no more unlimited data on verizon

smalltank

May 30, 2011
Visit site
I knew a month before vzw was going tiered to compete with at..so grandfathered months now..Sprint isn't saying it will tier any data even when iPhone5 comes out

Joelist

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
GPS does not affect data allotments. It is a separate signal directly between the phone and GPS satellites, assuming your phone is using its own GPS chip and not using the data connection as a "faux GPS".

ji001

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
GPS does not affect data allotments. It is a separate signal directly between the phone and GPS satellites, assuming your phone is using its own GPS chip and not using the data connection as a "faux GPS".

Maps are downloaded on the fly. No data = no map.

Effenhimer

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
I'm at about 5 gb at the moment, still have 2 weeks left in our month, my son is at about 7 gb, and my niece is at about 2 gb. I watch a lot of Netflix, Hulu and stream music ALL DAY, (my son is a Youtube junky, making, uploading and watching videos all the time). In my area 4G = 17-22mbs, almost all public wifi hot spots (NOT in my home which is still only 10mbs = .7-1.2mbs... Lets do the math. I pay to use this service that I was and still am encouraged by VZW to use, and use often, so I do.

And by the way, if you upgrade ANY smart phone (grandfathered or not), you go to a tiered data plan. Once you are off contract, they have the option to notify you that they do not offer unlimited plans anymore, and then switch you to whatever plan they see fits your average data use for the month, you can't "renew unlimited" now that they don't offer it. If you got it when they offered it still, your good until the end of the term, we were the last to have it.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I am grandfathered in. I just upgraded early and still have. I will continually have it. I wont be worried about being told I have to go tiered. I have unlimited internet for my laptop as well. I have had that for over 8 years. If I wanted 4g on my laptop I would lose it but I am not needing it. I have been told to not be concerned and am not. Those of us who have the unlimited data are safe

sent from my Thunderbolt

dragonsamus

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
I was thinking that exact thing SHYGAR. When I am home...I switched to my WiFi router. When I am at starbucks or the other gazillion WiFi hotspots I switch...even when I am at work I switch to the WiFi. Between 2 smartphones on my plan (my son and mine), we use about 1GB.

Not to go off topic but I used to switch to WiFi at work to save battery and because it was faster than my 3G Incredible but since hearing about how using public WiFi isn't safe do to people being able to sniff out info I no longer use public WiFi. Maybe I'm just paranoid.

Tower72

Gigantic Member
Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
does any one know when or why verizon did this do they not think its going to effect there sells and costemers i guesss we will all have to go to sprint if your not all ready grand fathered in on the unlimmited allready

I wouldnt go back to Sprint personally. I came from there and their 3G speeds are laughable at best. What good is unlimited data when most of it is spent buffering while trying to watch youtube. Pandora or any other music streaming service was a joke. I live outside Milwaukee and even inside the major city I wasnt pulling more then 500k downloads and at times it was even 75..yes 75kb

deviouslylost

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
I have been grandfathered in, thankfully. I am hoping that VZW never makes me switch to tiered. I use about 5 GB of data a month depending on my work schedule. The more I am at work the more I use my data to download and surf the web.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
If the customer's reminder isn't perfect they can check their data on My Verizon. It is a good option and it shows exactly what they are using

MacQ32

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
You will always be grandfathered in as long as you maintain your unlimited plan at all times, whether you're in contract/ upgrade or not. I work for VZW, I've said this a thousand times.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Reactions: defcon999

Effenhimer

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
You will always be grandfathered in as long as you maintain your unlimited plan at all times, whether you're in contract/ upgrade or not. I work for VZW, I've said this a thousand times.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Funny, I was told the exact opposite before and after I got my TB, that if I didn't catch the grandfathered in contract this time, I would be getting tiered plan options if I waited for the Bionic (since it was going to come out after unlimited was being cut). And that after the conract was up, I would have to pick a tiered plan. (I've been with VZW for about 8 years.)

Did I then get swindled into buying a TB and getting the 2 year contract by VZW?? (At the time 1 year contracts were still being offered for an extra $100, and I was on the ropes about waiting for the Bionic...) :mad:

Last edited:

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
If the customer's reminder isn't perfect they can check their data on My Verizon. It is a good option and it shows exactly what they are using

I'm a little confused about "My Verizon". I have the little widget thingie, and it seems to be tracking my usage fairly accurately (the numbers are pretty believable), but underneath the MB used is "Unlimited".

I click on the widget, and I just started a new contract month, and I show "1/30 Days, 1.83MB/UNLMTD" on the data bars under "My Data Usage".

It's a corporate plan, but I just got the phone a week ago. It's a brand-new number to the company, as far as I am aware. I can't see how it possibly got grandfathered into the Unlimited plan.

Does that mean that:

1. My company somehow managed to get an unlimited plan for all of us (we've been with Verizon for a while, but my specific contract is new) and they're just telling us our plan is limited to 2GB because they don't want us using the phone too much?

2. The fact that my phone is part of a corporate plan and I'm not the plan administrator means I don't have access to my limits?

3. My Verizon Mobile has a bug that doesn't really show the real plan caps?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FarajWala800