Quick Settings (GB) vs Quick Settings (app)

robrecht

Pretty good member
Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
So I was not one of those guys holding my breath for Gingerbread 'cause I knew it would only bring a couple of minor enhancements. And I've seen a couple so far, but have known all along the most worthless would be the new Quick Settings tab in the pull-down menu.

It is much less functional than an app that many of us have been using for quite some time also called, strangely enough, Quick Settings.

In one step (instead of two) the free version of Quick Settings gives you configurable access to many more quick settings. In addition to those available in Gingerbread, you also have:

Items available on the top bar:
- Battery meter
- Flashlight
- Percent of phone and microSD free

Other items available in a menu (order is configurable):
- Screen brightness
- Volume control: an extra tap gives you six different sliders for ringer, notification, media, alarm, voice call, & system volume and a check box to make your notification volume the same as your ringer volume
- Auto Rotation on/off
- Screen timeout
- Airplane mode
- Auto-sync data
- Master volume
- Ringer
- Unlock pattern

So far I've just been describing the free app, but there's also a paid version that I have not yet seen a need for. The free app does not have any annoying ads.

So if you're feeling a little underwhelmed by Gingerbread's Quick Settings, I highly recommend using this app instead.

Reactions: Mike_is_Mike

Mike_is_Mike

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
So I was not one of those guys holding my breath for Gingerbread 'cause I knew it would only bring a couple of minor enhancements. And I've seen a couple so far, but have known all along the most worthless would be the new Quick Settings tab in the pull-down menu.

It is much less functional than an app that many of us have been using for quite some time also called, strangely enough, Quick Settings.

In one step (instead of two) the free version of Quick Settings gives you configurable access to many more quick settings. In addition to those available in Gingerbread, you also have:

Items available on the top bar:
- Battery meter
- Flashlight
- Percent of phone and microSD free

Other items available in a menu (order is configurable):
- Screen brightness
- Volume control: an extra tap gives you six different sliders for ringer, notification, media, alarm, voice call, & system volume and a check box to make your notification volume the same as your ringer volume
- Auto Rotation on/off
- Screen timeout
- Airplane mode
- Auto-sync data
- Master volume
- Ringer
- Unlock pattern

So far I've just been describing the free app, but there's also a paid version that I have not yet seen a need for. The free app does not have any annoying ads.

So if you're feeling a little underwhelmed by Gingerbread's Quick Settings, I highly recommend using this app instead.

Thanks for the tip. Gingerbread's Quick Settings seem fine to me, but I will check out the other app.