VZW 4G issues - not just a thunderbolt issue...

gvillager

Oct 31, 2009
Visit site
Nothing new here. Only time I have this problem is when I come up out of the subway. It takes a few minutes to acquire 4g but that's something that I'm willing to live with.

Ed Witles

May 4, 2011
Visit site
For me, it goes from a somewhat strong LTE to no data at all. Yet OpenSignal sees an LTE signal source.

So I toggle either Mobile Network or the LTE/CDMA and it comes back. Sometimes it comes back on its own. But is very annoying...

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Your point?
My point is that this "total loss of any data connection at all" is a very well known, very well documented, and very unjustifiable ongoing issue with all of VZW's LTE phones. As per many reports, there are certain conditions/people who do not suffer from this and have never seen this. I personally have never seen the magnetic North Pole. But I know it is there anyway.

I'm not surprised this thread is resulting in YAR (Yet Another Rehash) of individual's claiming no real issues, not a big deal, suggesting workarounds, etc. I'm happy for them. I usually don't have issues either. And when I do I know enough about my phone to get data back (unless it is actually down on the VZW side -- rare).

However, denying that there is anything for VZW's LTE engineers to be concerned about is just putting your head in the sand. Admittedly, VZW has a history of being quite good at that and many members here have learned from VZW.

-Frank

dannychaos

High Five Champion
Mar 10, 2010
Visit site
I been having connectivity issues for about. 4 days now. One day I had 1x the other I had between none, 1x to 3g and no 4g and now I had 4g early last night and around 12am it went to 3g and stayed. It's really annoying but I noticed if I pulled the battery and sim out it would temporarly tix the problem.

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I been having connectivity issues for about. 4 days now. One day I had 1x the other I had between none, 1x to 3g and no 4g and now I had 4g early last night and around 12am it went to 3g and stayed. It's really annoying but I noticed if I pulled the battery and sim out it would temporarly tix the problem.
Just to be clear, although the scenario you describe is annoying, to be sure, this is not the most serious manifestation of this radio issue. At least your radio (according to your description) did not totally lose all data. That is the biggie. While these LTE radios are playing around acquiring/re-acquiring signals, they often go into "la-la-land" and you are left with no data connection at all. That is the real big complaint so many people have.

-Frank

gvillager

Oct 31, 2009
Visit site
My point is that this "total loss of any data connection at all" is a very well known, very well documented, and very unjustifiable ongoing issue with all of VZW's LTE phones. As per many reports, there are certain conditions/people who do not suffer from this and have never seen this. I personally have never seen the magnetic North Pole. But I know it is there anyway.

I'm not surprised this thread is resulting in YAR (Yet Another Rehash) of individual's claiming no real issues, not a big deal, suggesting workarounds, etc. I'm happy for them. I usually don't have issues either. And when I do I know enough about my phone to get data back (unless it is actually down on the VZW side -- rare).

However, denying that there is anything for VZW's LTE engineers to be concerned about is just putting your head in the sand. Admittedly, VZW has a history of being quite good at that and many members here have learned from VZW.

-Frank

Your being overly dramatic. And I'm not denying that its a problem that needs to be addressed. I'm sure VZW is aware of the problem, but in typical VZW fashion they are taking their good 'ol time with implementing a fix. I stopped stressing about these issues a long time ago.

Reactions: Dirty Crow

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I live in an area with no 4G and many areas where I drop from 3G to 1x frequently and to "no signal" occasionally. What I've experienced is that the Thunderbolt recovers poorly from a low-to-no-signal scenario. A complete loss of either WiFi or Cell data will often (certainly not the majority of the time, but often, as in every couple of days) result in me not getting data until I toggle into and out of airplane mode.

Twice it's required a reboot to get my data back.

I think there's some form of systemic problem where the radio will be too aggressive at trying to hold on to a signal that no longer exists, and not aggressive enough at trying to figure out what resources are available to it NOW. I suspect that's why the "airplane mode" toggle works most of the time - it forces a new search for a signal, in essence telling the phone to stop trying to hold on to a signal that isn't there any more and allowing the phone to "start from scratch" and find the best signal that actually still exists.

But that's just a guess.

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Your being overly dramatic. And I'm not denying that its a problem that needs to be addressed. I'm sure VZW is aware of the problem, but in typical VZW fashion they are taking their good 'ol time with implementing a fix. I stopped stressing about these issues a long time ago.
Perhaps. And, I really wasn't directing my comments specifically at your post, or I shouldn't have.

There are many LTE oldies/newbies here and I was just trying to clarify the actual issue. It seems in most of these discussions the actual issue usually gets totally derailed by workarounds/fixes/root-suggestions to change radios, etc. By restating the actual manifestation of this issue I had hoped folks unfamiliar with it would understand it.

-Frank

agunjal

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
I bought a Thunderbolt 3 weeks ago. I constantly lose data all day long. I even switched into 3G and its the same issue. I opened a ticket yesterday and told that its a "Know HTC Issue" and its been escalated to HTC. Not the answer i wanted to hear...time to go back to the iPhone

Edwill86

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I loose data every now and again, but normally in low service areas. if it doesn't come back turning airplane mode on and off (reset data connection) seems to clear things up. its new tech with some bugs still, and it doesn't happen enough to complain about it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bluegarland692