ThunderBolt Petty Complaints is all that is left!

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Reading the board as of late...

I just have to say, I am so glad that we have reached the point in the ThunderBolt's evolution where almost all of the complaints are now relatively petty and ultra-critical! :D

My ThunderBolt is better than ever! I am very happy with it after the GB OTA and all the other incremental fixes that have come along up to now. Definitely a phone that "just works" now, but with all the bells and whistles. And after almost 7 months now, still the best smartphone on VZW! I can't think of one other smartphone that has been able to say that.

Yes, this is just my opinion, but... I think it's valid.

-Frank

echotodd

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I agree fully. I know some are still odd issues but I have been fortunate to have a phone that has done what I need it to from the onset. I was even lucky enough to not have been affected by the MR1 issues. The gb update is fantastic and the VM issue is nothing more than a minor inconvenience for me. That said, I still don't understand how that was overlooked and has me quite concerned about simple quality control. This was certainly a well documented issue with all the leaks. Even though I love my phone, I still have to shake my head about that! Where is the pride?

bjboucher

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Luckily for me, I've been able to say the same thing all along. Not sure if it's my location or my phone but I never had major reboot issues during the MR1 debacle so my phone has worked pretty good right from the start! I wouldn't trade it in for anything just yet!

Edwill86

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Iv had some hiccups here and there since release day but no major issues at all.
GB ota has made my phone faster and more responsive by far, and I restart I don't lose 10% battery anymore!

only complaint I have is that I would have liked a bigger sense upgrade..sense 2.1 is a cop-out.

Jet300

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
Have to say I agree. I'm a new TB owner. I bought the phone used, but in like new condition off Craigs List. Received the GB update literally days after I bought the phone.

I must say that for me this phone has been spectacular. I came from a DX that I.could.only characterize as a laggy mess. I could no longer live with the ridiculous screen redraws and 30+ second delays in the dialer. What a mess!

I took a shot on TB because I got a great deal and didn't want to burn my upgrade. I can live with the battery because I have access to.a charger at my desk. Quite honestly its not that much worse than my DX was. VM is no issue because I use YouMail.

Glad to have this TB so far. The speed of the device, smoothness, and overall performance have been great so far. I hope it stays that way!

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
What is a petty complaint to some owners is a big deal to others. If Facebook doesnt work I could care less. No front facing camera on Google talk? Good! Any view is prettier than my face. Tunewiki updates twice a day? Doesn't really prevent using the phone. Twitter won't sweet? I'm not a bird watcher.

On the other hand I understand that social networking is H U G E to many users. Some may ONLY buy a smart phone for that.

So if complaints.see "petty" to some users please keep in mind these same.complaints are.so B I G to some users they feel compelled to switch phones.

Finally, even minor complaints like market weirdness lately are less likely to be addressed if nobody knows.about them! If nothing else we all feel better knowing some little.problem is not unique to OUR tbolt.

"Petty" complaints? I say keep em coming. What else is a board like this for? SOMETIMES there is even a simple cure for a "petty" complaint and what a thrill it can be when a knowlegeable member like Frank helps us "fix" our phones!

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
"Petty" complaints? I say keep em coming.
Of course. Totally agreed.

I was just sorta lamenting on how much the type of complaints have changed since March 17, 2011. :D Makes me very happy with my purchase. Then and now. This whole 1st 4G phone thing has been a huge learning curve for me, and I'm sure for a lot of others. It's been a fun ride up to now. And the result is very "worth it". That's all I'm saying.

-Frank

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I got that from your.post but I also read some that implied we should just be fans. I wasn't crazy about that tone. You're one of the most helpful people here so I know you don't mind attending to the little complaints.....

Btw, did tunewiki update again today on your tbolt? I'm on a twice a day cycle. LOL

To be totally happy I must confess I think the data drop issue must be fully and successfully addressed. We don't see as many complaints now cuz folks are used to it. I could care less what version of sense we have but the lack of 3.0 or 3.5 will be the next big complaint imo.

robrecht

Pretty good member
Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I never had many problems with the ThunderBolt from the beginning, eg, only a handful or two of reboots even during the MR1 saga. But the most significant problem (for me) still persists--loss of data connectivity. I lose all data connection at least once a day now on average, which seems to be more frequent since the GB OTA. Some Verizon techs still think it's a firmware issue but I think its obviously also network related since the other 4G LTE phones and data cards also seem to have this problem as well, and it was predicted because of the more difficult hand-off/transition issues with GSM/LTE network technology. At any rate, I'm only paying 50% of my monthly data charge until they get it fixed.

Thanks, Robrecht

Last edited:

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I have had my TB since August 30th. It was a little bumpy at first and all is fine now. I don't know if the VM has been fixed yet, but am using Verizon's visual voice mail free courtesy of Verizon for a month and I am impressed with it. I might just keep it even though there is a monthly charge. I see a lot of complaints about the youmail application and being happy with Verizon's, enough said on that. The issues I had with the phone on calling....clicking on the green call tab and it not connecting once in awhile is no longer an issue. I had done a 2nd factory reset after the GB was installed.......told by the store to do it since they didn't know how to fix the VM issue. I was a little perturbed over that, BUT it fixed the connect issue and that was a big deal to me. I am glad I canceled the replacement phone and kept my new one and worked to get the kinks out of it. I always was impressed even with the issues. I love this phone. There is nothing on the network that makes me want to switch. I am sure there will be great devices coming out, as there always are. BUT I am really happy with this phone. Battery life has improved with the GB too. Quite a few people in my job training were taking an interest in my phone and those on Verizon want to check it out more. So, this phone still gets attention and there are people who are interested. I have played with Motorola's Bionic a few times and there is no way for me. I prefer HTC sense and am pleased as can be even with the issues I had.
:)

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I never had many problems with the ThunderBolt from the beginning, eg, only a handful or two of reboots even during the MR1 saga. But the most significant problem (for me) still persists--loss of data connectivity. I lose all data connection at least once a day now on average, which seems to be more frequent since the GB OTA. Some Verizon techs still think it's a firmware issue but I think its obviously also network related since the other 4G LTE phones and data cards also seem to have this problem as well, and it was predicted because of the more difficult hand-off/transition issues with GSM/LTE network technology. At any rate, I'm only paying 50% of my monthly data charge until they get it fixed.

Thanks, Robrecht

Only half of data charge? Wow...now I wish I had complained!

grimmace193

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
i didn't even make it to the bottom of this thread before I realized that on this phone I can do so many things throuout the day.
Check email (3 accounts)
Surf the web anytime I want
Play games anytime I want
Update and keep up with my Calender
Mobile hotspot for my work computer and my transformer (not to mention for the kids iPod whenever we're out )
Facebook, twitter, and Google plus
Hulu and Netflix anytime I need to.
4G is just as fast if not a little faster than most wifi.
Google maps (while taking phonecalls)
Oh and I do make the occasional Phone call.

I almost feel guilty that I would complain about a petty problem that inturupts my day for 20 to 30 seconds.
I love my thunderbolt and currently have an upgrade but see no reason to use it.

defcon999

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I think.VZW should just say "our version of the OS sucks......we recommend rooting your phone". I.am.running das Bamf and loving it.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
There have been bugs in every rooted rom. The difference between you and stock users is that we don't expect nor tolerate bugs. Why should we?

There are bugs in stock ROMs... When I had the stock firmware still on it (after rooting), vzw apps never worked, nor did wifi file streaming to ps3/tv. The latter worked for me when I flashed my first GB BaMF Rom and VZW apps works for me on CM7.

biogon

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Sorry, Frank, I'm going to have to disagree. I have all sorts of problems with this phone that I never had with my old Droid X, or even the iPhone 3G before it. (Yes, it's completely stock.)

Even this weekend, I looked at my phone only to realize that it had zero data in a region where I normally have 4G.

I missed some very important emails when the phone had no data for about 4 hours. Toggling Airplane Mode on and off, or switching from LTE to CDMA did nothing.

Had to reboot it.

Then the next day, it would only get 1G or 4G, no 3G, until a reboot.

Battery life on the extended battery is about 30% after a 12 hour day at work, with very light use (e.g. reading RSS feeds for 30 minutes, about 10 emails, no voice calls.)

It can take a good 4-5 minutes when switching off WiFi to get back on cell data.

And this is my 4th (or 5th) TB -- I've lost count by now.

I like Android, don't get me wrong.

I just think the hardware on this phone is buggy and a big pile of poo. I think it's a lot of glitter and not a lot of reliability, which is sad.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
livinlavidaloca