NFL Mobile Today

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Well, we should soon start seeing NFL Mobile experiences, since it's Sunday! :)

I signed up last week, agreed to the $10/mo fee, and all seems well. I can close and open the app without the prompt for subscription. No issues. Just like was reported here, it should be free for all 4G users and you can safely ignore the monetary commitment (cough! -- I know, it sticks in my craw too, but..). It was reported here that if you are charged, just call in and have the fee removed.

It does appear to be true about the free subscription for 4G phones. To provide a similar example, I signed up for Visual Voicemail to deal with the GB VM notification issue, then I called and requested a credit on my account to offset the $2.99/mo fee. I saw the fee hit and the credit hit. I got a text message informing me of my subscription start at $2.99 and a text message informing me of a $2.99 credit applied to my account. This included an "a new document is available to view in your My Verizon account" message (this would be the document showing I signed up -- equivalent of an electronic signature/commitment). I saw no such thing from NFL Mobile. Nada. So, I'm thinking the "system" is smart enough to know not to actually charge a fee for 4G phones, regardless of the $10 prompt when you sign up.

Just thought I'd start this football weekend off right! :D Or not.

-Frank

Last edited:
Reactions: topinate

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Has the voice mail issue when fixed? If so I want to cancel out the visual even though getting it free right now.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
actually been playing with it today. I might end up keeping it. LOL
watching the cards and vikings game.........my cards need a huge prayer.....

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
I was recently looking at the NFL Mobile app in the Market (https://market.android.com/details?id=com.mobitv.client.nfl2010) as I'd like to follow my favorite team when at work on Thursday nights, but am a bit concerned about the following permissions the app requires (especially the WAP stuff):

"Send SMS messages
Allows application to send SMS messages. Malicious applications may cost you money by sending messages without your confirmation.
Read SMS or MMS
Allows application to read SMS messages stored on your device or SIM card. Malicious applications may read your confidential messages.
Receive WAP
Allows application to receive and process WAP messages. Malicious applications may monitor your messages or delete them without showing them to you."

Isn't the WAP stuff what some apps use to push advertisements (SPAM) to you? Also, since I rarely use texting, I pay as you go for SMS messages. Do you get them when using this app or only when using certain functionality?

Oh, forgot to add; my phone indicates there is an update available for "Verizon Video". So, if I choose to go with the NFL Mobile app, should I update this first as it looks like the NFL app uses this for video?

andunn31

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
So do you have to live in a 4g market with access to a 4g signal to get free NFL Mobile? I and my wife both have 4g phones and unlimited data, but live in a 3g market. So free means I don't have to worry about being charged for the Vcast subscription, correct?

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
So do you have to live in a 4g market with access to a 4g signal to get free NFL Mobile? I and my wife both have 4g phones and unlimited data, but live in a 3g market. So free means I don't have to worry about being charged for the Vcast subscription, correct?

No, you don't have to be in a 4G LTE market, just have a 4G LTE device.

Per Verizon's website (bottom of page):

"Verizon Video monthly access fee waived for NFL Mobile during 2011-2012 NFL Season on 4G smartphones. Video subscription required for video content on all non-4G smartphones."

Verizon and NFL Mobile: Take the NFL Action with You.

andunn31

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site

"Verizon Video monthly access fee waived for NFL Mobile during 2011-2012 NFL Season on 4G smartphones. Video subscription required for video content on all non-4G smartphones."

Thanks. What is the best way to get this? Do I need to call?

akhi216

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site

Seems there's some hidden flexibility somewhere. I have a Droid 3 and a Samsung 4G Hotspot/MiFi (I wanted a physical kb, a dual-core processor, and 4G LTE...I always get what I want one way or another lol). When I connect the D3 to the 4G MiFi and open My Verizon Mobile, I get data usage info for the 4G MiFi instead of the D3 displayed by default. I subscribed to Verizon Video to get access to NFL Red Zone and apparently the fee has been waived, mostly likely due to the D3 being hooked to the 4G MiFi.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
...am a bit concerned about the following permissions the app requires (especially the WAP stuff):

"Send SMS messages
Allows application to send SMS messages. Malicious applications may cost you money by sending messages without your confirmation. [I turned this feature off. All it does is send a text message to you when something important happens. Forgot what. It's configurable, turn it off. Yes, I know the "permission" is still there, just sayin'...]
Isn't the WAP stuff what some apps use to push advertisements (SPAM) to you? [I believe the WAP they are talking about is the WAP server they use to stream the video. Like the one used for dumb phones for web access. Wireless Application Protocol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Oh, forgot to add; my phone indicates there is an update available for "Verizon Video". So, if I choose to go with the NFL Mobile app, should I update this first as it looks like the NFL app uses this for video? [I noticed that too and I think you're right -- I updated it]

-Frank

Reactions: anon(394005)

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Wow, video/audio quality is very good and loads fast (watching Packers vs. Vikings replay)! Better than DirecTV's Sunday ticket app. Or may be it's just due to low use on a non-football day.

Anyway, I did update the Verizon Video app before installing the NFL Mobile app. Upon launching NFL Mobile, it brings up the same interface that Verizon Video uses where you have to login to your My Verizon account. It didn't indicate anything about subscription charges upon initial launch or when going in and out of the app. Although it does keep prompting to select your favorite team so they can send you SMS alerts on stuff. But, you just hit "No thanks" to continue. Haven't received any texts yet as I haven't signed up for alerts in the app. Cool app! Works like a champ on LTE! :)

neil154

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I am really confused. I am about to switch to a TB tomorrow but until now I have had a Storm 2 and I have NFL Mobile and have not paid a penny (in 3G are but that should not matter).

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I am really confused. I am about to switch to a TB tomorrow but until now I have had a Storm 2 and I have NFL Mobile and have not paid a penny (in 3G are but that should not matter).
The way I understand it, it is free this season for 4G users devices, but not 3G. That's all I've heard... Maybe you got it free up to now for some other promo?

-Frank

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site

Same here, they didn't charge earlier in the year but I tried it last week and that is not the case anymore!, They want the $10! I'm not happy about it, and good thing I'm getting 4G LTE, but waiting for the GN to come out.