Selling my TB, question?

bigcanoe

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
How can I find a fair price to sell it for? Do i need to remove the SIM card, do a hard reset, format the memory card? Anything else I need to do to it?

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I would look on Craigs list and ebay to see what there selling for and just do a factory reset and wipe any personal information off the sdcard. I don't think you need to do anything with the SIM card but could be wrong.

wildman

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Pull you sim card because it stores all account data, this is where the information for activating device and connecting to account.... Make sure to not give the 3G card with the device.

Also Craiglist is you best location to come to a decision on price.

project.in.process

May 18, 2010
Visit site
formatting the card is good--but not a complete wipe. if you're giving it to a family member--simple wipe; if you're selling it on craigslist to some stranger, you'll want to do a Secure Wipe of the card.

* Assuming you use Windows, mount the microSD card so you can view the drive (for example,"G") in Windows explorer.
* Open a command window on the computer (Start>run> cmd)
* Key in "cipher.exe /w:g:\" Remove the double quotes and replace "g" with whatever drive letter is appropriate. It means run cipher.exe in "wipe" mode on drive "g."
*this process can take up to an hour. so don't expect to do anything with the card for a little while. let it run until it's showing completed on the computer screen.

This writes random 1's&0's the card instead of just deleting information from it. just like deleting files from a computer--the information can be restored or recovered. this method of 'cypher'ing will delete & replace your information with fake data--should anyone try to recover anything.

BattleSwine

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure where the data on Wi-Fi connections is stored, but it survives factory resets..... I wouldn't want some one I don't know gaining Wi-Fi access to any of the networks I normally use. :mad:

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I would format the SD Card using the PC command line (i.e. format d: ) where "d:" is the drive letter of the SD Card on your PC. This does a low level format. If you use the built-in Windows GUI it will do a Quick format.

Next, I would remove the SIM card.

Next, I would replace the SD card, and boot up the phone into a Factory Reset. This should let the phone configure the SD Card as it should be for a brand new installation.

Phone should now ready for sale.

-Frank

Mortiel

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
formatting the card is good--but not a complete wipe. if you're giving it to a family member--simple wipe; if you're selling it on craigslist to some stranger, you'll want to do a Secure Wipe of the card.

* Assuming you use Windows, mount the microSD card so you can view the drive (for example,"G") in Windows explorer.
* Open a command window on the computer (Start>run> cmd)
* Key in "cipher.exe /w:g:\" Remove the double quotes and replace "g" with whatever drive letter is appropriate. It means run cipher.exe in "wipe" mode on drive "g."
*this process can take up to an hour. so don't expect to do anything with the card for a little while. let it run until it's showing completed on the computer screen.

This writes random 1's&0's the card instead of just deleting information from it. just like deleting files from a computer--the information can be restored or recovered. this method of 'cypher'ing will delete & replace your information with fake data--should anyone try to recover anything.

Bear in mind that any flash-type memory has a limited number of writes. Obvious this is moot when you are selling the phone, but if you were to be keeping such a type of memory, you will insanely degrade flash-type memory by doing any type of disk sanitation like what you were talking about.

Also, to the OP. If you format the SD card from a computer, format into FAT32, *never* use NTFS.