should I get gingerbread?

scosch

Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
I was just excited as the next person to get gingerbread way back in July when it was rumored to be released then. Because it took forever, and because it kind of lost its luster, I'm not as excited about getting it even though it is now available.

Should I REALLY get gingerbread? My Thunderbolt has never had any problems on Froyo, including any of the horrible, seemingly widespread issues like the constant reboots. I was having an issue with Sense having to load every time I went back to the home screen, but I am using GoLauncher Pro now and love it. It's very snappy and has lots of good customizations.

So what are the REAL benefits of gingerbread? If enough people tell me it has increased their battery life I will get it in an instant just for that. That's the only thing I'd really like to have. I tell myself I'd like to be able to to do skype, but since I've never really had much opportunity to use it it wouldn't be that big of a deal if I don't have it.

I've been waiting to see what others have said about the latest update that should have fixed most if not all of the problems from the first botched gingerbread release. Since my Froyo is working great, I'm hesitant to make the gingerbread leap.

What do you think? Are there any solid gingerbread benefits that I may not be aware of?

Volbeat

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
I too haven't had problems with my tbolt. I flashed the .3 ruu for only the reason of the froyo text messaging bug. I now have the .5 Gb and its ok. Animations seem to be a little laggy now but overall I'm happy. If I was still on .3 I'd stay with it.

Buzzy42

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
I've been pretty happy with Froyo and was debating either rooting the phone this weekend or trying to get the Gingerbread update-- well, my phone made (sort of) the decision for me and surprised me by installing Gingerbread on its own tonight when I was watching TV. I had it in another room, came to check it, thought "This looks strangely slightly different" and it had rebooted about 45 minutes earlier. I had never been offered the update, and had never declined or accepted it.

So it seems like Verizon is getting a bit aggressive with this update now-- odd, because I had NEVER been offered MR1 (thankfully!), had to try for ages to get MR2 when I finally decided to try it after the random reboots were getting bad, had NO problems with MR2 and was a bit hesitant to mess with it.

I guess I cross my fingers and if the Gingerbread update acts up in any way, it's time to root...

(point being: you may not get the option in the very near future unless you can catch your phone and stop it!)

z71kris

What does that do?
Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
I would say get it, along with a slue of security fixes, it has dramiticly increased my battery life, now I am rooted running a bamf Rom but before that it helped me greatly with those issues...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463