Delete Dialer Data?

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Many have noted and written about the gingerbread dialer battery drain bug. Some have written it helps to delete data from within manage applications. Does it really help?

I've already disabled assisted dialing, reduce ringtone volume on pickup, and pocket mode (also rumored to be culprits).

I don't want to delete dialer data if its going to screw up my ability to make or receive phone calls.

I'm using bamf 1.0.9 cubed rom but I don't think it matters in this case. I believe this bug is in every gingerbread rom.

Last edited:

rcmarks314

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Dang dood your on all the forums this morning. (guess I'd only know that because I am too LOL) I've done it without any ill effects. Are you running any other kernels? I saw something in another forum last night before sleep deprivation took over. It was about a possible fix for the dialer issue. If I run across it again I'll edit.

http://teambamf.net/showthread.php/...MF-Forever-1.0.9?p=50881&viewfull=1#post50881

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Dang dood your on all the forums this morning. (guess I'd only know that because I am too LOL) I've done it without any ill effects. Are you running any other kernels? I saw something in another forum last night before sleep deprivation took over. It was about a possible fix for the dialer issue. If I run across it again I'll edit.

http://teambamf.net/showthread.php/...MF-Forever-1.0.9?p=50881&viewfull=1#post50881

I'm calibrating my battery so I HAVE to stay on the forums! LOL

I just deleted data for the dialer. Its been running at 8% for hours so I doubt i'll actually see any improvement but you never know....

I read about that possible fix...don't know how I missed it! I've been posting there for 2 days. It just slipped by me.

I remember when we were both a little trepidatious about rooting and roms! Its addictive!

Last edited:

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I've been reading all this "dialer issue" stuff since the Gingerbread update. It seems to me there is no issue.

First, we all know that the Settings | About phone | Battery | Battery Use display has always been hit-or-miss. IOW, it doesn't display some things and it does display others. I've found no rhyme or reason why. The Mobile Hotspot comes to mind... never displayed, although a known battery resource hog. In my opinion, the only thing that changed with Gingerbread is that the Battery Use display has been changed to include the Dialer. Or the Dialer has been changed to report its percentage. I think it's been there the whole time, but simply never displayed before.

Also, about interpreting the Battery Use display, in total, here is my interpretation; the percentage you see is the percent of battery use of that item over time. Not the percent of battery (in mAh or Voltage) that has been used by the battery. I think this is where people get confused. We are looking at a comparison of two units of measure that do not directly relate to each other (i.e. percent of use compared to time.

For example: If we restart the phone, as soon as it comes up dial one call and hangup, wait 5 minutes, and look at the display, we may see that the Dialer program is showing a high percentage, lets say 30 percent, because it is the (almost) only thing that has occurred in the last 5 minutes, therefore it occupies a lot all of the percent of use. That does not mean that the Dialer is responsible for consuming 30 percent of our battery, generally. It only means that of all the processes that took place in the last 5 minutes, the dialer accounted for 30 percent of the total. That's only over the last 5 minutes! The total percentage shown will always add up to 100 percent whether it's been on battery for 5 minutes or 5 days. Or 1 minute.

As you continue to use your phone, sending texts, viewing videos, doing emails, watching NFL Mobile football, etc., but not making any more calls, if you check the Battery use an hour later the Dialer will be down to maybe 2 percent. That is because it now only accounts for 2 percent of the use over the last 1 hour. Nothing at all has changed with the Dialer app consumption. We are simply seeing it now compared to an hour of time rather than 5 minutes. But, even though the percentage has "dropped" from 30 percent to 2 percent, nothing has changed!

I believe the whole "Dialer" issue is not an issue at all. Simply a matter of now it is showing where before it didn't. And we have to interpret the percentage use display in regard to time, not voltage or mAh.

-Frank

Last edited:
Reactions: mman609

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I've been on for 15 hours straight doing a battery recalibration. Made a 5 minute call 13 hrs ago just as part of the test. Phone reports it as using 8% of battery. I don't think that jibes with any part of your theory.

On occasion after a call I've had the phone get quite hot and drop 10% of total in matter of minutes. If I didn't di a restart battery would have been dead in an hour!

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I've been on for 15 hours straight doing a battery recalibration. Made a 5 minute call 13 hrs ago just as part of the test. Phone reports it as using 8% of battery. I don't think that jibes with any part of your theory.
Well, if your 13 hours includes time plugged into the charger I think you are only seeing the on-battery percentage compared to the on-battery time. I think to get any useful valid info you would have had to be totally on battery during the whole 13 hours.

-Frank

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
a6f80037-6de9-18d1.jpg
a6f80037-6d52-c6ce.jpg
No, I told you I'm calibrating so I haven't charged since 15 hours ago and wont charge again til phone goes dead. 5 minute phone call at beginning. No plug ins since.

Last edited:

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Click to view quoted image
Click to view quoted image
No, I told you I'm calibrating so I haven't charged since 15 hours ago and wont charge again til phone goes dead. 5 minute phone call at beginning. No plug ins since.
I've never calibrated my battery and I didn't know what phase you were in (the discharge phase). Anway, when did you last use the dialer? Or how often did you use the dialer? I mean, during the discharge phase you do use the phone, right? I guess...

Edit: I don't see how it could relate to anything except time. Since the unit is given in percent (i.e. .01), and yours is showing 7 percent now, what is getting multiplied together to arrive at 0.07? It must be saying that 0.07 units of your battery (out of 1.00) have been used for the Dialer over the last 15+ hours. I guess. Doesn't seem so bad or unusual.

-Frank

Last edited:

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
As I said...at the beginning of discharge phase I made a brief call just to include dialer in stats. I haven't had occasion to make any other phone calls today...just browsing forums and internet.

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
As I said...at the beginning of discharge phase I made a brief call just to include dialer in stats. I haven't had occasion to make any other phone calls today...just browsing forums and internet.
What do you think of my "Edit" above?

-Frank

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
What do you think of my "Edit" above?

-Frank

It means to me that a 5 minute phone call cost 7% of my battery life. Actually I checked and the call was 1 minute and 33 seconds but either way it is a ridiculously high proportion of battery life. I really don't understand your point of view on this. I haven't seen one other poster defend this sort of dialer battery drain as normal.

I probably shouldn't even complain because many posters have complained of numbers as high as 30%

Your initial opinion seemed to be the high percentage was based on percent of limited on time. When in my case it was short call and extended run time your opinion was somehow not moved?

I have great respect for your your contribution here. Goodness knows you've been a great help to me and many other posters. On this issue we'll have to agree to disagree. I will continue to call it the dialer bug.

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
It means to me that a 5 minute phone call cost 7% of my battery life.
Ya' see, that's what I'm talking about. I don't believe that. I don't believe that any more than I believe seeing 80 percent on the "Display" percentage means it has cost you 80 percent of your battery life. That's exactly the misinterpretation I was targeting. I mean, how can the "display" percentage say 80 percent yet a battery monitor says you have 97 percent charge remaining. It *has* to be relative to the monitoring timeframe.

Anyhow, I'm quite happy to agree to disagree... no issues :) Just wanted to throw this out there. It's just an opinion. And you know what they say about those...

-Frank

Last edited:

rcmarks314

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Seems to me if the display has used 77% in 6 hours of wake time then 7% is far out of the norm for a one and a half minute call. All of the percentages add up to 100 and this tells what has been used in the time since the phone was unplugged. I don't know how much time was spent on tapatalk but judging by the amount of posts I seen recDNA make today it should be much higher on the list. Lets say he was on Tapatalk for 15 minutes (I'm sure it was more than that) that's nearly ten times as much usage. Therefore the dialer is way out of whack in comparison. Although it's not as bad as the folks that are seeing 30% dialer usage. And this is using your comparisons and logic. Or am I wrong?

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Seems to me if the display has used 77% in 6 hours of wake time then 7% is far out of the norm for a one and a half minute call. All of the percentages add up to 100 and this tells what has been used in the time since the phone was unplugged. I don't know how much time was spent on tapatalk but judging by the amount of posts I seen recDNA make today it should be much higher on the list. Lets say he was on Tapatalk for 15 minutes (I'm sure it was more than that) that's nearly ten times as much usage. Therefore the dialer is way out of whack in comparison. Although it's not as bad as the folks that are seeing 30% dialer usage. And this is using your comparisons and logic. Or am I wrong?
No, you and Rec certainly could be right. Also, don't forget there is a "refresh" menu choice while looking at that data. Using that might change the reading. I've used mine and as I hit refresh a few times over an hour or so I would see unused apps percentages dwindle as time went on.

It's all about time. Figuring out exactly what time (i.e. since unplugged, wake time, up time, whatever time) seems to be the challenge. Normally where percents are used as a unit of measure, you can reverse engineer them into a formula. The problem I have with this whole Battery use display, is that I cannot reverse engineer these percentages into a formula. I mean, if you have an answer of 7 percent, what what was the math? (Johny Carson comes to mind :) ) What was divided by what? No one seems to know. That's why I kind of distrust these measurements. Until we know what values are being used, there is no way to verify they are right. Or, how to properly interpret them.

One thing I do know is that I see folks here all the time saying some app used 40 percent of my battery, and then go on to say that they're only showing 80 percent charge left after some amount of time. Well, you can't have it both ways. You can't have used 40 percent of your battery and still have 80 percent left. It's all about interpretation.

-Frank

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
My picture clearly showed how little battery life remained. Its either a bug in the dialer or a bug in the battery data info app.
Based on the fact that on occasion the phone actually gets hot and drops 10% in total charge within 15 minutes after making a call I think the bug is in the dialer itself.

Last edited:

anon(79257)

Oct 31, 2010
Visit site
You are not imagining things. Regardless of what the battery monitor shows, the dialer will not shut down properly after a call is answered or made.

The drain on the battery is noticeable. I've watched my battery go from 90 to 60% in the space of 1 hour. It took me a while to nail down what was doing it. I don't run many (2) widgets. When I don't receive or make calls...battery life is stellar.

Clearing the dialer data seems to work, for me, for now.

However, it's getting old.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
This is the sort of issue I would be willing to be VZW and HTC know nothing about and will never fix. They dismiss the opinion of callers on tech issues. I remember when the first gb ota and I called complaining about the voicemail problem the tech person I spoke to denied it. Went through a charade of testing it. Claimed her coworker had the ota installed she called him and left vm while I waited on the phone and voicemail notifier popped normally. I asked her to check if it was just the missed call indicator...again she pretended to walk over and check and said no - it was the vm indicator. Only 100's or maybe 1000's of calls finally convinced them. I was dismissed. This dialer issue won't get 100's or 1000's of calls and cannot easily be proven. They'd rather send out a refurb than look into it.

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
They'd rather send out a refurb than look into it.
Yes, it's sad. I suppose this is a little off topic here, but, as much as VZW is "worried" about their device expenses (raising the ETF on smartphones, reducing the no-worry guarantee from 30 to 14 days, eliminating 1 year contracts, eliminating annual upgrades, etc.) their Reps are prolly costing them tons more than these policies were designed to fix by arbitrarily sending out replacement phones for no reason other than to get the ticket closed. Sorry, couldn't help myself :)

Back on topic... while taking a look at this Dialer thing, I did a little quick testing. I noticed three things that I can't explain, but that I find interesting.

1) Only an inbound call with trigger the Dialer entry in the Battery use display. An outbound call will not. At least not on my testing.

2) The list on the Battery use menu will survive a phone restart. I guess that's because it is file based?

3) Even though the Dialer entry will remain in the Battery use display, it is not actually still running. Evidenced by checking the Settings | Applications | Running Apps menu.

I dunno... Black Magic. Not enough HTC explanation of the Battery use menu to properly understand the numbers. For me anyway.

-Frank

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Mine turned on for an outgoing call. I think I mentioned that.
Hmm... maybe that is significant. Perhaps a difference with your configuration/ROM/whatever.

I made at least 5 outbound test calls checking each time for the Dialer entry in Battery use. It never appeared. I was using a contact to dial, not manually with the keypad. So, I placed an inbound call to my cell from my land-line and it did appear, first time. It was sitting at 2 percent. Not sure why our two phones would handle that differently. Weird.

-Frank