Where is Gingerbread??

tcorkum

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
I too have been waiting for the GB update but after seeing that it is not going to make that big of a difference the only real reason to get upset now is that every other HTC device is getting it before the TB. I thought that we purchased the top of the line phone with the promise of GB running on the phone sooner rather than never......
:'(
It is a respect thing now...;)

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
No need for such an attitude Vinny. Being rude will get you no where. The Rep was wrong to inform you. When the update is released it will be pushed to your phone. I don't believe all they say. I sold wireless and I would call customer care if a question was asked and I was u certain. If no one in the store knew I certainly wouldn't make up an answer . Giving out wrong answers is a bad reflection on the persons integrity.

sent from my Thunderbolt via tapatalk

ToddL

May 7, 2011
Visit site
Yay! Another "where's the Gingerbread!" thread! Huzzah! Are we done with them for today now?
Aren't we about due for another "When I went to check for a software upgrade, it said service unavailable. Last time that happened it was when MR2 came out. Is this a sign?" thread.

opjones

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
I started a thread about an update when the tb first came out and we were all waiting for an update. But my dumbass held the volumn button down on a power up and had a pg05img file still sitting on my sd card. So i did the install and it wiped my phone. I felt like a tool :D

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
If Verizon rushes an update, i.e. MR1, and it has a ton of flaws and causes everyone running it get multiple random reboots everyday, everyone bashes Verizon for not quality testing the update prior to releasing it. When Verizon takes the time to make sure everything works, everyone bashes Verizon for taking too long.

Can't have your cake and eat it too folks.

I took matters into my own hands a long time ago. I'm currently running BAMF Forever 1.0.6, and guess what? It's a buttery-smooth Gingerbread ROM with very few bugs that runs absolutely fantastic. Here's the thing though, in the past two weeks or so, since ADR first let Forever out into the wild, it has undergone 5 version changes and quite a few patches along the way, many of which required a full data wipe. Granted, I could just wait until the updates settle down and I know the ROM is stable, but I wanted to install the new ROM, and have been willing to deal with the data wipes and time it takes to restore all my settings every time I install each successive version.

Verizon does not have that luxury, they don't have a user/developer relationship with their customer base understanding the users that can be used to collect bug reports (I mean, would it fly with anyone if Verizon said, "there may be some bugs, just let us know and we'll *try* to fix them as we go!"). Verizon also doesn't have the luxury of being able to release a software, and then for the next two weeks keep pushing new versions of that software out with updates (and asking folks to wipe their data in the process).

Nope, Verizon can't do any of that, they need to make sure that what they release works, works well, and works with EVERY feature they advertise...and it also needs to be able to be installed OVER your existing software without deleting any of your data. It's not easy, it takes time, I'm sure they want to be able to push the update out just as much as everyone wants them to. The 4G LTE radio has been a big hurdle in both software and hardware design since it was released, and unfortunately for us early adopters, that sometimes means we'll have to wait a while longer for new software versions to vetted before we are able to use them.

...sorry about the rant.

Reactions: Mortiel

Shryne

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
I'd bet a dozen Nathan's Famous hotdogs the update rolls out monday evening.

Don't quote me tuesday if it doesn't happen. I will have eaten them by then anyway.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I started a thread about an update when the tb first came out and we were all waiting for an update. But my dumbass held the volumn button down on a power up and had a pg05img file still sitting on my sd card. So i did the install and it wiped my phone. I felt like a tool :D

Great warning.

daveshifty

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
I am currently running the latest GB leak/RU on my Tbolt software #2.11.605.2. The only major changes I see are ability to use the FFC in apps like Google +, Skype etc etc and Sense 2.1 Battery life has improved. I have had my phone off the charger since 7:30 and my phone is reporting I still have another 4h 45m left on the battery. before I installed this RUU my phone would be dead by 1:30 PM. If this turns out not to be the official RUU... am I correct in thinking the official RUU will be available to grab?

Whosurdaddy

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
I am currently running the latest GB leak/RU on my Tbolt software #2.11.605.2. The only major changes I see are ability to use the FFC in apps like Google +, Skype etc etc and Sense 2.1 Battery life has improved. I have had my phone off the charger since 7:30 and my phone is reporting I still have another 4h 45m left on the battery. before I installed this RUU my phone would be dead by 1:30 PM. If this turns out not to be the official RUU... am I correct in thinking the official RUU will be available to grab?

Wouldn't the newer version of the update then be numbered differently/higher and pushed to all of us OTA?

daveshifty

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
Wouldn't the newer version of the update then be numbered differently/higher and pushed to all of us OTA?

Well since I am running an unreleased leak of Gingerbread.. then it would probably not update to the official release as the updater is probably searching for previous official releases.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParkerAdams