Gingerbread OTA Pulled?

msdsman

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
I just returned from the Verizon store to see if they could provide any insight into some off the problems the Gingerbread update has been causing on my handset.

Guy hands me the phone and politely dials Verizon for me, hmmmm okay. Says I will need to talk to tech support since there is nothing he can do, lovely!!

Thats whens things get real interesting, the Verizon rep on the phone tells me the recent GB OTA has been pulled!!!

This was literally 10 minutes ago. So it was out for what 2 days then pulled back?? Nice job once again!

It knocks my socks off to think they push junk out there like this to the masses. Looks like it just might be time for the root job!

Sorry for the rant, but thought others would like to know that Verizon is telling customers the OTA has been pulled back.

bjboucher

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Re: Gingerbread OTA Pulled??

With the exception of the voicemail notification problem, this release is actually quite good. Sucks if you are having issues with it but I would not call it junk. MR1 was junk, this is pretty decent.

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site

With the exception of the voicemail notification problem, this release is actually quite good. Sucks if you are having issues with it but I would not call it junk. MR1 was junk, this is pretty decent.
If this is true (I have my doubts) it's prolly 'cuz VZW got overwhelmed with non-working VM notification tickets :)

It didn't take me long being in IT (maybe a week!) to figure out that every person's/business' most important app is Email/Voicemail etc. Most important. Screwing up VM notification is a huge deal to the average person who isn't really interested in learning how to workaround the issue. VZW didn't pick a very good app to screw up.

-Frank

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site

If this is true (I have my doubts) it's prolly 'cuz VZW got overwhelmed with non-working VM notification tickets :)

It didn't take me long being in IT (maybe a week!) to figure out that every person's/business' most important app is Email/Voicemail etc. Most important. Screwing up VM notification is a huge deal to the average person who isn't really interested in learning how to workaround the issue. VZW didn't pick a very good app to screw up.

-Frank

You may be right about that...especially after the BAMF team figured out how to fix it.

To the OP, what kind of problems were you having?

I have to be honest, I'm shocked that Verizon (and every other phone carrier) has any success pushing OTA updates and having them install with no data wipe. Yeah, it's much better/easier for the user, and frankly, they'd probably take a lot of heat if they insisted on data wipes before doing updates, but it seems naive to think that you can do a major update on so many devices out there without getting a TON of bug reports back as well.

Having said that, there is a reason why almost every ROM developer recommends doing a full data wipe prior to installing (for rooted users) -- because otherwise there are just way too many bugs that pop up...and diagnosing those bugs becomes almost impossible without knowing that a user wiped all their old data before installing.

If you installed GB update and your phone is acting strange, rebooting, stuff not working, etc, my first suggestion would be to do a factory reset and go from there. Yes, it's a PITA to restore everything, and if you ask me, Android shouldn't make it so difficult for non-root users to backup app data, but none the less, I'm willing to bet that in many cases a factory reset will fix a lot of the quirky problems a lot of folks are having (with the exception of the VM notifications, of course). If you call customer support, chances are that's what they're gonna have you do anyway...

Reactions: msdsman

defcon999

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site

I just returned from the Verizon store to see if they could provide any insight into some off the problems the Gingerbread update has been causing on my handset.

Guy hands me the phone and politely dials Verizon for me, hmmmm okay. Says I will need to talk to tech support since there is nothing he can do, lovely!!

Thats whens things get real interesting, the Verizon rep on the phone tells me the recent GB OTA has been pulled!!!

This was literally 10 minutes ago. So it was out for what 2 days then pulled back?? Nice job once again!

It knocks my socks off to think they push junk out there like this to the masses. Looks like it just might be time for the root job!

Sorry for the rant, but thought others would like to know that Verizon is telling customers the OTA has been pulled back.

Seems like I have been posting this link alot today.

[Exclusive Download] Gingerbread Build 2.11.605.3 Full RUU And New Radio For HTC ThunderBolt

This is the official LEAK from Monday. I can attest that this WORKS 100% guranteed. I used this one to update my phone....YES, this exact one. The only caveat is that it will wipe your phone (except your SD card of course). So....please BACK UP

No need to download the RADIO....the RUU already has it...but you probably already knew that!

Reactions: Alma and msdsman

Small_law

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site

It's been talked about elsewhere, but the camera for Google Talk video chat seems to be all sorts of messed up after the update. For some people, the front camera displays them upside down. For me, only the back camera is working and there's no option to switch to the front camera. I think more learned people than me have sorted it out, but I expect an OTA fix should be coming eventually.

defcon999

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site

For me, only the back camera is working and there's no option to switch to the front camera. I think more learned people than me have sorted it out, but I expect an OTA fix should be coming eventually.

That is what I thought also. Open the Camera app. See the CAMERA icon in the upper left corner?......that is the camera switcher. I like it better!

Reactions: maddiealan

sfbates

Jan 24, 2011
www.twitter.com

i downloaded the update. then dropped my TB and shattered the lcd and digitizer. and got my asurion replacement today and now NO OTA UPDATE for my new device!!!!!!! walk about a tease!!!

msdsman

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site

You may be right about that...especially after the BAMF team figured out how to fix it.

To the OP, what kind of problems were you having?

I have to be honest, I'm shocked that Verizon (and every other phone carrier) has any success pushing OTA updates and having them install with no data wipe. Yeah, it's much better/easier for the user, and frankly, they'd probably take a lot of heat if they insisted on data wipes before doing updates, but it seems naive to think that you can do a major update on so many devices out there without getting a TON of bug reports back as well.

Having said that, there is a reason why almost every ROM developer recommends doing a full data wipe prior to installing (for rooted users) -- because otherwise there are just way too many bugs that pop up...and diagnosing those bugs becomes almost impossible without knowing that a user wiped all their old data before installing.

If you installed GB update and your phone is acting strange, rebooting, stuff not working, etc, my first suggestion would be to do a factory reset and go from there. Yes, it's a PITA to restore everything, and if you ask me, Android shouldn't make it so difficult for non-root users to backup app data, but none the less, I'm willing to bet that in many cases a factory reset will fix a lot of the quirky problems a lot of folks are having (with the exception of the VM notifications, of course). If you call customer support, chances are that's what they're gonna have you do anyway...

The first issue was that notifications were not showing up in the status bar. Not just VM but all my notifications, that's when I started to realize things didn't look real rosy after the GB update. I can pull the bar down and they all are there but still were not visible in the status bar. Interesting thing though is that all notifications show up in landscape mode but not portrait, go figure!

Then reboot issues when performing app updates in the marketplace, yikes! Hate to go on here but then dropping 4G connectivity all together.

Just off the phone with Verizon, now they have changed their tune....OTA has not been pulled...jeez, what a mess for them!

Will upgrade me to the Bionic for 169.00 right now when I still have like 16 months in my contract. I don't know if this is a road I wanna travel. This whole deal is just getting stupid!

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site

The first issue was that notifications were not showing up in the status bar. Not just VM but all my notifications, that's when I started to realize things didn't look real rosy after the GB update. I can pull the bar down and they all are there but still were not visible in the status bar. Interesting thing though is that all notifications show up in landscape mode but not portrait, go figure!

Then reboot issues when performing app updates in the marketplace, yikes! Hate to go on here but then dropping 4G connectivity all together.

Just off the phone with Verizon, now they have changed their tune....OTA has not been pulled...jeez, what a mess for them!

Will upgrade me to the Bionic for 169.00 right now when I still have like 16 months in my contract. I don't know if this is a road I wanna travel. This whole deal is just getting stupid!

For some, the opportunity to upgrade to the Bionic at the 2 year price would be a gift, but trust me, that device is not without it's own issues.

Did they suggest a factory reset? I'd be surprised if not. As I mentioned, it can be a real PITA to get all your data and stuff re-synced, but that's better than a phone that doesn't work right, so at this point what does someone in your position have to lose? (just my 2?)

Mike_is_Mike

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site

I must have a Super Thunderbolt - I never had any re-boot problems, never had any problems with MR2 and no problems with GB......except of course, some of the features that were promised at the time of release that never happened...but those can't be counted as "problems."

Reactions: HPBolt

msdsman

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site

For some, the opportunity to upgrade to the Bionic at the 2 year price would be a gift, but trust me, that device is not without it's own issues.

Did they suggest a factory reset? I'd be surprised if not. As I mentioned, it can be a real PITA to get all your data and stuff re-synced, but that's better than a phone that doesn't work right, so at this point what does someone in your position have to lose? (just my 2?)

Of course, its always the same old, same old.....battery pull, factory reset..that is why the rooting option is sounding better and better. I just don't have the time to be messing around with this stuff. I am not an IT cell phone hobby guy and need something that works!

I know...."cry me a river" but aren't these suppose to be smart phones that work?

cam1pbell

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site

I just got off the phone with a Verizon tech and she said the last update was in July. I said are you serious ,she thought I was joking . She said where did you get the update, she was totally lost. I said if you dont believe me go to android central and read the thunderbolt forum. She said I shouldn't believe what I read on android central. At this point I said for get it I will wait for a fix. She said is there anything I can help you with . I had to bite my tongue.:confused:

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site

Of course, its always the same old, same old.....battery pull, factory reset..that is why the rooting option is sounding better and better. I just don't have the time to be messing around with this stuff. I am not an IT cell phone hobby guy and need something that works!

I know...."cry me a river" but aren't these suppose to be smart phones that work?

That's understandable. I actually am an "IT cell phone hobby guy", so for me, it's no big deal.

The problem is that, as phones get more and more sophisticated, a lot of the "average consumers" fail to realized that these are smartphones are essentially handheld computers...computers much faster and more power than the standard desktop PC was 10 year ago. There is so much going on, and people expect so many features, that it's nearly impossible to build a "perfect" product.

defcon999

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site

I just got off the phone with a Verizon tech and she said the last update was in July. I said are you serious ,she thought I was joking . She said where did you get the update, she was totally lost. I said if you dont believe me go to android central and read the thunderbolt forum. She said I shouldn't believe what I read on android central. At this point I said for get it I will wait for a fix. She said is there anything I can help you with . I had to bite my tongue.:confused:

OMG....I just about came to tears. How did you contain yourself?....I would have said "Really?.......are you sure your other job doesn't include the phrase....Would you like fries with that?"

But I have actually schooled the reps on a few occassions and I am not a programmer or a hacker, but I do read and come to forums. Google search engine is my best friend.

Alma

May 8, 2011
Visit site

No update here and a guy I work with doesn't have it either

I don't have the Gingerbread update and never got MR2 either. I truly regret buying this Thunderbolt; however, the upside is: still getting free mobile hotspot. :-\

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbyworkman1995