Think Outside Stowaway (igo) Keyboard

stirling

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Anyone have any luck pairing this keyboard to your Bolt? I get "paired but not connected" when I've tried so far, and haven't found anything on the web that helps yet.

nugiene

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
Anyone have any luck pairing this keyboard to your Bolt? I get "paired but not connected" when I've tried so far, and haven't found anything on the web that helps yet.

I've been trying that since the WM6 days of sense. From what I understand, there Bluetooth profiles needed for the keyboard and the mouse are HID. Those profiles were removed by HTC because it interfered with the operation of the new Sense. Therefore no HID Bluetooth device will work with the phones that have Sense on them. I tested the out when I had a Samsung omnia, they worked, Omnia 2 they worked, D2 they worked, Fascinate, they didn't work. That's when I began researching it. I have a friend who still has a HTC WM phone and the keyboard/mouse, they don't work. I've since sold my keyboard,but still have the mouse and haven't tried it in the thunderbolt because I bought a netbook for what I needed them for. You can try and load an AOSP Tom and see if it works, as far as I know it should, unless the Dec that compiled the rom didn't include the Bluetooth profile needed(HID). Sorry for the lecture, but I wanted to give what I know, there is also a thread in accessories in the Fascinate forum about this.

Last edited:

stirling

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Well, can't say I'm surprised, but it's not like I went out and bought this keyboard for the Thunderbolt. Heck it's been laying around since I put my Palm TX out to pasture.

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Just bought an HTC Amaze 4G (T-Mobile) and paired my old ThinkOutside Stowaway keyboard to it, no problem. Unfortunately, the ThinkOutside driver is needed for a lot of customization and settings, but the "expensive" little folding keyboard was made thoughtfully to comply with basic Bluetooth HID profiles for basic typing. Here's how to pair:

The pairing process can be secure or insecure ... with the appropriate driver/utility disc (which I had for my Nokia 6682 (Symbian)). For Androids and iPhones, you're doing a secure pairing ... without the driver/utility. As mentioned, hold down CTRL, LEFT FN (blue) and RIGHT FN (green) keys until the Keyboard Status Light (green LED above "T") starts blinking once per second. It's now in discoverable mode. Scan for devices on your mobile (Settings | Wireless | Bluetooth Options | Scan for devices), and select "Pair with this" when the correctly named keyboard comes up. Put in a PIN of 1-9 digits (numerals only) and click OK. Holding the LEFT FN (blue) key to enable numerals on your keyboard, enter the same numbers, and (still holding down LEFT FN) click Enter/OK/Select.

During normal operation, the Keyboard Status Light will blink slowly (once every four seconds), indicating it is connected and ready. If the light stops blinking, the keyboard has gone to sleep, just press the space bar or another key again. If the light glows red after opening, it means you need to replace the batteries.

If you didn't have a manual, you may not have known about how to enter the PIN into the keyboard ... understandable. But I suspect that HTC Sense is not the culprit ... it's an overlay on the Android OS, and I expect the basic OS has pretty robust HID input device capabilities.

Last edited:

AlanHCooper

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Just bought an HTC Amaze 4G (T-Mobile) and paired my old ThinkOutside Stowaway keyboard to it, no problem. Unfortunately, the ThinkOutside driver is needed for a lot of customization and settings, but the "expensive" little folding keyboard was made thoughtfully to comply with basic Bluetooth HID profiles for basic typing. Here's how to pair:

The pairing process can be secure or insecure ... with the appropriate driver (which I had for my Nokia 6682 (Symbian)). For Androids and iPhones, you're doing a secure pairing. As mentioned, hold down CTRL, LEFT FN (blue) and RIGHT FN (green) keys until the Keyboard Status Light (green LED above "T") starts blinking once per second. It's now discoverable. Scan for devices on your mobile, and select "Pair with this" when the correctly named keyboard comes up. Put in a PIN of 1-9 digits (numerals only) and click OK. Holding the LEFT FN (blue) key to enable numerals on your keyboard, enter the same numbers, and (still holding LEFT FN) click Enter/OK/Select.

Normally, the Keyboard Status Light will blink slowly (once every four seconds), indicating it is connected and ready. If the light stops blinking, the keyboard has gone to sleep, just press the space bar or another key again. If the light glows red after opening, it means you need to replace the batteries.

If you didn't have a manual, you may not have known about how to enter the PIN into the keyboard ... understandable. But I suspect that HTC Sense is not the culprit ... it's an overlay on the Android OS, and the basic OS would likely have pretty robust HID input device capabilities.

AlanHCooper

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
I also have an old iGo Stowaway Keyboard, which I'm trying to pair with a Samsung Galaxy S II. Your message suggests that you have to install a driver, and I have the installation disk for the Stowaway for Symbian, Palm and Windows Mobile OS, and I can't figure out how to do it, or, consequently, how to put in the initial PIN once I'm prompted to enter it. I assume that you have to do that through a PC when you install the sync program, none of which I can get to install. Any thoughts? Thanks.

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
I also have an old iGo Stowaway Keyboard, which I'm trying to pair with a Samsung Galaxy S II. Your message suggests that you have to install a driver, and I have the installation disk for the Stowaway for Symbian, Palm and Windows Mobile OS, and I can't figure out how to do it, or, consequently, how to put in the initial PIN once I'm prompted to enter it. I assume that you have to do that through a PC when you install the sync program, none of which I can get to install. Any thoughts? Thanks.

No, no. Don't install the Symbian driver on Android. Not needed (though my Gingerbread phone interprets the FN key combos a bit haphazardly). Just follow my instructions for pairing.

garyart1

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site

I followed through all the steps and it was able to pair with the keyboard by it shows as being "paired but not connected". There doesn't seem any way to connect it or choose this as a keyboard. Can't seem to get it to work.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol