Slloowww Calllennndddaaarrrr

soboness5

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Is it just me, or is the Thunderbolt's Calendar soooo sloooooow to load? This is my first Android, so I'm not sure if this is a common complaint, but it is driving me nuts!

When I open the calendar, it appears blank for a solid 10-15 seconds before anything will show up...same thing when i open a specific day on the calendar.

Any ideas about how to fix this? Or is it just a fact of life with a droid?

Thanks!

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Is it just me, or is the Thunderbolt's Calendar soooo sloooooow to load? This is my first Android, so I'm not sure if this is a common complaint, but it is driving me nuts!

When I open the calendar, it appears blank for a solid 10-15 seconds before anything will show up...same thing when i open a specific day on the calendar.

Any ideas about how to fix this? Or is it just a fact of life with a droid?

Thanks!
Mine opens in less than a second. Something is wrong on your phone. Do you have any more details to share? Are you rooted? HTC calendar? Normal local calendar? Or is it some kind of shared calendar? MR1/MR2? What calendar view? How did you populate it? Via the normal phone entry method or some kind of export/import from another source? On or off charge at the time?

-Frank

soboness5

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Mine opens in less than a second. Something is wrong on your phone. Do you have any more details to share? Are you rooted? HTC calendar? Normal local calendar? Or is it some kind of shared calendar? MR1/MR2? What calendar view? How did you populate it? Via the normal phone entry method or some kind of export/import from another source? On or off charge at the time?
-Frank

All very fair questions. I'll do my best to answer all of them:
-Not rooted
-HTC calendar
-Normal calendar as far as I can tell...just sync's with my google account. I have my work computer sync'ing with my google account via Google Sync, but that shouldn't matter as far as I can tell.
-Not sure if its MR1 or MR2...whatever the last OTA update was is what I have
-Both monthly view and daily view. If the month isn't yet loaded, it takes a long time to populate the 'status bars' (the bars that preview what meetings you have that day), and same thing with a daily view if the monthly view hadn't populated yet. Not sure how often the calendar refreshes, but if it needs to sync, it takes this long each time. After it loads the data, it is snappy until the next time it needs to refresh.

Obviously I understand that things take time to load when necessary, but it is incredibly inconvenient when someone asks for my availability and I have to stand there staring at my phone. Could be worse, but if there is any improvement to be had, it would be nice.

Thanks!

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
All very fair questions. I'll do my best to answer all of them:
-Not rooted
-HTC calendar
-Normal calendar as far as I can tell...just sync's with my google account. I have my work computer sync'ing with my google account via Google Sync, but that shouldn't matter as far as I can tell.
-Not sure if its MR1 or MR2...whatever the last OTA update was is what I have
-Both monthly view and daily view. If the month isn't yet loaded, it takes a long time to populate the 'status bars' (the bars that preview what meetings you have that day), and same thing with a daily view if the monthly view hadn't populated yet. Not sure how often the calendar refreshes, but if it needs to sync, it takes this long each time. After it loads the data, it is snappy until the next time it needs to refresh.

Obviously I understand that things take time to load when necessary, but it is incredibly inconvenient when someone asks for my availability and I have to stand there staring at my phone. Could be worse, but if there is any improvement to be had, it would be nice.

Thanks!

Well, I make all my changes on my phone and let them sync to Google. I suppose maybe what you are seeing is the "sync time" every time you start the calendar, since you apparently make all the calendar entries on the Google site, or your PC. By syncing to your PC separately, I think you may be kind of ensuring that the calendar on Google is almost always out of sync with your phone - resulting in more syncing. I dunno...

In any case, I've not seen anyone else complain about this. It certainly doesn't affect me. Perhaps someone who makes all/most of their entries on the Google web page or their PC, rather than the phone, can chime in with how long their phone takes to sync. I have literally never had to wait on my calendar to load. Even after making a change on the Google web page calendar. I didn't even think you'd have to wait on a sync before it loads. I thought it'd still just load right away without being up to date if you didn't give it time to sync.

I just noticed on my phone, when I go into Calendar | Menu | More I Calendars, I have only one calendar selected for view. You?

Sorry, that's all I have.

Edit: For a test, I just logged onto my gmail account and made a calendar change. Then (within the next half minute) I pulled up the calendar on my phone, and it loaded right away. And, the new test appointment was already there. So... beats me. Perhaps somehow you are causing the sync to re-write the entire calendar each time rather than just the new/changed entries? I'm stumped.

-Frank

Last edited:

realitydigg

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
I use google sync to sync outlook to google calendar, and use htc calendar on the phone and it opens right away.You might try clearing everything out on the phone and letting it re-populate. maybe something corrupted in there?

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
maybe something corrupted in there?
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Possibly only one entry causing the issue. That's why I asked about how the entries were populated (via export/import, etc.). There are absolutely known issues with export/import causing problems 'cuz of certain fields from MS Outlook not importing to Google correctly, and vice versa.

-Frank

soboness5

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
I just went ahead and cleared the app data...after the initial load it seems to be loading very quickly. Maybe there you are right about there being something corrupt in there. I'll keep an eye on it and report back...

Thanks for all of the input!

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I just went ahead and cleared the app data...after the initial load it seems to be loading very quickly. Maybe there you are right about there being something corrupt in there. I'll keep an eye on it and report back...

Good deal!

-Frank

realitydigg

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site

Great, hope that does it!

soboness5

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Hmmm not so fast...just tried opening the calendar again after a few hours and it had to reload everything again, and it still took forever. Haven't updated any appointments or done anything on the phone (e.g. restart). Frustrating. I'll take a look at my Google calendar in the am and see if anything looks out of place...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RemusGhostofRome