Ok folks, I know this may sound strange. Heck, to some degree -- crazy. But I have recently became eligable for an upgrade and my Thunderbolt has been performing in a way that suggest it is dying.

I constantly, have to pull the battery and/or reset my phone. Before I was eligable, my phone was working great. Minus the bugs we all know about.

So I was thinking, Verizon has been releasing phones like crazy, One right after another. Droid Bionic, Droid Razor, Droid Razor (in white, releases 12/15), HTC Rezound and the highly anticipated Galaxy Nexus.

Some of the reports across the internet have stated that verizon has caused a flux of confusion by releasing so many phones that their intended flagship phones have so convaluted, that they are not seeing the volume of sales that were forcasted for the phone sales.

There is even speculation that Verizon is holding the release of the Galaxy Nexus with the hope that people will get tired of waiting and purchase one of their current phone offerings.

With all of conspiracy theories floating around, let me throw one more at you. While my Thunderbolt has never been perfect, it has gotten better with each software release. However, now that I am eligable for an upgrade, my phone has been doing all kinds of grazy things.

My apps are now force closing, The phone constantly freezes, The volume changes on each call, ringtones cycle when the same person calls, I no longer have a vibrate indicator, Vibrate no long works. Text messages are not going out or coming in, the internet (4G) is slow, the keyboard is slow to respond, I constantly have to pull the battery. etc........

Could all of this be happining because Verizon would like to see me buy one of their new phones? Think about it for a minute -- If they can do silent over the air software releases, couldn't Verizon silently release a bug that will cause me so much frustration that I would take advantage of my ability to upgrade my phone? They can release this bug anytime they want and it could be based off of when a customer is nearing an upgrade.

I not saying this is true nor do I have any substantial evidence to back this theory up. But something STINKS!

Thoughts????
    12-14-2011 11:06 AM
    well remember your phone is under warranty so you can still just get it swapped out.
    12-14-2011 11:14 AM
    You are experiencing what is known in the pilot community as "automatic rough". As soon as you fly over the coast, out to sea, leaving the comfort an immediate but safe emergency landing behind, the engine starts sounding rough. It is a very well documented phenomena. The best cure is to use earplugs. Or turn the radio up higher.

-Frank
    12-14-2011 11:17 AM
    Yes I am aware of the warrenty but my theory tells me that I will continue having problems.
    12-14-2011 11:28 AM
    I've had an upgrade available for a while now and my Thunderbolt is still rocking! Sounds like you may want to adjust that tinfoil hat a bit.
    12-14-2011 11:43 AM
    I've had an upgrade available for a while now and my Thunderbolt is still rocking! Sounds like you may want to adjust that tinfoil hat a bit.
    Me too. Been sitting on an upgrade for about the last 6 months. Not finding anything I want more than my ThunderBolt. It's great to be in this position where you are happy with what you've got and can easily wait for the true "next best thing", which I haven't seen yet.

To the O.P. I'd recommend a factory reset, returning to completely stock, if rooted, and reconfigure.

-Frank
    12-14-2011 11:51 AM
    I've been having more and more problems with my Thunderbolt as well. I purchased it on the release date back in March. I recently went into Verizon for help and said that my problems are well known and the guy refused to give me a warranty replacement. He said that a different Thunderbolt wouldn't resolve my problems.

I told him that I have been doing battery pulls 2x a day and that I did a hard reset a week prior to going into Verizon. He just sighed at me.

Lately my problems are that I'll loose signal all together, I won't have a data connection even though the radio claims to be on (but still can make phone calls, just can't go online), sometimes I only get 1x in areas that I usually have a strong 4G signal, and it's been restarting randomly again. It hasn't done that in months, but just started in December.

I'm hoping Verizon gives me an early upgrade (I haven't gone more than 12 months in years..don't know why and I have never asked for an early upgrade. My contracts have always been 2 years. My other phones on my account never get early upgrades either.), but there isn't one phone that I feel confident about. Not even the galaxy nexus.

I purchased the Blackberry Storm on it's release date and this Thunderbolt: both phones had a lot of hype, but way too many issues. I'm kind of scared because i've heard that every other phone is kind of in the same boat.

Good luck!

Sent from my Thunderbolt
    12-14-2011 11:55 AM
    It could be worse, it could be before you're eligible for an upgrade, but after your warranty expires. That's what I feel happens to me.

ps. F7 is your friend.
    12-14-2011 11:58 AM
    I'm hoping Verizon gives me an early upgrade
    If that's what you want, I hope they will too. However, I'd recommend a factory reset. Or, returning to the OTA current latest VZW official ROM and radios, if you're running another ROM/radios.

I don't know if you've read any of the forums about the Charge, Bionic, Rezound or Razr, but there are 4G users in every forum with the same complaint. The grass is not always greener. Just my thoughts.

-Frank
    bontjes likes this.
    12-14-2011 12:04 PM
    bontjes, if they're gonna treat you like a piece of... Then why the hell didn't you make a scene and get what you wanted done, done? ANY time I have had ANY kind of warranty covered problem, I was given about 5 seconds of, "lets see here..." before they offered to replace it. I've been with VZW for 10+ years because of their service. If some desk jocky in store cust service rep is giving you grief about a problem they are obligated to fix, call VZW and let them know, they'll have it taken care of quick. I just don't know why you didn't ask for a manager or something, some dude "sighs" at me when I ask a question about a hardware problem, I wouldn't be "talking" to that person for long.
    bontjes and Jude526 like this.
    12-14-2011 12:37 PM
    My Thunberbolt may have it's issues, but I'm very familiar with knowing how to use it. As for getting a different phone I think I'll just have to wait and see how things are in March when I'll have had it a full year. That is when they tend to give me an early upgrade. I have been a Verizon customer since '97 and have 3 phones. 2 Android phones and a basic phone. As for how the guy treated me...I neglected to mention that he did claim that there is a software update expected to roll out on the 15th. I naturally rolled my eyes. There was a guy helping another customer at the station next to me who jumped in to reaffirm me that the update will help.

I said that I'll believe it when I see it!

As for my phone, I am running stock everything. I have never rooted. The guy at the store did ask me if I'm running any anti-virus software. I wasn't at that time because I had actually forgot to reinstall it after my full reset...but he was very pleased that I wasn't running anything.

What's more...I have Launcher Pro running and he was confused and disappointed that I had my bloatware Verizon applications hidden in my app drawer. I kind of laughed at him when he couldn't find them after trying!

My phone isn't bad..I think it's just feeling tired. If that makes any sense. I figure if it pisses me off one more time (out of the ordinary) I'll just call customer service and deal with them.

When I went into Verizon it was because I could not get it off of 1x service. When I got there he immediately pulled the battery which fixed it and got me back on LTE right away. He was very proud of himself. I don't think he took me for someone who knows how to troubleshoot. I of course did know that a battery pull would most likely fix it, but I was in the area and wanted to show it to a Verizon rep in hopes of getting a replacement.

I got denied!

Sent from my Thunderbolt
    12-14-2011 01:39 PM
    I've been having more and more problems with my Thunderbolt as well. I purchased it on the release date back in March. I recently went into Verizon for help and said that my problems are well known and the guy refused to give me a warranty replacement. He said that a different Thunderbolt wouldn't resolve my problems.

I told him that I have been doing battery pulls 2x a day and that I did a hard reset a week prior to going into Verizon. He just sighed at me.

Lately my problems are that I'll loose signal all together, I won't have a data connection even though the radio claims to be on (but still can make phone calls, just can't go online), sometimes I only get 1x in areas that I usually have a strong 4G signal, and it's been restarting randomly again. It hasn't done that in months, but just started in December.

I'm hoping Verizon gives me an early upgrade (I haven't gone more than 12 months in years..don't know why and I have never asked for an early upgrade. My contracts have always been 2 years. My other phones on my account never get early upgrades either.), but there isn't one phone that I feel confident about. Not even the galaxy nexus.

I purchased the Blackberry Storm on it's release date and this Thunderbolt: both phones had a lot of hype, but way too many issues. I'm kind of scared because i've heard that every other phone is kind of in the same boat.

Good luck!

Sent from my Thunderbolt
    That is horrible customer service you received at the store. I am surprised he has a job. It isn't his place to say the issues wont be resolved. It is a very good phone. Call customer care from a landline. Talk to tech support. Most likely you will then be sent a warranty replacement. You have the right .

Sent from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk
    12-14-2011 03:08 PM
    When I went into Verizon it was because I could not get it off of 1x service. When I got there he immediately pulled the battery which fixed it and got me back on LTE right away.
    So... customer service at the store fixed your issue right away and you still wanted a new phone? I think that's the problem. It's pretty hard to get an early upgrade because your phone is "acting tired". Really, it's all in the communication. As for a replacement phone, I would guess that virtually every 4G phone in existance (TBolt and all others) have at one time lost 4G and had to be restarted/battery-pull to get it back. Perhaps you need to detail the issues and provide CS with a list or something?

From what I have seen on this forum since the release of the 1st 4G phone in March of 2011, (TBolt, of course! ) LTE has been sketchy at times. The only way I could imagine another phone being more signal-stable would be moving to a 3G phone.

-Frank
    12-14-2011 03:16 PM
    Sometimes the phone needs to be rebooted. Removing the battery and the SIM card. It isn't a bad thing. It is a minicomputer. I have had to do this. No biggie

12-14-2011 03:34 PM
    So... customer service at the store fixed your issue right away and you still wanted a new phone? I think that's the problem. It's pretty hard to get an early upgrade because your phone is "acting tired". Really, it's all in the communication. As for a replacement phone, I would guess that virtually every 4G phone is existance (TBolt and all others) have at one time lost 4G and had to be restarted/battery-pull to get it back. Perhaps you need to detail the issues and provide CS with a list or something?

From what I have seen on this forum since the release of the 1st 4G phone in March of 2011, (TBolt, of course! ) LTE has been sketchy at times. The only way I could imagine another phone being more signal-stable would be moving to a 3G phone.

-Frank
    I wouldn't have even bothered going into to the store if it had only happened one time and I do understand what you are saying about expecting too much. The problem was (not is) that it had happened numerous times before I decided to seek help. Yes..part of me was hoping he'd just try to please me...and he kind of did. He did what I knew would work.

Remember though, I wasn't going in and expecting a refurbished phone just because of that one time. I informed him that it had been happening prior to that on a daily basis and I even tried doing a factory reset. I was hoping for a little more understanding errr...compassion about my ongoing troubles. I can handle, did handle, his straight forward and almost mean attitude towards me.

I only commented here to point out that I felt the OP's pain.

I'm not going to huff and puff about it, but a small part of me was expecting a little more effort on behalf of the store rep.

For now I manage my phone and I really do like it. Like anyone else I do get frustrated when things don't go as I had planned or hoped. These were never truly intended to last more than a couple/few years. I just expect it to make it through till my next available upgrade. I also carry insurance on it just in case.

For now I just make it habit to do a battery pull when I loose my connections. I'm actually fine with it and will wait to see if a software upgrade does get published. It is possible that the network here in town has been having troubles since about Thanksgiving.

Anyway!

Sent from my Thunderbolt
    FrankXS likes this.
    12-14-2011 03:39 PM
    Funny, I have not heard of any updates for the Thunderbolt getting released on the 15th. The Incredible 2 had an update, and so did some other phones, but I received no memos about the Thunderbolt. Maybe I missed it...

Honestly, this is the way you have to look at VZW customer service: Since they removed the actual Tech Support from the stores last year, the vast majority of Verizon stores have employees that know how to sell phones, not how to fix them. Unfortunately, if you have a problem with a Verizon phone and you want Verizon Tech Support, then you have to call Tech Support.

Aside, to quell the conspiracies: No, we do not sneakily push bugs to your phone while you sleep. There are many under-handed corporate-minded tricks Verizon pulls, but they are pretty apparent to half-way intelligent individuals.

The bigger issue that is not clearly explained to people upon purchase of a smartphone: The down side of any Android phone is that it requires quite a bit of minor preventative maintenance to keep it running efficiently, much like a computer. Yes, some people still have the same old 10 year old computer that has never had an issue, but that is the exception, not the rule. Most manufacturers of computers and smartphones recommend wipes/factory resets once every 6 months to a year. While that is not absolutely necessary to keep it functional, its still a good habit, just like changing the oil or rotating the tires in your car.
    FrankXS, Jude526 and bontjes like this.
    12-14-2011 04:43 PM
    It is ridiculous for people to think that Verizon causes issues with their phones. That really is a wild accusation

bontjes likes this.
    12-14-2011 05:22 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD