New Gingerbread OTA - Do Stock VZW Voicemail Notifications Work?

The Gingerbread OTA - Do Voicemail Notifications work correctly?

• Total voters

SMD

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
There are so many individual posts asking this and so few clear answers. Sometimes a poll helps clear things up so we see the big picture. The question is for those who have downloaded the newest OTA update (Gingerbread) on your Thunderbolt and who use normal STOCK voicemail (not visual voicemail). Any VM issues? Vote away...

Last edited:

jf2go

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Re: New Gingerbread OTA - Does Voicemail Notifications Work?

Voicemail notifications broken for me since the update. I am using the stock voicemail - no Visual Voicemail or Google. Hopefully they will come up with a fix for this soon.

Reactions: bigron68

Adrynalyne

Account Deactivated
Dec 24, 2009
Visit site

To specify to the one person who voted they do work:

Voice mail is what is being discussed here.

Not visual voice mail.

bjboucher

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site

To specify to the one person who voted they do work:

Voice mail is what is being discussed here.

Not visual voice mail.

Not google voice either....I hate when people say "my voicemail works fine" then in fine print "I use google voice". Been seeing that a lot too.

anon(113926)

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site

No notifications here, also using stock voice mail. Hopefully a fix is coming soon!

Mike_is_Mike

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site

Call yourself and find out. Hint, don't answer the phone when it rings. ;)

jrapp

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site

Not working. I can't believe they released it like this.

Benny879

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site

This has been a problem in every gingerbread leak that was released. Its amazing this wasn't caught in testing because its been a well known bug in the rooted community for a long time now.

Adrynalyne

Account Deactivated
Dec 24, 2009
Visit site

Mine is ok (not using visual VM)

Try calling yourself, with visual voice mail disabled or turned off. WIth the phone booted up.

I am not buying it works for you, but not for the majority of others. Everyone is getting the same software.

jdg1

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site

If I knew how to tweet I'd ask HTC or Verizon what's up with this now that they officially released it with this issue.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site

I posted this on another thread, so I figured I'd reprint it here...

Most of us who are rooted and running GB ROMs have already been dealing with this for a while.

My suggestion? Switch to Google Voice for VM. I suggest this not just as a "workaround", but as very functional replacement for the standard VM service. After using it for a few months now, I can't see myself going back, even if HTC/Verizon were to fix the VM notifications.

There are a few nice configurable options, including email notifications when VMs are waiting. This is very nice for folks who, like myself, often have to work in buildings with no cell service, as I can still know when messages are left for me without having to powerup and phone and search for a signal.

Anyway, all you need to do is signup for a Google Voice number if you haven't already, make sure you have the Voice app, and then setup your Verizon account to forward your VM service to Google Voice. here are the instructions I used:

http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/voice/thread?tid=00a93855af6943b4&start=80

*I'm not saying Verizon shouldn't fix the VM notification issue (nor do I want to get into an argument about that), I'm just suggesting an alternative that does work, and in my opinion is better than the service Verizon offers. You opinion may vary.

Reactions: defcon999

Bakerboy2253

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site

I am using visual voicemail and no problems. After seeing this thread, I have called myself several times and left messages and received a notification icon and my sound that plays when i receive a VM.
I am running a stock phone

dnrperez

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site

Just installed the update and no VM indicators. Have already missed calls and after an hour of waiting nada, but had messages showing from after update.

MegaSoundwave76

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site

Same for me. Using Stock Voicemail (no visual voicemail) and don't get a notification in the notification area. I did notice that it does register if you have a voicemail when you go into the stock sms messages app and slide over to the voicemail tab. I did this like 4 times last night to make sure that was the case. Wow, can't believe they missed that.

Reactions: TBoltJ

jf2go

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site

OP - I wish that your Poll title said something like "New Gingerbread OTA - Do Stock Voicemail Notifications Work?

The description for your poll is very clear, but I believe that some people are voting "yes" before reading that you are asking abut the stock voicemail notifications. From what I have read, Visual Voicemail and Google VM work fine, but I don't think that anyone's stock notification is working correctly. For me, if I have voicemails and reboot the phone, I will see the voicemail noticfication. If I listen to the voicemails, the notification won't go away until I reboot again.

Adam Z

May 3, 2011
Visit site

I'm guessing it will be months until VZW fixes this issue, if ever since all of the leaks that came out had this problem and they still didn't fix it. So, what's a good vm alternative? I'm not really wanting to use Google Voice because I don't need another phone number.

Adrynalyne

Account Deactivated
Dec 24, 2009
Visit site

I am using visual voicemail and no problems. After seeing this thread, I have called myself several times and left messages and received a notification icon and my sound that plays when i receive a VM.
I am running a stock phone

Friend, we have said over and over.

This is not about visual voice mail. This is about Verizon voice mail. You know, the included service that comes with your phone plan?

DJ Matryx

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site

I'm guessing it will be months until VZW fixes this issue, if ever since all of the leaks that came out had this problem and they still didn't fix it. So, what's a good vm alternative? I'm not really wanting to use Google Voice because I don't need another phone number.

Just because when you sign up for google voice you get another phone number doesn't mean you have to use it, just for the purposes of getting getting voicemail notifications. You can use google voice to get voicemail notifications and not use the google voice number at all. Another alternative is called YouMail. Just download the app, set up the account on their website and off you go. Not at feature rich as google voice is but gets the job done ok.

Reactions: Adam Z

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon