Can I keep one market account and dump the other one?

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I just got an update notice in notifier bar so I pulled it down to update but only google maps and youtube are present. I left the market and restarted phone then choose my apps in the market and it says "2 installed" and only lists google maps and youtube as installed.

All my apps are still in the tray and all seem to work but I'm afraid this means if I did a factory reset market doesn't know to reinstall my paid apps!

I'm totally stock. Mqrket used to work fine.

I just installed angry birds seasons from market. It installs and runs fine. What's more its added to the list along with the other two in the market under my apps but none of the others are there. I've never used amazon or out of market apps.

Anybody know what's going on?

Last edited:

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Sorry, just figured it out....

I have 2 gmail accounts. I didn't know it but there is one set of apps for one account (only 3) and the rest are installed under my usual account. I thought the market was linked to the phone - not eqch individual gmail id.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I have 2 gmail accounts. I always have had two. The thing is I only had ONE market account and that's how i prefer it. Every time I get an update notice and swipe it down to update the market opens my secondary email account. (And the app needing the update is in the primary account - notbthe one that opens!) The only apps on it are google maps and you tube.

Is there any way I can keep my 2 gmail accounts on my phone but restrict the market to one account?

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Is there any way I can keep my 2 gmail accounts on my phone but restrict the market to one account?
Nope.... I really hope they change this one day though where you can have all apps linked to two different email accounts. The only way would be to factory reset the phone and then use the other account to set up the phone.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I think you may have misunderstood me. I set up the phone with my primary gmail account. I added the secondary gmail account later. My complaint is all of my apps are under the primary account but 2 are also in the secondary account. This means when I go to the market I have to double check that market is set for primary gmail and not secondary one. Lately I find market set to secondary account half the time. Then I have to uninstall it, change accounts in market, and reinstall. This never happened to me before the market update.

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I think you may have misunderstood me. I set up the phone with my primary gmail account. I added the secondary gmail account later. My complaint is all of my apps are under the primary account but 2 are also in the secondary account. This means when I go to the market I have to double check that market is set for primary gmail and not secondary one. Lately I find market set to secondary account half the time. Then I have to uninstall it, change accounts in market, and reinstall. This never happened to me before the market update.
I think you might have to kiss those two apps goodby as far as getting them over to your primary account. Hopefully they are free and you can just unintall under the secondary and reinstall under the primary, using the market.

After that, you might consider deleting your secondary gmail account from the phone and re-adding it using standard IMAP or POP protocol, rather than gmail.

-Frank

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
The two apps are google maps and you tube so they won't uninstall. I tried and then reinstalled under primary account but they're still there in secondary account. I'd really rather not lose functionality of secondary gmail as gmail but thanks anyway.

teflon#AC

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
The exact same thing happened to me last week. I'm on a Sprint Epic 4G. I have never used my second gmail address for the market, but the same two apps show up on that account. I haven't found a solution yet.

The market has been totally messed up ever since the update.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I deleted my secondary email account and updated youtube and google.maps in my primary account then set up the secondary account again....but google maps.and you tube csme right back to secondary account.

I also had a weird issue today in which gmail wouldn't sync for about 6 hours. The uninstalll and reinstall of secondary account got both accounts syncing again.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I bet whoever "fixes" these things is totally unaware of the issue. I wish we could.call google tech support on the phone.

madeincanon

May 28, 2011
Visit site
I have the same problem, but what I did was go to the Market on your phone and hit the menu button and select accounts. Then just select the other gmail account you have synced.

spitacular1

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
This is already a known bug with Market versions 3.1.3 and 3.1.5

it only occurs when you hit the notification bar..when you see there are updates available just open the market, don't touch the notification itself.

For some reason when you have multiple gmail accounts on one phone, touching the notification will switch it to your secondary gmail account (which will be the second one you added, even if you have more than two)

There may be a fix by turning off notifications in the market account you don't use, but that's just my theory I haven't tested it.. I simply uninstalled updates and am using an older version which is flawless.

amoricaorbust

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
There's no need to delete your second gmail account from your phone. I have 7 on mine. To switch back to your preferred google market account just launch the market on your phone, hit the menu button and select "accounts". A pop up menu should come up listing all the google accounts on your phone. Select the one you want and you should be good to go.

spitacular1

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
Yes, but that does not stop it from occurring again and again.

And if they are not paying attention, and purchase an app on their other gmail account, it will be in that account forever.

There is currently no way to transfer market purchases between gmail accounts according to Google, they said the only way is to contact the developer or each app and see if they will refund your purchase once you buy it again under your new gmail.

But if someone is willing to try turning off Market notifications in their other gmail account(s), then see if the bug still happens, we may find the solution.

I guess I can reinstall 3.1.5 and try it myself. I'll post the results here once I've tested it.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Can I uninstall the market app update in stock gb tbolt?

When u turn off notifications in one gmail market account it shuts them off I ALL accounts.

bigtony777

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
New to android and trying to set up my wife's phone. I would like to have my gmail setup as the market account, but don't wan't the email to come through. Is there a way to do this?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae