Apps running

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
Just read a bit about apps running on these forums. Just to confirm if I see an app running like peep or rock band which I have never used I should leave them be or force stop them. Please advise

JD

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Force stopping them wont do anything... the only real way of removing them is rooting the phone and deleting all of the Verizon apps "bloat" that comes preinstalled on the phone.

anon(255332)

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Just read a bit about apps running on these forums. Just to confirm if I see an app running like peep or rock band which I have never used I should leave them be or force stop them. Please advise

JD

However, force stopping some of the apps won't do any good, they'll just start right back up. And unfortunately that restart process will cause unwanted drain on your battery. I used to go in a kill those apps 2 or 3 times a day. Finally I got tired of it, and noticed that not killing them had significant improvement on battery life. Particularly the Blockbuster app because it is constantly trying to update itself.

-Tm

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site

JD
Leave 'em alone.

They're probably not really "running". If they are "running" you'd normally see that reflected in the CPU percent. In most (all?) cases they were simply loaded into memory upon startup. Or possibly you started them, then exited. They'll remain "in memory" until the system needs that memory for something else and whatever memory they were occupying should quickly be dumped to make more memory for your new process. The keyword is "quickly". They will be unloaded in a split second, when necessary. Like Tmiv44 said, if your system doesn't need the memory and you kill the process, it'll probably start right back up -- using even more resources.

The only way to actually "get rid" of them is to root and load a ROM that does not have them. Or uninstall them as root.

I personally have had no issues whatsoever with these pre-installed apps. Other than one at the actual phone release date (March 17th). That was Blockbuster. But Blockbuster now is a new version and doesn't exhibit any resource hogging tendencies like it did the day of phone release.

-Frank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thtknt