Ics confirmed for thunderbolt!

trter10-imore

ThunderboltTool Developer
Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
I e-mailed HTC and they confirmed a ICS release for the ThunderBolt "early in 2012". Yay! :D
TBICSCONF.png

Mortiel

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Do not get too hopeful. Committed to bringing it is not the same is as actually bringing it. HTC also has a history of saying whatever just to keep people happy.

NotJustAPhone

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Having an official ICS release would be great, but I'm not getting my hopes up. I'm much more optimistic about seeing CM9 on the TBolt at some point. :)

dragonsamus

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
I'm not so sure about early 2012. It's great that they are coming to try but I won't be waiting for it. We finally just got gingerbread.

fminusfminus

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
We were expecting to get gingerbread in June then we got it in end of august then it was pulled then finally in late October!

By the time ics gets released most of us won't even have a TB anymore

willis936

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
Do not get too hopeful. Committed to bringing it is not the same is as actually bringing it. HTC also has a history of saying whatever just to keep people happy.

Don't forget it goes without saying that HTC has one if the best track records for updates. The charge is STILL on froyo and it came out after the thunderbolt.

I'm sure there are many more thunderbolt brothers out there after the big box retailer door buster deals of the year and more incentive for HTC to continue to release updates.

electriclineman

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
I will be wicked pumped if ice cream sandwich comes to my TB.. Took forever & a day to get GB, then another couple Weeks after that since the first was a mess.. But I hope they are right. Even if they do give us ICS it will be in December 2012, even though they said early 2012... Lol

nate44

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
HTC knows how excited our fans are to get their hands on Google's latest version of Android, Ice Cream Sandwich, so we're thrilled today to announce the first wave of HTC phones that will receive upgrades: We can confirm the brand new HTC Vivid, on sale beginning today, is upgradeable to Ice Cream Sandwich.

Ice Cream Sandwich is coming in early 2012 to a variety of devices including the HTC Sensation, HTC Sensation XL and HTC Sensation XE, as well as the HTC Rezound*, HTC EVO 3D, HTC EVO Design 4G* and HTC Amaze 4G* through close integration with our carrier partners.

We're continuing to assess our product portfolio, so stay tuned for more updates on device upgrades, timing and other details about HTC and Ice Cream Sandwich.

http://www.androidcentral.com/htc-announces-list-devices-destined-ice-cream-sandwich-upgrades

Don't hold your breath

blackjaguar25

Thunderbolter
Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
HTC knows how excited our fans are to get their hands on Google's latest version of Android, Ice Cream Sandwich, so we're thrilled today to announce the first wave of HTC phones that will receive upgrades: We can confirm the brand new HTC Vivid, on sale beginning today, is upgradeable to Ice Cream Sandwich.

Don't hold your breath

That just says first wave. Couldn't it be possible that the Thunderbolt is a second waver and still early 2012?

Just trying to stay positive.

Sent from my Liquid Smooth T-Bolt

willis936

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
Don't bother. Forum goers seem to know everything and part of that knowledge is knowing that every company hates it's customers and will do everything in it's power to deny a service to the customer.

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
I'll believe it when I see it... but the fortunate thing right now is I'm rooted and will see it a long, LONG time before it's ever officially on the Thunderbolt... just like I saw the Thunderbolt running Gingerbread a long time before it was ever officially on the device.

So more than likely we will see a rash of rooting after ICS starts up on some popular ROM maker like CyanogenMod or Das BAMF.

MRW1215

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
That just says first wave. Couldn't it be possible that the Thunderbolt is a second waver and still early 2012?

Just trying to stay positive.

Not to sound too "negative", but considering some of those phones were released after the Thunderbolt, I'd imagine that means the 'Bolt is not a priority phone for ICS at all, and probably never will be.

Even if it does get ICS, it'll still have some form of Sense, and at this point, I'd rather just jump to the Nexus to get a pure Google experience. Not that I hate the Thunderbolt at all; I love my phone. I just don't like the idea that I had to root to get it to be what I wanted it to be.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I wont root but still am happy with the phone. I have heard there are still lots of bugs in ICS and I prefer them to get the bugs out

Sent from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk

Reactions: HPBolt

Mortiel

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Don't bother. Forum goers seem to know everything and part of that knowledge is knowing that every company hates it's customers and will do everything in it's power to deny a service to the customer.

Over-rationalize much?

The negative sentiment that some people show in this thread has some merit... All the major manufacturer's have a history of leaving a device in the dust if it is not cost effective. It all depends on if HTC can shrink Android 4.0+Sense 4.0 down enough to be functional on a single core processor and 768 MB of RAM, which is extremely unlikely.

But there are some people that lose sight of practicality and are just blindly negative. For those people, yes, I completely agree with your sarcasm.

mrmoe110

Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
TwistedUmbrella already has an alpha build for the Thunderbolt with working wifi and touchscreen. The hardware buttons work and the software buttons are there too. Stuff is getting fixed fast! Check it out if you're rooted.....

Sent from my HTC ThunderBolt using Tapatalk

Reactions: OmahaPlaya

willis936

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
Over-rationalize much?

The negative sentiment that some people show in this thread has some merit... All the major manufacturer's have a history of leaving a device in the dust if it is not cost effective. It all depends on if HTC can shrink Android 4.0+Sense 4.0 down enough to be functional on a single core processor and 768 MB of RAM, which is extremely unlikely.

But there are some people that lose sight of practicality and are just blindly negative. For those people, yes, I completely agree with your sarcasm.

Well for the first bit that's just not true. Many Androids see updates later in their life but then your second point comes into play. The Droid 1 can't handle froyo, the incredible can't handle gingerbread, it's entirely possible that the thunderbolt can't handle ics. When I say can't handle I mean the system is slow and the update is more trouble than it's worth.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol