Ringtone mixups after OTA update

ateamlawn

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
Is there anyone else having problems with your thunderbolt playing the wrong ringtone for certain contacts after the OTA.

AllisonR

May 30, 2011
Visit site
I have this same issue on my TB, but I'm still running MR2 and wasn't one of the fortunate ones who managed to pull down the update during the brief time it was available (though I nearly wore out my "check new" button trying!)

K_Daddy

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
I added a separate ringtone for my wife and now it plays for my friend too. I just set everything back to default to avoid the whole situation.

BattleSwine

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Ringtones and notifications have randomly changed on me several times. Froyo and GB. Have not been able to track down the cause.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

bvitale

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
I thought it was just my 16 month old son that screwed something up. But my wife called me 3 times last night. First time was the default ringer. The other 2 were her ring tone. I don't get it.

rcmarks314

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
It seems that you might get the right one once then the next time someone calls it will play the last ringtone that was played. I thought it was a GB issue but if AllisonR has it without the GB update it must be a network SNAFU. Maybe we should start something with the big V. I mean if you have a ringtone for your wife/girlfriend or husband/boyfriend. And you're used to saying "hey baby what's up" and it's your boss of your same sex it could be a little embarrassing. It could even cost a person their job.

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
You guys are way to trusting of these features! ;) I NEVER answer the phone without looking at the screen to confirm who is calling. But, that's just the way I roll.... Verify, then verify again, never assume. :p

defcon999

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Yeah. Not Cool when you hear your wife's tone and answer, "Hey Honey" and it's your Mother-in-Law. :(

LOLOLOL.....thank goodness it wasn't your boss!

Since my mom and Dad only have 1 cellphone (they are old and thrifty), when they call I answer "Hey Mom"..."No, it's your Dad"....but that is a special case.

When I backed up (Rooted), and I restore, it restores all my settings to the way they where.

anon(255332)

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
I've had the same problem with bamf forever. I was contemplating moving just the ringtones i use from the SD card to the internal storage, assuming that it was the process of accessing the data from the SD card that was causing the error.

I have to say that I've been pretty disappointed in bamf forever vs stock GB. i've been using it a week and the only significant improvement is the lock screen. but the bugs are mounting: phone dialer getting stuck in partial wake, incorrect ringtones, and poor battery life.

-Tm

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I have this issue too with the GB update. I have ringtones on my sd card that I've assigned to a few people.
You might want to try placing your personalized ringtones into:

/system/media/audio/ringtones/<filename.mp3>

and...

/system/media/audio/notifications/<filename.mp3>

You might have to restart to get the phone to read/index the SD card again.

I say this becuase this is where my factoy ringtones are located on my OTA GB stock TBolt. I've seen threads here that when you assign personal ringtones to secific people, they must reside it whatever the default factory ringtone directlory is. For plain non-personalized ringtones, (i.e. text msg, incoming call, email, etc.), they can be anywhere on the SD card.

If you're running a custom ROM, check where the factory ringtones are and place them there.

OTOH, if you can't access the directories above, try: /sdcard/media/ringtones/<filename.mp3> or /sdcard/media/notifications/<filename.mp3>

Not speaking from experience here, but it does seem like if you can get your ringtones into the phone's default directory it should be able to find it. Or, into the equivilent SD card directory. If you've loaded a Market app with ringtones, whereever that app stores ringtones shluld also be found.

Just some thoughts.

-Frank

Last edited:

KJ78

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
i have had this problem too. sometimes the email sound played part of a phone ringtone. however it seems to have gotten better, like the reboot issue, in the last few days.