Thunderbolt incorrect battery display / shutdown while charging

glave5524

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Over the past few days, my Thunderbolt has been acting odd. It started about a week ago when I noticed the battery display will indicate I have a decent charge, say about a 70% charge or so. Then the phone will shutdown. When I turned it back on, it said I was only at 5%! Since then, it has varied. Sometimes it will say 50%, I'll restart it and then it will say I have 95%. Totally unreliable. The next issue just started this weekend...well kind of. I've always had problems now and then with charging my phone. Sometimes I have to play with the connection just right to get it to charge. Starting two days ago, when I've plugged my phone in to charge, it will just simply shut off for no reason. This coupled with the incorrect battery life display is seriously frustrating me. Any suggestions as to what is causing this??

yodatom10

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Re: Thunderbolt incorrect battery display / shutdown while chargi

few questions
stock or rooted
have you drop your phone
installed any new apps that might have caused this.

dragonsamus

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
Sometimes I have to play with the connection just right to get it to charge.

This to me means either the charge port is messed up or your charger is. If its the charge port you may want to warranty it out.

As for the battery indicator being off, that's normal. In your case, its not because of how much it jumps.

I use an extended battery and some times when I reboot my phone with say 70% it'll turn on with around 55%. That's normal. But to go from 70% to 5% isn't. You may want to try to get a battery through warranty exchange as well. Good luck!

Edit: I did a quick run down test. I'm on the HTC extended. The phone has been left off the charger. Had 69%. I used app Quick Boot to reboot he phone. Turned back on with 66%. Loss 3% charge. I did it again using Quick Boot. Came back on with 65%. Loss 1% charge.

Last edited:

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

stock or extended battery? Extended battery is sometimes off by quite a bit, even with calibration.

BBerry2ADroid

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site

I have the same issue. Running stock VZW OTA, stock battery. I will be able to use my phone for a little while, then all of a sudden it will turn off or reboot. Then when it turns back on the battery shows less than 5% even if it showed 80+% before it rebooted. Is my battery bad?

yodatom10

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
I have the same issue. Running stock VZW OTA, stock battery. I will be able to use my phone for a little while, then all of a sudden it will turn off or reboot. Then when it turns back on the battery shows less than 5% even if it showed 80+% before it rebooted. Is my battery bad?
its a possibly I would go to your local Verizon store and see if they will let u put a battery in it and see what happens. also If this just started after the last ota you may want to try a factory reset make sure to back up your data first.

BBerry2ADroid

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site

I am going to go to the VZW store tonight and have them look at my battery. It might have a blown cell. In had two other OEM batteries that were bad.

BBerry2ADroid

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site

What I have noticed is that when it is plugged in, it never reboots/shuts down, only when on battery power. That makes me think it is a blown battery.