WiFi disables itself?

r007

1337 Member
May 23, 2011
Visit site
A few days ago, I drained my battery enough before charging it that my Thunderbolt went into Power Saver mode (I usually charge it before it hits this point).

Well I charged my device, but now my WiFi turns itself off after the Thunderbolt goes to sleep for about 5 minutes, and connected itself to 4G (and is still downloading data in the background, because it still dings when I get email).

I have tried disabling Power Saver mode all together and I rebooted have my Thunderbolt multiple times, but the WiFi still disables itself when it is asleep.

I am running stock Gingerbread and I do not use any power-saving apps. The only apps I've installed recently are Muffin Knight and Slice It, both when they were free apps on the Amazon app store a few days ago.

Any advice would be appreciated!

pete1118

Dec 6, 2009
Visit site
I think the Wi-Fi sleep policy rules were changed as part of the latest OS update. There is now a choice of Wi-Fi sleep, never, always or only while charging or something like that. Bit hard to find the setting, under advanced if I recall correctly.

Reactions: r007

ggrr8t

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
Go to setting
Wifi
Then click menu
Then advanced
Last update set it to 15 minutes of rest then wifi goes to sleep
U can chng it
I chngd mine to never when plugged in.
2 other options...never, or after 15 minutes non use

Last edited:
Reactions: r007

r007

1337 Member
May 23, 2011
Visit site
I think the Wi-Fi sleep policy rules were changed as part of the latest OS update. There is now a choice of Wi-Fi sleep, never, always or only while charging or something like that. Bit hard to find the setting, under advanced if I recall correctly.

Ah ha! It is tricky to get to the advanced settings... which is why I wasn't seeing it!

Thanks for posting the steps ggrr8t!

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
FYI -- there is an app called "Advanced Wifi lock" that can help with this issue. My Thunderbolt used to basically go into airplane mode when the screen would shut off when I used wifi. It would *look* like it was connected to 3G or 4G, but no emails or data would actually come into the device. Very strange. This was even after checking the wifi sleep policy and making sure it was set to "never".

Every since installing the Advanced Wifi Lock app (free version), I have had no problems with my wifi staying connected even when the screen goes dim.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bnutz