Thunderbolt will not do OTA updates from 2.2.1

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Info in the status fields is inconsequential and is only present if the phone has received an OTA update as I've noticed those fields are blank otherwise such as after flashing the phone with a full RUU.

As to the OTA update, it goes in stages over weeks and is by no means finished. I believe the updates are pushed out by MEID number (unique to each phone). So depending on what batch of MEID's your phone may be in will determine when you get the update. So, you can either continue to wait for the update to reach your phone or if you don't want to wait, download the official RUU (via Android Police here: [Updated] Exclusive: Gingerbread Build 2.11.605.5 For The HTC Thunderbolt, Fixes Several Issues From Official Gingerbread OTA) and flash the phone with it using the instructions on that link. But be forewarned, RUU's wipe your phone, so back up your data BEFORE proceeding. :)

Reactions: rocco225

dvpatel

Nov 4, 2011
Visit site
I have the same problem. Spent 45 minutes last night and over an hour this morning with VZW tech support. No dice. My phone doesn't even attempt the OTA check. When I click on Checn New, I don't even get the OTA stuff on the top bar like my friends get. The window opens up and goes away in 3 - 5 seconds and that's that. Have done a full factory reset last night. No luck.

I do remember the VZW associate cancelling my OTA update while activating back in May. Not sure if I got any pushes after that. Ironically, my s/w information is as follows:

Android version: 2.2.1
Baseband version: 1.16.00.0223r
uild number:1.12.605.6 CL338893 release-keys
Software number: 1.12.605.6

I suppose that's original factory FW and I have not gotten any updates.

Should I wait up or go the RUU route?

Should I go to the Pre GB RUU and then see if my OTA starts working or just go to the latest 2.11 RUU?

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
@dvpatel

Sounds like your phone somehow got excluded from OTA's (which is an HTC issue I believe, not Verizon, so you'd have to contact HTC about it). As such, I'd just go directly to the latest RUU route (as I posted previously).

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
HTC will say contact Verizon. It is the carrier that releases the update.
You could argue the issue and try to get a refurbished phone sent to you.

And the Thunder rolls!

757Dave

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Same here. No update since MR1. Yes, I've done all the pulls and resets and manually checking... BTW, I have 2 Tbolts and they both have not updated since MR1. Purchased them in May. Still waiting....

rocco225

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
Good to know I'm not the only one. This is what I'm stuck with until they get around to pushing it to me. This is getting old.

tbolt2.jpg

757Dave

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
After reading here and other sites, and the only solution VZW or HTC have is to send me a refirb, I finally gave in and downloaded the leaked zip file from android police and pushed it to my phone this am. After setting everything back up (it does do a factory reset) it seems to be fine. I'll let you know in a few days if I experience any problems.

defcon999

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Good to know I'm not the only one. This is what I'm stuck with until they get around to pushing it to me. This is getting old.

Click to view quoted image

Rocco,

Get the new OTA on your phone is super easy. Do you know how to put files onto your SD card?. Plug your phone in, wait until Windows recognizes your phone. Then follow the instructions from #2 on.

These are from Android Police's website

1. After downloading it, rename it to "PG05IMG.zip" Note: If you're doing this from a Windows machine, make sure you don't rename the file "PG05IMG.zip.zip," as Windows hides known file extensions by default.

2. Drop the file on the root of the SD Card

3. Turn off your device

4. Hold Volume Down + Power to reboot into the bootloader -- the file should automatically be detected and the flashing process will begin. (my editorial....this is frustrating at times, be patient and wait. If for some reason it won't do it, go to MENU --> Settings --> Power --> Make sure "Fast Boot" is unchecked). Then try again!

5.Wait for your device to complete the process and reboot

See, now wasn't that easy?

757Dave

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Really was easy. I'm not rooted and don't plan to. I was afraid of messing up my phone, but it really was easy if you follow the directions.

jel415

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
In the same boat as the OP only difference is I was rooted and went back in anticipation of selling the phone for a galaxy nexus. Downloading RUU now thanks for the links!!

rocco225

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
Well I can't possibly thank everyone by name (well I could but I don't want to go through all these messages again) but thanks for getting me straightened out. This RUU from Android Police worked perfectly as far as I can tell. I only forgot one step - to backup my device before I did it (Doh!!) But otherwise it was pretty straightforward. It took about 25 min from start to finish. There were a couple error messages that scared me during the bootloader portion of the install, but apparently it didn't affect anything as it kept pushing right on through the errors. This was the first time I've ever messed with my OS on Android so I don't know what was normal and what wasn't. In any event, it looks like all is well. Here's a before and after image... Thank You!

Thunderbolt_RUU_Update.jpg

May 18, 2011
Visit site
My phone was doing the exact same thing and I called Verizon and they recommended a factory reset. Then when nothing changed and I was having the same problem with not being able to upgrade to gingerbread they just sent me a new phone. I got it, upgraded just fine to gingerbread.

757Dave

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Rocco225, Yeah, kinda freaked me out to, but so far things are great with the phone. I can actually leave the 4g on all the time and my battery is still at 40% when I go to bed. Did it to my wife's phone yesterday and all seems well on her's as well. Good luck and hope it turns out well for you.

Last edited:

tcheung88

Feb 22, 2012
Visit site
I have the same issue, I had call Verizon tech and they couldn't help, all they said was wait for it to come or walk in to a Verizon service center to see if they can get it to upgrade.

bjboucher

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Do a google search for "Thunderbolt 2.11.605.9 RUU." That will point you to the full software update. Hopefully you can find a website that is still hosting it. Install is really easy. Only downside is that is completely wipes your phone (not the SD card), like doing a factory reset.

defcon999

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Do a google search for "Thunderbolt 2.11.605.9 RUU." That will point you to the full software update. Hopefully you can find a website that is still hosting it. Install is really easy. Only downside is that is completely wipes your phone (not the SD card), like doing a factory reset.

You can get it here 2.11.605.9. This is the site I got the original 2.11.605.3 and they are 100% legit!

gvlakers

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
I'm having this exact same issue. In addition to it "timing out" while searching for updates, I cannot use certain features such as My Account app from my phone. When I log into the website for my account, it has a grayed out ghost phone instead of the thunderbolt. I think it has something to do with the phone not being attached to my account correctly. Is there any way to get VZW to fix this without doing a warranty swap out?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy