Data Connectivity Issues

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I've been having data connetivity problems (especially in 4G areas) since MR1 in May. It seemed to improve somewhat after MR2 but is now is more frequent again with the GB OTA. I'm still convinced that the problem is not merely the firmware but is also related to Verizon's new 3G & 4G network technology. It was predicted by some who are familiar with the more difficult hand-offs with GSM (which is the basis for LTE). Verizon just hasn't mastered this yet. Maybe they never will, but I'm generally optimistic. As an added incentive for Verizon to figure this out, since May I've only been paying half of my monthly data charges until they get this fixed. If more people did this, it might incentivise them a little more.

Thanks, Robrecht

Are you just doing this on your own (risking cancellation and bad credit report) or has VZW given you the "discount"?

robrecht

Pretty good member
Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Are you just doing this on your own (risking cancellation and bad credit report) or has VZW given you the "discount"?
LOL, no, I suggested it a few months ago and Verizon ageed. I wanted to incentivise them a little bit. Maybe if everyone did this, it might incentivise them a little more to fix the problem. It wouldn't work too well if I just stopped fully paying my bill--pretty sure they would just be incentivised to cancel my service.

Thanks, Robrecht

dontlookatme

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
It has to do with 4G phones ability to connect to the data signal. I have the same problems. I've gone to the settings and put it on data always on. And it still does it. I thought it was juice defender, so I uninstalled it. But it keeps doing it. I just heard that this happens when the fone switches from 4G to 3g. And it gets stuck in between. So it rather drops the connection and it takes a while to reconnect.

robrecht

Pretty good member
Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
It has to do with 4G phones ability to connect to the data signal. I have the same problems. I've gone to the settings and put it on data always on. And it still does it. I thought it was juice defender, so I uninstalled it. But it keeps doing it. I just heard that this happens when the fone switches from 4G to 3g. And it gets stuck in between. So it rather drops the connection and it takes a while to reconnect.
Don't focus only on the phone's ability to connect to a data signa, but also on the transition to new network technology that has much more complicated hand-offs. LTE is built on GSM technology, which has inherently more difficult instantaneous hand-offs rather than phased handshakes. In addition, you have deployment of eHRPD, which is being rolled out to facilitate hand-offs between LTE and EVDO and 1xRTT. I think difficulties in fine tuning the network to seamlessly handle all these (and more) is why VoLTE is being pushed back. Imagine all voice calls also being subject to the same kind of inconsistencies we've been experiencing with high speed data.

Thanks, Robrecht

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma