The TB is still better then then the iPhone 4s

Littleairjordan1

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
No lte in the new iphone? Same size screen? Newest things are dual core, 8 mp camera, and voice control? We basically have 2 of those 3. And apple claims the max is download speed is 14.4 mbs. So in terms of, MAX download speeds, whats LTE? 100mbs ? Big dissapointment from Apple today.

spartanguy81

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Apple just took a giant steaming dump and put a two hundred dollar price tag on it.

I hope apple fans understand how badly they just got hosed.

Mordecaidrake

Dec 24, 2009
Visit site
To be honest, it's a world phone so I'm seriously considering it for my next phone which will likely happen soon. Can't take the battery life on this thing much longer and I LOVE android way more than iOS.

Adrynalyne

Account Deactivated
Dec 24, 2009
Visit site
To be honest, it's a world phone so I'm seriously considering it for my next phone which will likely happen soon. Can't take the battery life on this thing much longer and I LOVE android way more than iOS.

So you love Android way more than iOS, but want an iPhone?

Interesting.

normio2

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
No lte in the new iphone? Same size screen? Newest things are dual core, 8 mp camera, and voice control? We basically have 2 of those 3. And apple claims the max is download speed is 14.4 mbs. So in terms of, MAX download speeds, whats LTE? 100mbs ? Big dissapointment from Apple today.

Still better, but Verizon's LTE max speed is 50mbps. True LTE goes up to 100mbps, which they say they are upgrade able to, but current infrastructure is limited to 50mbps.

Mordecaidrake

Dec 24, 2009
Visit site
So you love Android way more than iOS, but want an iPhone?

Interesting.

I'm not saying I truely want it haha I'm just saying that because it will work in places other than the US makes it appealing seeing as android world phones suck. I love my rooted TB, and my OG Droid and incredible before it.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site

Which two?

No, seriously, I love my Thunderbolt and the improvements in the iPhone are not things that are terribly important to me, but let's not let fanboi-ism lead us to mindlessly bashing the latest Cupertino offering like mindless little Andrones.

Apple announced the 4GS as a dual-core processor. I don't know about yours, but my Thunderbolt has a single-core processor. Not that either are important to me; I'm not a gamer and I've never, EVER had to wait for my Tbolt's processor to finish something. It's just freakishly responsive. If I were a gamer, I'd probably care, and Apple's processor (being 6 months newer) would probably win. Then again, if I cared I'd be running a dual-core Android handset like the Atrix or something.

The 4GS has an 8Mpix camera with a large sensor and can do 1080p video. I don't know about yours, but my Thunderbolt has a 5Mpix 8Mpix (edit: correction) camera, but one that can record 720p, and the sensor is small enough that indoors photography is somewhat, well, disappointing. And a 1.1-second time-to-shoot with repeat shots in a half second? Holy hell, that's impressive compared to my Tbolt, where it seems like I have to wait AGES for the camera to come back to shooter mode. So if a camera is terribly important to you in a phone, the iPhone appears to win rather handily on that score.

I don't know about yours, but the voice control in my Thunderbolt is limited to entering text via a button on the keyboard (voice-to-text) and making phone calls. I know nothing about Apple's "voice control" but Apple has had speech-to-text and voice dialing for some time already, so this something new - maybe a crappy gimmick, but I will admit that Apple isn't known for releasing half-baked crap. Just overpriced and non-customizable crap (freedom is more important to me than polish, but not everyone shares that view, so one man's crap is another man's shiny-shiny).

Lack of 4G? Well, that could be important, yes. If you're in a 4G coverage area. And you're grandfathered into an unlimited plan or have more money than Croesus. By the time many of us see 4G in our areas, the iPhone 27 will be out. Plus, 14.4mbps is still over twice as fast as what I can buy for WIRED Internet around here for any amount of money. And my cell phone is stuck with a carrier that maxes out my monthly allotment at 2GB (meaning that I could burn through my montly allotment in 2 days on 4G instead of 12.5 days on an iPhone - woo-freaking-hoo!).

Apple focused on making a "world phone", meaning it's somewhat more useful than a brick when you go overseas (unlike, say, my Tbolt). I don't travel overseas, so that feature's about as useful to me as 4G (which is to say, not at all). For the VAST majority of users, 14.4kbps is going to give them a real-world experience that exceeds their current WIRED home internet service, and they'll be able to use it in Europe if they ever have occasion to go there. Life is not lived by benchmarks. My current 3G loads Google Maps nearly instantly when I have signal, so on 4G I might shave off, what, 1/4 second? Sorry, unless I'm streaming video (which I'd have to do on a wifi connection because a couple of movies puts me over my monthly allotment!) I honestly doubt I'd really find the difference mind-blowing.

The new iPhone is not a "revolution", but it's about as good as Apple's going to come out with after only a year, and is about where technology should be at this point 6 months after the Tbolt release.

Last edited:

sloan31

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Which two?

The 4GS has an 8Mpix camera with a large sensor and can do 1080p video. I don't know about yours, but my Thunderbolt has a 5Mpix camera that can record 720p, and the sensor is small enough that indoors photography is somewhat, well, disappointing.

My TB has an 8MP camera, how did you get one with only a 5MP?

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
My TB has an 8MP camera, how did you get one with only a 5MP?

Whoops, my bad. :-[ :-[ :-[

In any case, the iPhone's camera still beats it pretty handily, in sensor size, speed, and video capability.

At least on paper. Time will tell if the camera is any good in real life.

KJ78

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
This, undoubtedly, is the moment in time when the trajectories of iOS and Android cross. One to become an industry-leading technology, the other a niche segment of the market.

This also is bad for Sprint as they have invested heavily in their deal with Apple. I'm not sure why anyone would by a Sprint iPhone when it's not even wimax.

spartanguy81

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
The thunderbolt came out 7 months ago, HTC has come out with a lot of cool phones since then, apple had a year and a half and couldn't think of a single cosmetic change?

Siri is a cool idea, but it's just one step up from speech to text, and I imagine only useful while you are driving. Don't you hate when a person is coming towards you and starts talking, and you're like "wtf, are u you talking to me?"but it turns out he's on a blue tooth? Now I fans can entertain themselves by talking to their phone in public. Who needs friends? If you don't have friends, at least you have iPhone.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Don't you hate when a person is coming towards you and starts talking, and you're like "wtf, are u you talking to me?"but it turns out he's on a blue tooth?

I remember some years ago when Bluetooth first came out, comic strip "Bloom County" had a strip where the main characters watched strangers walking down the street talking to themselves, playing a game they invented called "Wireless Headset or Missed his Medication". :)

I really, REALLY wish I had kept a copy of that strip.

Joelist

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
Android voice control already does virtually everything Siri does, and WP7 (and in fact Windows Mobile before it) have the same capabilities.

Aside from that, iOS5 basically copies Android for its new features and the phone itself isn't that special. Dual Core for iOS isn't that important as it does not multitask properly in the first place, and they only went up to HSPA (Phony 4G).

Littleairjordan1

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Seriously nate? The tb and iphone both have an 8 mega pixel camera. And the new voice feature is not too different from androids. And 3 14.4 mbs is its MAX. You will realistically see 1-2. The average i have on lte is 10-30. Thats a huge difference. And i am in an LTE market. Get your facts staight.

Littleairjordan1

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
The iphone 4 max download speed was 7 something so they are saying its twice as fast as that. My brother has an iphone and he rarely gets over 1mbs down. So cut it with its faster then your WIRED CONNECTION. LTE is faster then your wired connection.

defcon999

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I don't know about yours, but the voice control in my Thunderbolt is limited to entering text via a button on the keyboard (voice-to-text) and making phone calls. I know nothing about Apple's "voice control" but Apple has had speech-to-text and voice dialing for some time already, so this something new - maybe a crappy gimmick, but I will admit that Apple isn't known for releasing half-baked crap. Just overpriced and non-customizable crap (freedom is more important to me than polish, but not everyone shares that view, so one man's crap is another man's shiny-shiny).

Where have you been living?. If you go to the GOOGLE search widget (the widget where you can enter search information), pick the MICROPHONE icon and say "Send text to [full name in contact] how are you doing this evening".....and it will send a message to that person. I have asked for "Where is the nearest [Resturant]" and voila......loads my webpage and I pick directions. You can even say "Play song [group/song]" and it will.

My current 3G loads Google Maps nearly instantly when I have signal, so on 4G I might shave off, what, 1/4 second?
How can you say that when you haven't used 4G. I live in the San Francisco bay area and let me tell you 4G is amazing. I can download an APP that would have taken 2 mins. to just download on 3G and download it, install it within about 30 seconds. Google maps is amazing also.....so, this 1/4 second is unfounded

The new iPhone is not a "revolution", but it's about as good as Apple's going to come out with after only a year, and is about where technology should be at this point 6 months after the Tbolt release.
LOLOLOL. The iPhone is just NOW getting voice capabilities?...I have been using that for 18 months (12 of those on my original Droid). I can install 16GB, 32GB or 64GB MicroSD card. Apple, you have to buy the phone already configured with whatever size you want. I can switch batteries, have muliple batteries, get a more powerful battery.....so, how is iPhone ahead by 6 months?.

Sorry, unless I'm streaming video (which I'd have to do on a wifi connection because a couple of movies puts me over my monthly allotment!) I honestly doubt I'd really find the difference mind-blowing.
I have never streamed video so I can't answer the speed thing. I have the unlimited data plan too. What I do is use a program called "DVD Catalyst (about $10 USD). I put in my DVD's I own and it rips them to my computer, I plug in my phone and it will transfer them to it. It has a predefined setting for Thunderbolt also. I have about 10 movies on my phone.

I think you need to take a nap and when your ready to play nice you can join the gang again.....LOLOLOL

Last edited:

JerseyDubbin

Open Source For Life!
Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
I have the iPhone 4 now in conjuction with my tbolt. (iPhone for work). My tbolt got stolen about a month ago and my new is arriving tonight (had to wait for paycheck etc).

So I've been stuck using the iPhone for about a month now and while it's interface works pretty well there are many little things part of the os that i don't like and won't get into but IOS5 probably doesn't fix these. (example on my tbolt i can send pictures via the camera to facebook, twitter, etc can't do that on the iphone).

With that said a dual core proc is almost useless with a software platform that cannot multi-task correctly and will not make good use of the two cares.

The world phone upgrade is cool and probably one of the only actually "upgrades" i see with the phone.

I will keep my tbolt and keep trying to convince my employer to let me give up the iPhone

As for speed my tbolt BLOWS the iphone 4 out of the water with loading any apps or web pages especially google maps. So i don't see enough improvements in the 4s to chagne that