Verizon officially pulls update via Twitter

Sal

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
This came out about a half ago.

@VZWSupport@xoomdev The software update for the Thunderbolt has been delayed due to the voicemail notification error. A fix will be available soon. ^CM

Reactions: BattleSwine

robrecht

Pretty good member
Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Are they just now becoming aware of this issue? Seriously? I always thought ROMs were leaked in order to beta test in a larger population, but maybe HTC & Verizon really are just dumb.

Thanks, Robrecht

Sal

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Totally. I've just learned to wait and not be too anxious to be the first to grab these updates. Always so darn buggy. No regular vmail is just ridiculous...

project.in.process

May 18, 2010
Visit site
i think they were pressed to release it by the end of September (after all the pressure), released it--fully knowing the VM notification was an issue--and were planning on pulling it.

this way they held their end of the bargain but for reasons "beyond their control", could pull it to fix an unforseen problem.

(i say 'unforseen' as in "ignored" problem)

crazy thing is, team BAMF already fixed & released a flashable patch for the Voicemail issue on GB (Rooted) ROMs.
homebrew Dev community>>>>HTC/VZW.

phoenixone

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
i think they were pressed to release it by the end of September (after all the pressure), released it--fully knowing the VM notification was an issue--and were planning on pulling it.

this way they held their end of the bargain but for reasons "beyond their control", could pull it to fix an unforseen problem.

(i say 'unforseen' as in "ignored" problem)

crazy thing is, team BAMF already fixed & released a flashable patch for the Voicemail issue on GB (Rooted) ROMs.
homebrew Dev community>>>>HTC/VZW.

I think you hit the nail right on the head. I'm no conspiracy theorist, but this all seems logical. With the previous leaks, the VM issue was evident. And the kicker?...Team BAMF solved the VM problem. I love HTC and Veri$on services and their products...but I guess even multi billion dollar companies will have their "D'oh!" moments.

BattleSwine

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Totally. I've just learned to wait and not be too anxious to be the first to grab these updates. Always so darn buggy. No regular vmail is just ridiculous...

Especially since those of us who installed the leaked RUU's posted our experiences good and bad. I know VM notifications was heavily noted.

Sal

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
The official statement has come by way of Albert Aydin, a spokesperson for Verizon. ?

It has come to the attention of Verizon Wireless and HTC that customers using the Thunderbolt by HTC have experienced a voicemail notification error with the recent software update. As a result, the update has been temporarily suspended while the companies work together to resolve the issue. Verizon Wireless and HTC anticipate the update being available soon; customers will be notified directly on their devices when it is ready for download.?

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
I believe most of us expected them to pull the update considering we knew about the voicemail issue. Question is though now, once they incorporate "the fix" into a new OTA, will those of us who already installed the now pulled OTA, get prompted again to re-download and re-install the entire 146MB+ file again. Or would it be designed in such a way to detect that you already have the last OTA and just give you the fix? I guess it would depend on exactly what files needed to be fixed and whether they wanted to put that type of detection in. I’d guess we’d probably get a whole new OTA and not just a fix.

Regardless, I hope once the fix is done, we have a new RUU, because although I installed the OTA, at some point I still want to wipe the phone by flashing a full RUU as I like the idea of a clean slate, a carry over from the computer world where it’s typically better to wipe/install fresh than to upgrade on top of existing.

Anyway, other than the voicemail notification issue, the phone is working quite well on GB. The only thing I haven't been able to test is 4G LTE as my area doesn't have it yet, although the data signal does appear to be more stable in a 3G area (less switching in/out in weak signal areas).

obidos

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I'm so glad I didn't get the update. On the last OTA I waited and refused until I was getting update notifications daily - after that I had no problems with the TB whatsoever.

I hope more people read this thread and see that its been pulled. thanks for the info

BattleSwine

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Regardless, I hope once the fix is done, we have a new RUU, because although I installed the OTA, at some point I still want to wipe the phone by flashing a full RUU as I like the idea of a clean slate, a carry over from the computer world where it?s typically better to wipe/install fresh than to upgrade on top of existing.

+1 Same here.

anthony2558

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
It is amazing that our dev's seem to be more knowledgeable then the phone builders / carriers themselves. Its ludicrous to think that these others are getting paid (a lot) to do a job that they can't even do correctly.............. Amazing, simply amazing!!!

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

fdisker

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
In my opinion the thing to note here is that the user community has been aware of this issue for a long time and has voiced concern over the problem every time a new leak hits. If you've ever wondered if Verizon/HTC were paying attention to forums like Android Central you now have your answer. Clearly, they are not.

Another possible explanation is that HTC was well aware of the bug but didn't prioritize it high enough to make it into this release and Verizon either didn't catch it or knew about it but didn't prioritize it high enough. Either way it's an epic fail on one or both sides.

defcon999

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
crazy thing is, team BAMF already fixed & released a flashable patch for the Voicemail issue on GB (Rooted) ROMs.homebrew Dev community>>>>HTC/VZW.

And what's funny.....they did it within hours of the "official" release. Maybe they chould give BAMF a call and say: "Uh, we have a problem, can you help us"....or at least ask what they did.

defcon999

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Who the hell still uses VM?
:p

LOLOLOL. Everytime I see a post of someone complaining for the VM notification or worse yet, Visual Voice Mail....I laugh. Not so much and the VM notification, but there are people that are paying $9.99/month for Visual Voice mail when GV (google Voice for you Noob's) will do it for absolutely free!.

P.S. I did buy Let's Golf 2 (no snickering), that only cost $6.99 and was a one time fee only!

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Are they just now becoming aware of this issue? Seriously? I always thought ROMs were leaked in order to beta test in a larger population, but maybe HTC & Verizon really are just dumb.

Thanks, Robrecht
More to the point, I thought it was an insider (developer) who leaks the factory ROM builds (has to be). Why the heck didn't he TELL the project manager that the VM Notification was broken???? Unbelievable. I mean, it's not Rocket Science!

-Frank

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
LOLOLOL. Everytime I see a post of someone complaining for the VM notification or worse yet, Visual Voice Mail....I laugh. Not so much and the VM notification, but there are people that are paying $9.99/month for Visual Voice mail when GV (google Voice for you Noob's) will do it for absolutely free!.
1) It is not $9.99/mo for VZW VVM, it is $2.99/mo, and free for those affected by this latest bug, if they call and request it. 2) Why would you "laugh" at these people? 3) If you have ever worked in a corporate environment you would know that major corporations do not like to utilize "freeware" specifically because it does not come with guaranteed support (paid or free is unimportant).

I'm sure, in your world, freebies, freeware and hobbyshoped apps are fine. But not everyone holds your opinions. Additionally, many people are provided these phones by their IT staff and have no control whatsoever over their configuration (if they want to keep their job). Bottom line, no point in "laughing" at folks who don't hold your view.,

-Frank

Reactions: MegaSoundwave76