Google GPS Navigation points upside down

Casey Cheung

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
My Thunderbolt's Google Navigation now points downwards instead of the usual upward direction. I am referring to the blue triangle which now travels down the screen no matter what orientation I place the phone. I believe this started after the recent firmware upgrade. I also have other weird Google Navigation issues that recently started, such as a blank middle screen and random freezing. On a positive note, my phone now seems to lock onto GPS signal quicker now after the recent update a couple weeks ago. Anyone have advise on this?

worwig

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
Are you setting the navigation to car, bicycle, or walking?

I believe, if you set it to walking and/or bicycle, it uses the magnetic compass for the blue arrow, not actual travel direction like 'car' does.

project.in.process

May 18, 2010
Visit site
your navigation can be used in 1 of 2 ways:

1) the direction in which you are traveling will always be at 12o'clock on a virtual clock--you'll appear to be constantly traveling north when in fact you are traveling East/South/West. this mode is set by tapping the small 'compass' in the top right corner of the screen. the GPS will alter the images on the screen to correspond with your location in reference to them. walk along the Atlantic beach headed north. ocean to your right. now turn around, headed south. the GPS will change the images to now be on the left side of the screen instead of the right side of the screen. your compass header will stick at the 12o'clock position. the icon should be a compass with multiple notches around it.

2) the direction of the arrow in which you are traveling will change depending on your current course of navigation. the arrow will point left/right/up/down. This mode is set by tapping the small 'compass' again in the top right corner of the screen. the arrow will change from 1 oclock through every position while geographical features do not change their location on the screen (think ocean on the left, then the right---that won't happen in this mode. the ocean will always be in the same side of the screen as before). the icon should be a compass header with only 2 points.

solution=tap the small compass in the top right corner of the screen. walk 5 feet, turn left & see which mode you are using. still don't like the mode? tap the compass again. walk 5 feet, turn right & see if the navigation triangle is pointing north. yes? good.

Casey Cheung

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Thank you guys so much! Tapping on the red/white compass works! I was going crazy trying to figure this out! Never knew this! Casey