Tip - download voice pack after upgrade

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
After update you have to go to settings voice input and output and select download voice pack or you will lose text to voice funtion.
Although I've never used it, I installed it. Actually, rather than "Download", mine said "Install Voice Data".

-Frank

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I know I never did but my email notifier is text to voice so I knew something was wrong when it didn't work. Hope I save someone some aggravation.

Yes, it installed like an app.

jjcampnr

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Interesting, I wonder if this is why voice dialing from my Bluetooth headset stopped working after the upgrade to Gingerbread. I didn't do this on Froyo but maybe it's something that needs to be done after the upgrade. My Jawbone ICON still works, but the phone stopped talking back to me. It wouldn't tell me when to say the command or who it was calling, but it would still take commands and complete the call. Installing to see if this fixes it.

EDIT: Yes, this fixed my issue. Thank you so much for the post, having voice dial working makes my life much easier.

Last edited:

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Glad I saw this. Now my BT says the commands. And......my battery life is better too !

sent from my Thunderbolt via tapatalk

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
But when I delete messages voice message indicator wont disappear from screen

sent from my Thunderbolt via tapatalk

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I didn't install anything and I just posted this with voice to text...

That makes sense. The voices are for text-to-voice. Voice-to-text doesn't need text-to-voice data files. If you had tried to do something that has audio feedback, you might have had less success.

I was prompted to download them the first time I tried to start Google Navigation. It dumped me to the Marketplace with the voice file download pre-selected, I clicked "install", it did its thing and Navigation was happy again.

I think some programs do a good job of prompting you to tell you the voice files are missing and either mentioning that you need to get them or sending you to the Market to get them. Others (like voice dialing) apparently just ignore it and pretend the voice worked or fail in other ways.

So, like the original post on the thread says, just go download the voice files as soon as the upgrade is complete to save yourself the potential headache of trying to use an app that is trying (and failing) to use text-to-voice. You never know when you might need it, and it's not that large a download.

Another tip: I find that setting the voice to "slow" speed rather than normal makes it far more understandable. Pico is not a very nice voice synthesis no matter what, but slowing it down at least gives me a chance of understanding it.

Or you can speed it up so you don't have to listen to it as long. :D :D :D

Kronko

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
I always do it and I did it this time as well. Mainly because I always do a factory reset when a new version of Android is installed.

Good for everyone to know though.