How to back up and restore contacts?

pnoozi

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
Hey all, just wondering how to do one simple thing - back up my contacts. I disabled syncing with my Google contacts because I like to keep my phone and Google contacts completely separate. So the easy sync option does not work for me (I think?).

To be clear, I just want to back up and restore my PHONE contacts. I want this to have absolutely nothing to do with my Google contacts (I don't need every person I've ever emailed showing up on my phone).

I'm rooted and running CyanogenMod7.

Thanks!

bjboucher

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Hey all, just wondering how to do one simple thing - back up my contacts. I disabled syncing with my Google contacts because I like to keep my phone and Google contacts completely separate. So the easy sync option does not work for me (I think?).

To be clear, I just want to back up and restore my PHONE contacts. I want this to have absolutely nothing to do with my Google contacts (I don't need every person I've ever emailed showing up on my phone).

Thanks!

Google contacts and people you've e-mailed aren't necessarily the same thing. Unless you've saved them to your contacts, they won't be there. I e-mail people all the time and they aren't in my contacts list. I think Its well worth the time to take a little while and get your google contacts matching up your phone contacts and then in the future if you add new contacts on your phone, just add them as google contacts. Makes restoring contacts VERY easy.

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
People | Menu | Export/Import | Export to SD card. This will create a file named "eas_<userID>_0001.vcf" located in the /sdcard root directory. Copy it from there to anywhere else (your PC?) for even further backup.

To restore, choose Import rather than Export.

-Frank

defcon999

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site

Thanks!

Most backup programs (MyBackup is the one I use) can back up all your contacts that are ON YOUR phone. I have mine linked to Google so there is no worry. When I back up I do just a back up of CONTACTS and nothing else, I do a complete back of apps and data in a separate file.

But like the one posters said, take the time to get your Google contacts and phone contacts cleaned up and it will save you time in the future.

Also, unless you want useless contact information, DO NOT SYNC facebook conacts. Example, I have about 350+ contacts in my list. I made the mistake of syncing facebook friends.....it took it up to well over 700+...and a lot of them where doubled up.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
the back-up assistant backs up all your contacts and information on them. It is linked to your Gogle. it is one of the first things that opens up when you are getting another phone. That's the pure beauty of it, saving your phone list. It is the first thing that opens up when you are going into a different phone before setting up your email address. So, if you have to do a factory reset, no concerns about losing your contacts because the back-up assistant saves them..