HTC screen repair cost?

gitit20

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
I am in Manhattan Kansas I work in a cell repair shop we charge you 149.99 for that repair the LCD is glued to the digitizer and can not be removed with out damaging the LCD so you have to replace both just like on the iPhone 4 and so many others these days the insurance phones are some times good and some times very bad...

gitit20

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
There is nothing to solder on the thunder bolt I get so many customers I looked on you tube and they end up doing more damage then good

anon(386684)

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
You don't actually have to replace the LCD too, they aren't glued together, just adhesive like on many newer HTC phones (EVO, MyTouch 4G, etc). It is quite possible to replace just the glass, it's just a quite a bit more time consuming and stressful (I work in a cell phone repair shop too). I do always recommend that on phones like these that we just replace both, since it's easier and usually only costs another $20 or so in the end (and cuts down on labor time). But in any case - if you don't use your insurance, then you shouldn't have insurance. I literally fix phones (and game consoles) for a living, 40 hours a week, but if my T'Bolt broke, I'd get it replaced through Asurion (yes, I have insurance on it).

Reactions: FrankXS

afgasparo

May 12, 2011
Visit site
I've broken my screen twice and my LCD twice. Digitizers are about $20 and LCDs around $30. They really aren't that hard to fix, just be very careful.

HYDE

Banned
Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I just spent about $110 to have a local place replace my screen. I read a lot of bad information about the quality of replacement parts that you find on the internet. Most people complained about dead spots on the screen or the "buttons" at the bottom not working properly.

I would happily spend the money again to get it fixed and get my phone back.

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Well,

I sent my EVO in for a claim (due to broken charging port) and I received a refurbished EVO. Read the insurance documents, they clearly say they may replace your deice with the same model, comparable and possible a refurbished phone.
Well, I didn't know that. I know VZW uses refurb on Warranty replacements, but I didn't know my insurance money would only buy me a used phone. Don't like that.

-Frank

dannychaos

High Five Champion
Mar 10, 2010
Visit site
@FrankXS you were right, Assurion Insurance WILL give you a brand spankin new phone, plus charger, plus battery, plus 32gig sd card PLUS a stinkin sim card and u won't even use that thing. To the OP; please just use your insurance, you won't regret it and you only send in the phone, empty with the back cover. You can keep the extras and your old stuff at no charge or future consequence.

Reactions: FrankXS

relic1300

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I replaced the glass on my Evo sometime last spring. While I am not a pro, I consider my skill set to be above average, and I can honestly say I botched the hell out of it. I didn't set enough time aside to do the job, nor did I give it the attention it deserved (although I think subliminally, I just wanted to justify buying a new phone when I started reading about the 3D). Cracked a jaw connector, apparently didn't get enough of the old adhesive off, and when I got it back together it worked, but there was a spot on the screen that was unresponsive to touch, and after a few weeks I started to notice pocket lint accumulating behind the glass.

Personally, I will probably never attempt that again. It is most likely something that you or I could pull off, but why chance it if you don't have to?

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
@FrankXS you were right, Assurion Insurance WILL give you a brand spankin new phone, plus charger, plus battery, plus 32gig sd card PLUS a stinkin sim card and u won't even use that thing. To the OP; please just use your insurance, you won't regret it and you only send in the phone, empty with the back cover. You can keep the extras and your old stuff at no charge or future consequence.
Thanks. I understand they reserve the right to replace your phone with a "re-manufactured unit", or a "close approximation" of your phone. But I would certainly hope that these cases are only enacted when the phone is no longer being sold on the VZW shelves, or can no longer be obtained new. That was my understanding.

-Frank

racedog

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I am in Manhattan Kansas I work in a cell repair shop we charge you 149.99 for that repair the LCD is glued to the digitizer and can not be removed with out damaging the LCD so you have to replace both just like on the iPhone 4 and so many others these days the insurance phones are some times good and some times very bad...

I am in Abilene, Kansas. I didn't know there was a cell repair business in Manhattan. Do you work on all phones? What is the name of the shop and where is it located?

racedog

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Thanks. I understand they reserve the right to replace your phone with a "re-manufactured unit", or a "close approximation" of your phone. But I would certainly hope that these cases are only enacted when the phone is no longer being sold on the VZW shelves, or can no longer be obtained new. That was my understanding.

-Frank

I have had a couple of phones replaced over the years and they have all been CLNR phones. These were phones that were still on the shelves and being sold in VZW stores.

Senor_Dizzle

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
I had the same situation a couple weeks back. I dropped my TBolt and broken glass, but still fully functional. I made a claim thru asurion online had a brand new in box TBolt in a couple of days. I was considering fixing the damage myself but after doing some research I just used the insurance I've been paying for already. All I sent back was phone and back cover.

dannychaos

High Five Champion
Mar 10, 2010
Visit site

-Frank
They do and I think thats in a scenerio that you describe. Most likely when the phone is less readily available. Also if your new phone that Assurion replaces is defective in any way they will then give you a refurbished.

defcon999

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
My Thunderbolt's screen shattered (I'll use my case from now on, I swear), but the phone still seems to be working. I have insurance, but Verizon will charge me $100 for a refurbished phone, which bothers me on principle. I contacted HTC and they said they can fix it but can't give me even a ballpark price until they see it. Does anybody have any idea how much it'll be? Even if it's a little more than $100 I'd rather keep my phone...

Had the same problem. I found a place locally that would do it for $105 with parts. The guy said to me "Just keep in mind that on the Thunderbolt, there will be a few nicks on the cover because that is the only way we can open it up".

So, you have the choice of paying the $100 (that is the cost of a 4G phone now...not $50 like the 3G), or having it repaired. I got a new phone free because mine wouldn't do a system update and the guy at the VZW store did it for me.

I found a place on the web that will sell the DIGITIZER (the screen that broke) for about $50, but you have to install it yourself. There are tutorials on YOUTUBE, but, keep in mind, that will automatically VOID your warranty.

noordzy77

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
It might be best to search ebay for the screen and do the fix yourself. It might be super easy, but opening the case will void warranty and the insurance because you've "tampered with it". Should probably just eat the $100 and have a lesson learned.

I always laugh at them denying insurance claims..... so if I drop it in the water, you won't care, but if I open phone myself, it matters....... ok, so I ran it over with my car and it opened up.

defcon999

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I always laugh at them denying insurance claims..... so if I drop it in the water, you won't care, but if I open phone myself, it matters....... ok, so I ran it over with my car and it opened up.

That happened to my son's Droid 2. The keyboard stopped working....Asurion denied it because it was "technically" under warranty. When I have a claim and I know it is the screen or keyboard or whatever...I say water damage. Then before I send it back and after I get all my information off the phone and wipe the phone.....wait for it....wait for it.....I dunk it in water...for like a minute.....then I dry it out and send it in.

anon(18763)

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
I lost so many phones in one year that asurion dropped me! Every time I got one it was a refurbished unit. I wonder what is the criteria between new and Refurb.

defcon999

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I lost so many phones in one year that asurion dropped me! Every time I got one it was a refurbished unit. I wonder what is the criteria between new and Refurb.

The one thing I have noticed is that the NEWER the model is, the crappier the refurbs are. I got a refurb phone about a month ago...haven't had one issue. My daughter went through 3 refurbs back in April and May...only about 2 months after the release.

krafticus

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
I just got my phone replaced via Asurion. next day delivery, brand new phone, and no issues. Actually, my battery life is now awesome, whereas before I couldn't go 6 hours with it completely draining. Worth the $99 to get it replaced. (Plus, it doesn't have Gingerbread on it).

Mark

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucharmer