tbolt charging

jimoc77

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
I plan on using the charger form my HP tablet on my tbolt. The HP charger says 5.3v 2.0a. Will this damage my tbolt? The tbolt charger says 5v. And 1amp.
Thank you!

worwig

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
I would us it. But if you do, you are on your own with that experiment.
The 2.0a versus 1a is meaningless. The 5.3V instead of 5V however means that the Bolt will run a little hotter and charge a little faster.

Long story, I use my Bolt as a GPS on my motorcycle. I designed my own charger. I found that in bright light (display at max), downloading moving maps, running the GPS, etc., The phone would barely charge. So I bumped my charger up so the phone is seeing close to 5.2 to 5.3 volts. The Thunderbolt still never pulls much over 0.85 amps. It does get warm. All of the functions are running AND the battery charges. But for general charging, I actually use an old charger that only charges at a slow rate when I have the time. Heat is really bad for the battery, and not a great thing for the phone itself either.

In other words, I would only use it if I really needed a fast charge.

Of course, it is possible that the HP charger doesn't have the required D+ to D- short to enable a quick charge, so it will slow charge even at the higher voltage.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I plan on using the charger form my HP tablet on my tbolt. The HP charger says 5.3v 2.0a. Will this damage my tbolt? The tbolt charger says 5v. And 1amp.
Thank you!

I assume you have an HP Touchpad, I have a 32gb model which I paid $120 for, great tablet for the price. I have used my Touchpad charger on my Thunderbolt and it charges the same. It didn't noticeably get any hotter than with the stock charger. Even though the tp charger is 2A, the tb only charges to 1 A max (well, around 850ma from what I see based on the battery monitor widget) even from my tp charger. So it won't charge any faster than the stock charger (or if it does, it would be very marginal).

jimoc77

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. I plan on using the touchpad charger while on vacation. Trying to pack light. As long as my phone won't fry. You guys were a great help.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon