thunderbolt replaced... how to transfer application data?

jdport

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
Hey everybody,

My GPS was really flakey on my TB. The guy in the verizon store insisted it must be the phone and set me up to have the phone replaced under warrenty, despite my telling him I really didn't want to replace the phone. I love my phone, it works great.. the only issue i had was the ridiculously poor GPS. I wasn't having any other problems.... but alas, I have a replacement TB now. First, the market would not bring over my apps... I had to go to the web site and click on every damn app and have it loaded on my phone one by one. None of my settings transfered... what a pain in the ass.

So now I'm mostly back but my application data is stuck on my old phone. Does anybody know if there is a particular directory or something I can grab and bring over to the new phone to get my application data back? Some of the games like Angry Birds, Sheep At Stake, etc I'd like my level progress back.. and I have some other stuff, such as shoutcast streams I had programmed into Xiaa Lite.... Are these files scattered all around the phone, or is there a standard place for application data I can look?

Thanks for any help.

anthony2558

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Im assuming you have the SD card from the old phone or do you still have the old phone? If you still have the old phone in hand I would download Mybackup and backup apps/data to the sd card. Install the SD card into the new phone from the old phone and re-download mybackup and restore..

jdport

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
Im assuming you have the SD card from the old phone or do you still have the old phone? If you still have the old phone in hand I would download Mybackup and backup apps/data to the sd card. Install the SD card into the new phone from the old phone and re-download mybackup and restore..
I do still have the old phone. Can I still download My Backup to it though? If I put the sim card back in the old phone will it re-authorize that one to work on the network?

If I can do that, that's a great idea.

Also wildman, thanks for the link.. will check that out.

anthony2558

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
If its the same SIM card then its possible. But if you can use WiFi and not install the SIM card on the old phone that would be even better. Id hate to be wrong and you screw up the sim card. See if you can get a WiFi signal on your old phone and download it that way.

tcapote

Geek Freak
May 15, 2010
Visit site
And is your GPS issue resolved?

Transmitted from my Thunderbolt, on Verizon's 4G LTE Network using Tapatalk!

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Most applications can't be transferred and have to be installed again. Only apps that can be saved to your Micro SD card can be transferred. When I upgraded from the Incredible to the Thunderbolt, I had to basically start from scratch again with the apps I had. I know it is a pain, but that's the way it goes.

Green_Laser

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site

cool thanks!
i always wondered about that.

kentrol72

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
You don't have to use a sd card back up. On your new phone go to the browser and type in "market.android.com" (no www or quotation marks) then sign in with your gmail addy and password. This will bring up all things google and market under your account. It will show you every app you've dl'd and you can reinstall what you want one by one. It will also bring up a page where you can change your cc info for paying for apps if you need to change that or edit personal info.

Reactions: Green_Laser

anthony2558

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
You don't have to use a sd card back up. On your new phone go to the browser and type in "market.android.com" (no www or quotation marks) then sign in with your gmail addy and password. This will bring up all things google and market under your account. It will show you every app you've dl'd and you can reinstall what you want one by one. It will also bring up a page where you can change your cc info for paying for apps if you need to change that or edit personal info.
this is true but it dosent backup all of the data that was with the app, only the app..

jdport

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
That is correct, it was the applciation data I was hoping to recover.

I did take the above advice and downloaded MyBackup onto the old phone and backed up most of my applications. The one thing it didn't appear to backup was email which was disappointing... but it looked like it was going to work out pretty well. Unfortunately, when I put the SD card and battery back into the new phone and tried to restore the data I found out that I have to purchase the pro version of MyBackup to restore data backed up from a different phone. That was extremely disappointing and I didn't want to send the $5 to buy this application for this one use. I was kind of disgusted by that, but I decided just to suck it up and start all over with my application data rather than spending the $5. Most of the application data I an get back with a little effort..... my email was going to be lost regardless... I'm pretty sick of Angry Birds so I guess my level progress on those games doesn't matter that much :)

The worst part is that after all of this, the GPS is still crap. The new phone is exactly the same as the old one and there really was no need to warrenty the phone in the first place. I don't know why the GPS on the thunderbolt is so crappy. It seemed to work pretty well before the last update.. so maybe the next update when we get gingerbread will make it better :\

anthony2558

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Well that friggin sucks 5$ sorry it didn work out. Its really not that hard to start fresh anyway. Quick question in reference to GPS. Do you have wifi on..? Even if its not connected to anything it still makes the gps more accurate. if i turn my wifi off and go to use my gps i could be off by like 5 or six blocks in any direction turn it on, bam its exactly were im standing.

jdport

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
I did try turning on wifi, and it didn't seem to change much... but I will try it again.

The problem I have with the gps is that it just seems to keep losing the gps signal... I don't know if you ever use WAZE, but in that application it will show my cars location, and then it will suddenly bounce out and show a big circle around my approximate location... then it will grab back onto the signal and zoom back in on my car.... and keep bouncing back and forth like that. When I am actually using the GPS for navigation, I just use the navigation application instead of Waze and in that app my car will appear to just sit still and then will jump 2 miles up the road.... it will miss telling me to turn and stuff because I will come up to turns while the gps signal is weak. It's really annoying.

Green_Laser

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site

Also great for me to know. Sometimes its like I've been under a rock or something not being up to date with these things. I'll have to try this out ..neat thanks.

Green_Laser

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
I hope your gps gets better. Have you tried any gps apps to help clear and redownload gps data within the app?

When my gps takes a while to lock on I use an app called gps status which enables me to reset as well as redownload gps data which in turn helps for more faster as well as more accurate lock.

wildman

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
If your other device is rootable MyBackup will backup app data also but like all backup apps root is required to access personal data, also your email should be still on server and when you set it up the information should download to new device.

Fyrmedic654

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
If you didn't send the old phone back, just send back the replacement. VZW doesn't care which one they get back, as long as they get one. If you choose to root though, I love Mybackup Pro. I'm always upgrading everytime Team BAMF releases a new ROM and its really convenient to restore everything at one vs one at a time like with Titanium Backup.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Hey everybody,

My GPS was really flakey on my TB. The guy in the verizon store insisted it must be the phone and set me up to have the phone replaced under warrenty, despite my telling him I really didn't want to replace the phone. I love my phone, it works great.. the only issue i had was the ridiculously poor GPS. I wasn't having any other problems.... but alas, I have a replacement TB now. First, the market would not bring over my apps... I had to go to the web site and click on every damn app and have it loaded on my phone one by one. None of my settings transfered... what a pain in the ass.

So now I'm mostly back but my application data is stuck on my old phone. Does anybody know if there is a particular directory or something I can grab and bring over to the new phone to get my application data back? Some of the games like Angry Birds, Sheep At Stake, etc I'd like my level progress back.. and I have some other stuff, such as shoutcast streams I had programmed into Xiaa Lite.... Are these files scattered all around the phone, or is there a standard place for application data I can look?

Just so you know, if a rep tells you to get a replacement and you don't want one and they are telling you YOU need it........when the package arrives, you have the right to decline it. You don't have to accept it. I hope the GPS is better on your replacement device. I was told today to get a replacement or do a factory reset. I declined to do both. I may have to do a reset, but I hope not. And I didn't want a replacement because I have a new phone and didn't want a refurbished. It is two days past the 14 days. Mine is a different issue, but still, you can say no !

Thanks for any help.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I did try turning on wifi, and it didn't seem to change much... but I will try it again.

The problem I have with the gps is that it just seems to keep losing the gps signal... I don't know if you ever use WAZE, but in that application it will show my cars location, and then it will suddenly bounce out and show a big circle around my approximate location... then it will grab back onto the signal and zoom back in on my car.... and keep bouncing back and forth like that. When I am actually using the GPS for navigation, I just use the navigation application instead of Waze and in that app my car will appear to just sit still and then will jump 2 miles up the road.... it will miss telling me to turn and stuff because I will come up to turns while the gps signal is weak. It's really annoying.

I use Google nav. Always perfect

sent from my Thunderbolt via tapatalk