HTC needs to make a comeback. (LONG POST)

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
And yet when I suggest ONE HTC phone in vanilla android Sense fans are up in arms! If you're going to have a family of products filling different niches you can't put sense in every one!

Don't worry about it is what it is. Sense is fine in every device just like Touchwiz, Motoblur, etc. This is little off topic but way I see only way you'll see HTC vanilla device is if HTC gets to make another Nexus device. Which I bring up what has HTC done to grant them another chance at making another Nexus? Coming out with most powerful device in the same old package at MWC will not cut it. HTC was chosen to make Nexus One at time HTC was pushing the industry to make high quality and powerful devices. Well now that't every companies strive. Samsung was chosen to do the Nexus because they where changing way you look at your devices. They also built a great series of products and were showing a strong trademark name. They were chosen again with Galaxy Nexus because they continue to push forward and not just stay safe, simple, and sturdy.

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
So are you saying if htc released a vanilla android phone and named it "Vanilla" google would sue HTC?

No not at all. I am sure HTC could make a vanilla device but how google has market the pure experience is solely the Nexus. I mean they have even gone with the pure G1 and Mytouch series. The latest from them are a semi pure google experience but don't quote me on that. Google and us have made a honor for company to have pure google phone which is called Nexus. If you follow the Nexus project you have do more than just have latest tech really stand out as innovated of.

HTC was only company at time pushing hard for high quality and high performance devices. They also had great partnership with snap dragon processors which combine both they were changing the game big way at the time.
Which all warranty them to go had make the
Nexus One

Samsung had ever popular growing popular with there Galaxy line and Tab line of products. Then as well they were really pushing the envelope with there screen technology. Next came the Nexus S with all that put together with the new curved screen design. Samsung was then go on and make great strides in performance with nividia and well improve greatly on there Galaxy series with the S2. Obviously they put all that together and you can argue that's why they got do the Galaxy Nexus.

HTC has been the first to have latest tech but has yet strive for little more than out of the norm. The beats audio is a decent start as well as stylus idea with tablets but they are minor in comparison in leaps the other companies have taken.

Last edited:

tropper

Smarty Pants
Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Perhaps, but I bet you won't see a louder speaker/vibrator, best screen, multicolor led, vanilla android ui. Those are the things I care about that htc doesn't and never have.

Then why did I buy it? Only choice for 4G and simultaneous voice and data at the time I bought my phone.
So what you really want is for Motorola to throw a 4G radio in the OGD that will do simultaneous voice and data then?

This thread is Perfect it shows the exact reason why Android is superior to Apple. Change, the awesome ability to Root and Rom so that we can change to whatever we want!

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
HTC designs are starting to look dated and tired compared to the Samsungs like the new G-NEX. sleek, all black, rounded, no lines, and no buttons is the way to go. these HTC square slabs with big edged bezels and backings and cheesy ornamentation and faux markings and designs don't look so hot anymore.

the EVO is a year and a half old. HTC and Chou need to go back to the drawing board and start innovating again rather than be lazy and spitting out EVO variants all day long (EVO, Incredible, Thunderbolt, Desire, EVO 3D, Design 4G, Rezound, etc.) Chou better kick it up a notch and get his ass in gear or he and HTC are going to keep on getting smoked by Samsung and ultimately be put out of business.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/htc-evo-4g/138868-htc-revenue-drops-30-a.html#post1456057

axne123

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
HTC is very reliable all around. updates, speed, and compatible with all of the apps in the market.
Too many times I read in the market that the sg11, Droid, ect... Have problems loading games, and other applications. With different cases, and accessories I
Absolutely love HTC!
Sent using HTC Evo 3d Swype.

axne123

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
Samsung just steals apples designs. You call that innovative??? Plus they just started updating their devices. I only trust samsungs LED TV..

axne123

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
I think the OP makes a very valid point and one that is being talked about in various forums. I too love HTC. That being said, HTC is becoming very stale in the implementation of their devices. I realize that the carriers have much to do with what is released on their networks. However, I like the way that Samsung produced the Galaxy line in a worldwide platform. Different form factors for the carriers but if you got a Galaxy from Samsung, you got the top of the line. There is no such model for HTC. I would love to see an "Evo" line or Thunderbolt, etc. but one starting point for the high end "Cadillac" phone of the company. Whatever variation the carriers put on it fine but it is tip of HTC development. Motorola kind of did the same with the Atrix line on Verizon and Sprint. But HTC is all over the place. Make one solid phone with top-of-the-line hardware, quality material (like thin aluminum unibody designs), great specs, screens and processors etc. Call it HTC One (just an example) but market to all vendors as the Tmobile One, Sprint One, Verizon One...and update it once a year. IMO what makes the Razr so good is it's form factor. What makes the Galaxy is it's high end specs. What makes the iPhone is the anticipation of it's once a year upgrade. Build a quality device that devotees will clamor for and you build buzz. For me, I'm wedded to Sprint. Since Sprint released the original Evo, what else has HTC released in that time to really want? The Evo 3D? Nope not what I was looking for because it filled a niche, but not a true successor to what was once a powerful ground breaking phone.

how much of a high end phone do you want?? The 3vo is retailed at around $700.00

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
As I previously mentioned, I think all of this is subjective. Case in point, I don't like Samsung or Motorola designs. They do nothing for me. I prefer HTC designs.

Reactions: waker

Atomic_Monkey

Android monkey
Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
Seems like a lot of people consider old and outdated as it pertains to look only... how much more can you do with a phone... and I like the general look. I guess they can only do so much in the current size until more technology comes out... I would just like ti see kickstand as I love mine on my thunderbolt

z71kris

What does that do?
Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
personally I like the idea of having a family line of products, and updating them...but I can also say that right now, the top 3 phone are the Bolt and Rezound and GS2, they look the best and have some of the best specs. I would have got a GS2 if it was 4g, and if not for the GS1 horrendous update issues(even worse then the Bolts could have ever been) The update issues is what scared me away from Samsung in general including the Charge, and I heard nothing but horror stories about Blur, and LG Revolution was kinda iffy...so the Bolt was the only solid phone to pick from.

Atomic_Monkey

Android monkey
Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
If your rooted the bolt has almost endless themes and a lot of nice Roms... luckily I read about issues from the mr2 update and never allowed it until they were fixed. Then I rooted and never had any more issues as I got gingerbread through Roms... not Verizon. Now there is such a big development community for the bolt it is awesome surely someone the newer phones will get there but not many phones have as much to offer for rooted users...

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
If your rooted the bolt has almost endless themes and a lot of nice Roms... luckily I read about issues from the mr2 update and never allowed it until they were fixed. Then I rooted and never had any more issues as I got gingerbread through Roms... not Verizon. Now there is such a big development community for the bolt it is awesome surely someone the newer phones will get there but not many phones have as much to offer for rooted users...

I will miss flashing roms in my next phone. I doubt any phone will have as many options...except maybe the nexus and that will be a year old before my contract expires. :-(

aburgthing

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
how much of a high end phone do you want?? The 3vo is retailed at around $700.00

Believe me, you PAY for your subsidized phone first of all. So the "retail" price has little to do with it. As far as the Evo 3D? Well since I do in fact love HTC phones, and considering the fact that I will be in said phone for two years on contract, (unless I wanted to pay the unsubsidized price after Sprint Premier went extinct) why on earth would I sign on the dotted line for a marginally better phone? I really wanted to upgrade and waited with anticipation last summer for Sprint/HTC to release an Evo successor. But when I went to do a side-by-side comparison and already running a smooth Sense 3.0 ROM on my OG Evo the Evo 3D wasn't it. Not knocking the 3D, but it just was not the leap in applicable specs. I was looking for. Even if Sprint would have released a Resound like phone I probably would be in it right now. But there is the conundrum. HTC has all these phones spread out among carriers that offer "niche" upgrades instead of a single top-of-the-line phone that appeals to the masses. Big mistake IMHO. But I'm just a poor user and not in the boardroom with Peter Chou & Co. making decisions and raking in billions.

I'm content to wait now especially considering the shift in 4G technology that hopefully will be a quantum leap beyond the current WiMax tech. Bottom line, HTC can and must do better and streamline their product line if they want to stay in competition with both Moto and Samsung. I believe they've got this message and will in fact try to hit another one out of the park in 2012.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
I, for one, really can't wait to see what HTC does with ICS.

I know many people complain about the skinned UI manufacturers add to the Android operating system, and I definitely understand why...however I've always been a fan of HTC phones because frankly I've always preferred the look and feel of Sense over any other OEM's UI.

Right now, I feel that 2 things are coming together at the same time:
1. HTC's Sense UI is getting a bit "stale".
2. ICS has one of the best interfaces that Android has ever released.

In other words, Android ICS is nice enough that you really don't need that skinned UI that all the OEM's love to use so much -- and even though HTC's Sense has always been highly regarded as one of the better ones, most would be upset to see an HTC ICS release full of the same 'ol Sense elements we've all begun to grow unimpressed with.

No, what I'm interested to see what happens next...can/will phone makers like HTC actually find ways to improve the ICS experience? If so, then the OP's point will be rendered moot.

To me, the Rezound is kind of a stop-gap model -- a nice improvement over their Thunderbolt if you're looking for something a little more powerful (and will most likely get ICS eventually), but just came out too close to the launch of the Nexus S to really impress anyone. Really looking forward to what new models they'll have on hand this spring!

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I, for one, really can't wait to see what HTC does with ICS.
No, what I'm interested to see what happens next...can/will phone makers like HTC actually find ways to improve the ICS experience? If so, then the OP's point will be rendered moot.

There is video floating around on youtube but before you do I warn you it's just video and take with grain of salt.NEW - HTC Sensation Ice Cream Sandwich - YouTube
I am confident HTC will continue with sense and will just add the new features that ICS offers. UI over android are nothing more then a structure system to follow. People prefer how follow sense or touchwiz and so on and so on. Those that prefer stock android want a less intrusive system to follow. Then again you never no HTC could surprise us MWC with something completely new sense. HTC sense did make claims and focus for this year to come out with most powerful devices and first quad-core devices.

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
htc-quietly2hhththt34.jpg

HTC's UK chief wants to ease off the new-product gas, focus on 'amazing hardware' -- Engadget
I am hoping this means redesigning the current look to their product line and focus more on quality then quantity. Not saying HTC makes cheep devices but having old design model is a blow to quality.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair