Without a $30 data plan?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
So.. how does one start using mnvo?.. What are the requirements? How much does it cost?

Officially, only select phones are supported by the mvno, but like I said before, I have read of success running the thunderbolt on page plus. The cost depends on what you want, you can read about the plans here. http://www.pagepluscellular.com/

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
When you consider that the Thunderbolt is a 4G LTE phone with a SIM card (and therefore different activation mechanism), it would probably be even more difficult to activate a Thunderbolt on Verizon without a dataplan than a 3G only smartphone. Just a guess, as EVERY 4G LTE phone they offer is a smartphone that requires a data plan.

It runs 3g and 4g but can't be activated without the SIM....it is for the 4g. The Incredible2 is a 3g and still requires a data plan. All smartphones whether blackberry 3g and 4 g. No getting around it

Sent from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk

defcon999

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Can I activate this phone with Verizon without a data plan at all. Just talk and text.

I read only droid phones are required to have $30 data plans. This technically isn't a droid.. is it?..

Or am i just being silly.

Is there some loophole besides these techniques: How Can I Use My Smartphone Without a Data Plan?

Please don't think I am being a jerk, because I am not, but, using a smartphone only to talk and text isn't an efficient use of a smartphone. That would be like buying a super fast computer and not connecting to the internet.

My suggestion is, if you only want to talk and text, get a SAMSUNG Intensity (what my son has). Doesn't do Video, but you can take pictures and it has a QWERTY slide out keyboard. He has unlimited texting and we share minutes.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Please don't think I am being a jerk, because I am not, but, using a smartphone only to talk and text isn't an efficient use of a smartphone. That would be like buying a super fast computer and not connecting to the internet.

My suggestion is, if you only want to talk and text, get a SAMSUNG Intensity (what my son has). Doesn't do Video, but you can take pictures and it has a QWERTY slide out keyboard. He has unlimited texting and we share minutes.

People buy smartphones for different reasons. Perhaps he has wifi wherever he goes. Or perhaps he likes to listen to music and watch videos or use some apps similar to an iPod touch but with phone and text capabilities.

worwig

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
For years and years I used WiFi data only on my smartphones. It really wasn't that bad for me because I had WiFi most places, and I could sync my email/calender/etc. with the exchange server over WiFi. Read and reply to the email. Then later sync it when I was on WiFi again. Having 3G/4G data really has changed things for me a lot. Mainly just moving maps and internet access when camping.

Phoenix111

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
I have a question to piggy back on this one;.I have a Thunderbolt.currently, but could I buy an iPhone 4s for full retail from Verizon or the unlocked one from the apple store and just use it as an expensive iPod? I would like it to be unattached to any service plan, be it data or voice or text. I know it would be an expensive iPod, but it would have a couple more features. I saw that the apple store was selling unlocked iPhones, but was unsure if I could use it this way (wifi only) and not have it affect my current plan.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I have a question to piggy back on this one;.I have a Thunderbolt.currently, but could I buy an iPhone 4s for full retail from Verizon or the unlocked one from the apple store and just use it as an expensive iPod? I would like it to be unattached to any service plan, be it data or voice or text. I know it would be an expensive iPod, but it would have a couple more features. I saw that the apple store was selling unlocked iPhones, but was unsure if I could use it this way (wifi only) and not have it affect my current plan.

You could buy the iPhone from Verizon and use it as an expensive iPod Touch, and later, can use it as a phone on Verizon if you wished. You can also buy an unlocked iPhone from the apple store, but the unlocked one from the Apple store is quad band gsm, no cdma, meaning, you would not be able to use it as a phone on Verizon if you later wanted to. You can use it on AT&T, T-Mo or any other gsm carrier though.

The features from an iPod Touch to iPhone is, imo, not worth it if you are paying full retail and not planning to use it as a phone.

defcon999

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site

I think your best bet would be to wait a few months and I bet the iPOD Touch 4S will come out. I have the iTouch and I find that my TBolt does more than my iTouch does. The only thing that it does that my TBolt doesn't do is run a Guitar Amp simulation program and some music apps, other than that, there is really no advantage.

If you are wanting the SIRI feature, I hear that Google is releasing something soon Google - SIRI

Phoenix111

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
You could buy the iPhone from Verizon and use it as an expensive iPod Touch, and later, can use it as a phone on Verizon if you wished. You can also buy an unlocked iPhone from the apple store, but the unlocked one from the Apple store is quad band gsm, no cdma, meaning, you would not be able to use it as a phone on Verizon if you later wanted to. You can use it on AT&T, T-Mo or any other gsm carrier though.

The features from an iPod Touch to iPhone is, imo, not worth it if you are paying full retail and not planning to use it as a phone.

How would I go about activating it though? I think I read that I would need a Sim card to activate the unlocked iPhone for the first time. What would I need to activate one from Verizon without it being attached to a plan or affecting my current plan?

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site

How would I go about activating it though?
Why would you want to activate it? Nothing in your original post seems to require activation. Right?

-Frank

Phoenix111

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
Why would you want to activate it? Nothing in your original post seems to require activation. Right?

-Frank

Sorry maybe I'm confused. I thought I read that before I could use it even for wifi only that I would have to pass through an activation screen. Is this untrue?

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Sorry maybe I'm confused. I thought I read that before I could use it even for wifi only that I would have to pass through an activation screen. Is this untrue?
I can't say from 1st hand experience, but I read in these forums that you can bypass that screen. I don't know how, but I believe that's what I read. Hopefully someone who knows will chime in.

-Frank

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

i had an iphone 3G that I got as a gift, it was wiped, but I was able to bypass activation and use it with wifi only until I was able to jailbreak and unlock it. it did come with a sim, but not one with current service. you might need a sim, but for an unlocked phone, you should be able to get free pre-paid sims from at&t or tmo or get it very cheap

If you got a Verizon iPhone, you could activate the iPhone and pay a $35 activation fee which is refundable if service is cancelled within 3 days. You would still be responsible for pro-rated voice/data/text charges for whatever you used.

there are other ways i saw over the net but i haven't really looked into them.

Last edited:

Phoenix111

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
i had an iphone 3G that I got as a gift, it was wiped, but I was able to bypass activation and use it with wifi only until I was able to jailbreak and unlock it. it did come with a sim, but not one with current service. you might need a sim, but for an unlocked phone, you should be able to get free pre-paid sims from at&t or tmo or get it very cheap

If you got a Verizon iPhone, you could activate the iPhone and pay a $35 activation fee which is refundable if service is cancelled within 3 days. You would still be responsible for pro-rated voice/data/text charges for whatever you used.

there are other ways i saw over the net but i haven't really looked into them.

So if I bought a pre-paid sim card would I just be getting that sim card with no other strings attached? Or would that card be attached to forthcoming monthly service plan bills that I would have to pay? This pre-paid sim card idea just seems too easy lol. It would be great if I could purchase a sim card like that, use it to activate the phone and then be off to using it only wifi only as an iPod touch.

bjboucher

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
So if I bought a pre-paid sim card would I just be getting that sim card with no other strings attached? Or would that card be attached to forthcoming monthly service plan bills that I would have to pay? This pre-paid sim card idea just seems too easy lol. It would be great if I could purchase a sim card like that, use it to activate the phone and then be off to using it only wifi only as an iPod touch.

You don't need a pre-paid sim card, you can get a regular sim card. If you go into the store, a rep might even just activate the phone for you, then de-activate it. Just tell them what you want to do.

I'm still baffled why you even want to do this. Just get an iPod Touch, they're way cheaper.

oberkc

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Given your question is about an iPhone, and this being a thunderbolt forum, you might have better luck asking your question at an iPhone forum.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

you can buy a pre-paid at&t sim card, pre-paid has no contract, just a sim. should be just a few bux .

You don't need a pre-paid sim card, you can get a regular sim card. If you go into the store, a rep might even just activate the phone for you, then de-activate it. Just tell them what you want to do.

I'm still baffled why you even want to do this. Just get an iPod Touch, they're way cheaper.

yes, you can get a regular sim, you can probably buy one online as well. i hate going into the store, i always have bad luck with csr.

i agree though, for use as n iPod Touch, an iPhone is a waste of money.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParkerAdams