Thunderbolt or wait for nexus galaxy?

Mortiel

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Even though I love my Thunderbolt, I would wait for the Galaxy Nexus or the Rezound if I were you... both are vast improvements. The other LTE phones out now (up to the RAZR) are not significant enough of leaps to merit a hands down decision to me.

defcon999

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Even though I love my Thunderbolt, I would wait for the Galaxy Nexus or the Rezound if I were you... both are vast improvements. The other LTE phones out now (up to the RAZR) are not significant enough of leaps to merit a hands down decision to me.

+1

When are you elgible to upgrade?. If you have a few months, wait until Feb./March when the new batch of phones usually come out or are announced.

We as early adopter of the TBolt are the road warriors and somewhat of Guinea pigs, but at the end of the day, the 4G Android community is better off with all the stuff we have gone through, adpated too, rose to......and flashed too!

mightyfacundo

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site

Yep. Exactly what I would have said.

tekhinator

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site

Mmm but the thunderbolt is half off right now. :p

+1

When are you elgible to upgrade?. If you have a few months, wait until Feb./March when the new batch of phones usually come out or are announced.

We as early adopter of the TBolt are the road warriors and somewhat of Guinea pigs, but at the end of the day, the 4G Android community is better off with all the stuff we have gone through, adpated too, rose to......and flashed too!

Yes I am. The thing is that I need to replace my sammy even though I still love it.. Idk if I'm going to be able to wait.

defcon999

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Mmm but the thunderbolt is half off right now. :p

Yes I am. The thing is that I need to replace my sammy even though I still love it.. Idk if I'm going to be able to wait.

Selma Hayak is waiting for you....surely you can wait a little longer.

Look for a used TBolt on Craiglist or eBay (probably about the same price as a new one) and use that. This way you won't burn your upgrade when the new crop of toys..I mean PHONES come out.

Sammy's are amazing phones. My son's Samsung (old old one) went through the wash, fell off a car on a country road and someone found it and called me.....dropped 20+ times....and you know what?...after 6 years, that phone still works (isn't activated), but it still turns on if charged. Scratched up, beat up, but built like a tank!

tekhinator

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Selma Hayak is waiting for you....surely you can wait a little longer.

Look for a used TBolt on Craiglist or eBay (probably about the same price as a new one) and use that. This way you won't burn your upgrade when the new crop of toys..I mean PHONES come out.

Sammy's are amazing phones. My son's Samsung (old old one) went through the wash, fell off a car on a country road and someone found it and called me.....dropped 20+ times....and you know what?...after 6 years, that phone still works (isn't activated), but it still turns on if charged. Scratched up, beat up, but built like a tank!

thanks for your response. I'll probably get a thunderbolt on ebay just to save my upgrade.

One Radical Dude

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
If it was me, I'd probably get the Galaxy Nexus. While I like the ThunderBolt, it's been a bumpy experience for me. On the other hand, would things be any better for the Galaxy Nexus? If you're looking for spend less, then certainly go for the TB. Otherwise, I'd get the GN.

chuckh0308

Apr 3, 2011
www.welcomehomeseattle.com
I love my T-Bolt too, but it is an 8 month old phone now, which is an eternity in Androidland. The Galaxy Nexus is the first LTE phone since the TB that I would rather have, so I'm going with the "you should wait and get the Galaxy Nexus" crowd. Remember, whatever you get it will be outdated in 3 months anyway, so you might as well get one that is current when you buy it...lol! And the GN looks awesome!

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Too bad ppl cut down the Thunderbolt so much. I did have issues. Nothing is perfect. They have been resolved and the phone is great.

And the Thunder rolls!

ShawnMeds23

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Do not buy a thunderbolt. Don't be stupid. Other than an LTE radio, its pretty much an orininal EVO.Thought I did my home work and could count on HTC.(coming from blackberry) boy was I wrong. Wish I wasnt in a two year deal with this phone. I bought the tbolt the day it came out. I wouldn't do that for the nexsus either. Wait a month and make sure there are no issues. Don't fall for hype.

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I love my T-Bolt too, but it is an 8 month old phone now, which is an eternity in Androidland. The Galaxy Nexus is the first LTE phone since the TB that I would rather have, so I'm going with the "you should wait and get the Galaxy Nexus" crowd. Remember, whatever you get it will be outdated in 3 months anyway, so you might as well get one that is current when you buy it...lol! And the GN looks awesome!
But, but... You just finished saying that the Thunderbolt is still the best after 8 months? :)

-Frank

Sent from my HTC ThunderBolt 4G/LTE using Tapatalk

Last edited:

rcmarks314

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Buy a used Bolt root it and have fun with it. Just look at what has been said. " it is an 8 month old phone now, which is an eternity in Androidland". This phone has lasted an eternity. The nexus will be outdated in much less time than that (mark my words on that) The Bolt is a great phone it's just here in these forums you hear a lot of whining about things that can be and are solved by rooting. Get Boot Manager from the market and install up to 5 ROM's on your phone. You'll be the envy of everyone out there. Not to mention you'll have a bad a$$ phone!

VideoEngineerAJS

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Buy a used Bolt root it and have fun with it. Just look at what has been said. " it is an 8 month old phone now, which is an eternity in Androidland". This phone has lasted an eternity. The nexus will be outdated in much less time than that (mark my words on that) The Bolt is a great phone it's just here in these forums you hear a lot of whining about things that can be and are solved by rooting. Get Boot Manager from the market and install up to 5 ROM's on your phone. You'll be the envy of everyone out there. Not to mention you'll have a bad a$$ phone!

The difference is the Nexus is not purely about hardware and specs. If it was purely about specs and hardware, then the Thunderbolt was eclipsed long ago. The phones that will be coming out after the Nexus will probably have GB and it's ICS that puts the Nexus above all the other phones coming out until other phones with ICS come out, even if they are quad-core.

The software is the biggest thing going for the Nexus because it is optimized for the hardware. That's the main advantage the iPhone has over Android. There are a ton of Android phones out there that have A LOT better specs than the iPhone, yet the iPhone is always seen as performing more smoothly than any Android phone. Too many people are too focused on the specs when they should be focusing on the software/hardware integration. It's the software/hardware integration that will keep the Nexus at the top for at least a little while.

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
The nexus will be outdated in much less time than that (mark my words on that)

Unlikely with the developer following the GNex will have. The Thunderbolt is still a good phone imho if you plan on rooting but a stock Android experience plus direct google updates would win out if I were making the choice today.

JerseyDubbin

Open Source For Life!
Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Unlikely with the developer following the GNex will have. The Thunderbolt is still a good phone imho if you plan on rooting but a stock Android experience plus direct google updates would win out if I were making the choice today.

Exactly what i was thinking. If you plan on rooting/tinkering right away the thunderrbbolt is a good choice. But if yoou want the longer support and updates go with the gnex

Lemonheater

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
I think Android has this odd effect on people and you get duped into thinking that you really need a crazy good processor, huge screen, tons of RAM and what not. Before buying a phone, weigh in on what you actually use your phone for.

Now there's the argument that you should buy the best you can for the moment since you're locked in for 2 years, but seeing as Verizon's 4G phones are upwards of $300 it's wise to reconsider spending that much money on a product you may not even use 50% of the power it has. Not trying to discourage you but I'm trying to look at all sides of the equation here.

With that said, I'm going to be on the lookout for some Black Friday deals. Verizon, Best Buy or Amazon might want to move their stock of Thunderbolts so you may see some good deals. If I see a Thunderbolt for under 100 I might pull the trigger and get it despite the Nexus being out. Yeah I know, frowned upon here on Android land but I'm a believer of getting the most for your money. The Thunderbolt is more than enough power for me so if I can get a good deal on it then I feel that I am getting the most for my money.

Just something to think about. You might think buying the latest and greatest is best for the life of your contract, but take into the account the dent it has on your wallet. 300-350 for a subsidized phone is a lot in my opinion.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jsmith786x