Contact List

monfort654

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
I'm new to the Android world and am cautious when I have/want to do things. I had my contact list transfered from my old phone to the TB. I've noticed that when I make a call, the contact moves from the alphabetical list to an unsorted, order of call, list.
How do I keep the contacts in the alphabetical list?

Mikey D_PhD

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Not sure here, but I think that you are referring to the recent calls list. This is the list that pops up when you press the phone button at the bottom of the home screen. Your contacts should be in a separate list where you can sort them via first or last name.

Just a quick side note. Make sure that all of your contacts are set to 'Google' instead of phone and they will back up to your Google account rather than using the Verizon service. When you change phones sometime in the future you wont have to worry about importing them back in. To do this, export your contacts to the SIM card, then import them back from the SIM card as Google contacts.

Hope this helps. If I'm off base, give me a bit more info and I'll see what I can come up with.

monfort654

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
Like I said, I'm new to Android. Not sure where my contact list is. What I am refering to is when I select "Phone" at the bottom of the screen, a list of recent calls comes up. I minimize the keyboard and can scroll to my regular contact list.
The problem is that, on that screen, when I selected a contact from the alphabetical contact list, the name disappeared and went to the recent contacts, or recent phone call, list.
If I clear the recent phone call list, will the regular list go back to normal?
Not sure what to do about the Google solution you mentioned.

monfort654

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
When I select Phone, I go to the Contacts List. At the top of the screen I see a list of naes, with the last person I called at the top of the list. At the bottom of the screen is the virtual keyboard. I usually close that to see the full screen. As I scroll down, the contacts lst goes from people I've called, in the order I called them, to the regular, alphabetical list.
If I selected a person from the regular list, that name disappears and goes to the top of the recently called list. While I don't mind that, I also don't want the name to disappear off of the alphabetical list. Not sure if I choose to clear that list if the phone numbers go back to my alphabetical list or just disappear.
Also, I am not sure if the names are on the Verizon service or the Google account, nor do I know how to find out.
Like I said, new to Android.

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
When I select Phone, I go to the Contacts List. At the top of the screen I see a list of naes, with the last person I called at the top of the list. At the bottom of the screen is the virtual keyboard. I usually close that to see the full screen. As I scroll down, the contacts lst goes from people I've called, in the order I called them, to the regular, alphabetical list.
If I selected a person from the regular list, that name disappears and goes to the top of the recently called list. While I don't mind that, I also don't want the name to disappear off of the alphabetical list. Not sure if I choose to clear that list if the phone numbers go back to my alphabetical list or just disappear.
Also, I am not sure if the names are on the Verizon service or the Google account, nor do I know how to find out.
Basically, you should use the "People" app to list your contacts, not the Dialer (Phone button). The Dialer is tailored toward calling -- that's what it thinks you most likely want to do if you start the Dialer. People is tailored toward indexing your contacts to make them easy to find -- because it thinks if you start the People app you want to find a contact.

Also, when VZW "transfers" your contacts from one phone to another -- WATCHOUT! Depending on a multitude of factors, the result may not be what you expected. One factor has to do with what fields were supported in your old phone verses your new one (i.e. name, first, last, middle, work, work2, work3, mobile, mobile2, mobile3, notes, organization, etc.). Not all phones are the same and tend to get screwed up sometimes. That also may be an issue.

-Frank

Last edited:

defcon999

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
You may want to use the HTC Contact Widget app.

You will need a blank screen for this.

1. Hold down on the screen anywhere
2. Pick "Widget"
3. Then pick "Browse all HTC Widgets"
4. Scroll through the APPS. The contact one is around the 30th APP....it has a bunch of people on it and it says "PEOPLE" on the top, there are 4 different type to choose from.
5. After you find the one you want, Select APPLY....you can always change by removing it and then picking another one
6. It will ask you what GROUP you want to make as your default....I always pick FAMILY
There are 2 ways to add people to that widget, you can pick the "+" sign and then pick the person....or

Go into the "People" app and pick the person you want, when their information is displayed, pick EDIT and then scroll down to where it says "GROUP". Pick that and then select what group you want, you can assign the contact to more than one group.

If you need more help let us know....I have messed with the contacts more than I care to admit too....LOLOLOL

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
When you hit "Phone", the list that comes up there is the recently called list. Nothing should ever delete from your contacts, but the phone will ALWAYS show your recently-called list when you hit "Phone".

From there, as you say, you can click the little "box-with-a-phone-handset-lower-left" button which is at the lower-left side of your screen (no need to get rid of the dialpad for that).. That will pull up the recently-called list with three buttons running along the bottom.

The rightmost button is a white box with a red telephone handset on the lower left. That is your recently-called list.

The middle button is two Rolodex cards stacked. That is your groups list.

The left button is a single Rolodex card. That is your contacts list. This entry is sorted alphabetically. You can click on an entry to pull up details for that contact and call whatever number you choose from that contact.

The aforementioned Rolodex card button pulls up your actual contacts list, also known as "People" on the Thunderbolt. So you can save yourself quite a few steps by simply (as others have mentioned), putting a shortcut to the app called "People" on a desktop and using that to initiate all of your calls.

If you call several people frequently, you can also add a shortcut to dial their numbers right on a desktop. You go to add a shortcut to the desktop (long-click on the desktop, select "Shortcut"), then select "Direct Dial" and choose the contact you want to call. Once the icon is saved on your desktop, if you click it, you will call them immediately.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FarajWala800