Gingerbread - failed to validate whole-file

jurm0001

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
sorry if this is posted else where.

i downloaded the gingerbread update yesterday which went fine. but when the phone restarts i get and error stating "failed to validate whole-file...".

my phone is currently rooted on the 1.70.605 build.

my question is, do i need to be unrooted to dload and run this update or am i missing something?

thanks in advance.

Antiseen

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
I'm beginning to see why people advise against using easy root methods. Don't get me wrong, I used revolutionary but I spent about two weeks researching everything and learned the adb method and felt more than comfortable doing it that way.

On my simple research travels I came across, more than a few times, the easy to follow advice of never apply an ota update to a rooted phone. Bad things happen. And they do, as I've read at least 50 times in the past day.

I mean, if you're so bothered to root your phone, why wouldn't you know what you're getting into and how to go about the simplest things?

As for the op: there are ways to get this update on a rooted phone if you search around. You'll lose all your data, but c'est la vie.

Kronko

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
Sorry, not trying to be rude but it surprises me how things like this happen. I always visit many sites about Android phones and tables because I use both of them and everywhere I can see "Do not accept any OTA upgrades if you are rooted". I am not rooted but I cannot miss this warning that are everywhere. If a person rooted his/her phone, most likely should be reading all this root related posts.

Sorry that you got into that problem.

Reactions: fdisker2000

jurm0001

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
thanks for replies.

im pretty knowledgeable about android and the system and adb and other tools associated with it. just reaching out to see if anyone else experienced this..

yea i dont normally do the OTA's but i figured what the heck. phone kept restarting, but luckily i had a backup and simply restored and everything was good.

@nate44 - thanks for the link. thats what i was thinking..flashing the leak, rooted version or the full GB RUU and use revolutionary to root (dont feel like using adb..)

thanks again all.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bnutz