"HTC admits its bulky, quick-dying LTE phones kinda suck."

RescueEMT911

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Nothing like seeing an article like this to make you feel like a million bucks for purchasing a Thunderbolt from HTC. :(

HTC admits its bulky, quick-dying LTE phones kinda suck -- Engadget

"Yung admitted that HTC "dropped the ball" with its selection of LTE devices. He conceded that the bulky handsets simply failed on a design and spec level -- especially when it came to battery life"

I don't know though, I actually kind of like my Thunderbolt phone since I have been using the Rezound battery. I should be able to stay content with it for this next year, it is just depressing to see even HTC corporation saying that the phone they sold me "failed"...

RescueEMT911

johnriii

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
well.....that a nice how-do-you-do!!! too late, slimeball, I've already adjusted my life to make sure I can charge my tbolt. it would be really cool to have a phone that would last two days, even with heavy use...i.e.netflix/youtube.

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
it would be really cool to have a phone that would last two days, even with heavy use...i.e.netflix/youtube.

That isn't isolated to HTC. I doubt any android device aside from maybe the Razr Maxx would get that kind of usage and they only accomplished that by cramming in a battery twice as big as most others are shipping with.

Reactions: mightyfacundo

worwig

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
I think they screwed up by putting such a small capacity battery in to begin with.
But as for the bulk, I prefer it. If I wanted a thin hard to hold cracker, I wouldn't have gotten this phone. For my big hands, I prefer the size of the T'bolt.

Reactions: jroc

redcat22

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
Doesn't bother me any. With the extended battery I can normally get 2 days use out of my phone. No regrets buying this phone whatsoever.

I don't regret buying the TB either. I am disappointed with the extended battery. The stock battery gives me about 36 hours of light usage (text, email, phone, simple games, etc.) I turned the brightness down to about 25% and use wi-fi alot (3G when not on wi-fi). I turn data completely off when i'm sleeping, sometimes i even put the phone in airplane mode. I'm not rooted (yet) either.

With all that said, i still bought the extended battery figuring it'll give me at least 3 days of light usage because it's twice as strong as the stock. NOPE! Soooo disappointed. I get about 2.5 days of light usage. I got the extended battery on sale for $25 so i'm not extremely upset. Though if i paid the full $50 for about a 1 day extension i'd be furious.

RescueEMT911

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
It is amazing the amount of money I have spent on the "battery" issue with the Thunderbolt.. Have 2 1800mah cheapo's from Ebay, bought another HTC stock battery, Rezound Battery, and an extended battery along with the Seidio Active Extended battery case..lol I think it had become an addiction to get better battery life.. I honestly love the extended battery, as far as usage goes, lasts a good amount of time, although I just cannot use it (even after spending over $50 to have it cover/battery). I just felt it was too big, and people would see it and say wow that phone is huge! And lets all be honest, we go through all this trouble to make our phones look good, special lock screens, new launchers, cases..I just couldnt get myself to keep it looking like two phones taped together..size wise..lol.. but with that said I must say, with the Rezound battery I get anywhere from 13-16 hours before I need to charge, and for my need, I am very happy with that! I charge nightly, but heck I am sleeping..lol With that battery in the phone I really do not mind it!!

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
well.....that a nice how-do-you-do!!! too late, slimeball, I've already adjusted my life to make sure I can charge my tbolt. it would be really cool to have a phone that would last two days, even with heavy use...i.e.netflix/youtube.

Depends on your definition of heavy usage. My thunderbolt under heavy usage with extended battery lasts about 4 hours on Skype video.

RescueEMT911

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Well, "people" clearly dictate to you what kind of phone you should buy. Maybe you should ask them what phone would impress them if you carried it. Then go and buy that phone.

-Frank

LOL, well this is very true! I should have asked around first.. But of course we already know what the answer will be.. The good old Iphone 4S! I mean I do like the Android operating system, but if you really want to impress and have the "in" look you are then looking at an Iphone 4S. Android phones are nice, but pretty much with all of them, unless they are really into phones, they cannot tell the difference if you are carrying a $299 Razr Maxx or a $50 buck android prepaid.. Does not happen when you own an Iphone....

And yes I own an Android phone, and my next phone will be an Android phone... I love them... I am just saying that if I wanted to impress people with a phone then Iphone would be it!

Unobtanium

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
I like bulkier phones. On my StarTACs, v60 and GZ1 Boulder, I used extended batteries. So it is with the Thunderbolt. I have large hands, and the TB just works for me. Still liking the kickstand, the FM Radio, and since the GB update and the update to the update, the stability of the phone (I only had two or three random reboots early on anyway). I've said in it the other threads about the "next phone," I still don't have one for sure. Maybe a Casio LTE device.

johnriii

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
That isn't isolated to HTC. I doubt any android device aside from maybe the Razr Maxx would get that kind of usage and they only accomplished that by cramming in a battery twice as big as most others are shipping with.

I knew that...my comment was meant to be sarcastic!! Netflix uses about 11% battery per 30 minutes on
4G...9/10 times, I'm watching netflix in my truck, which means I'm usually plugged into the charger anyway. either way, HTC admitting this is encouraging, but does that really mean they're going to do something about it? I'm stuck with my Tbolt until July 2013, and I'm done griping about the battery. if it were the ONLY phone with horrific battery life, then I would be :mad: but it's not, and I've figured out how to manage it, with the stock battery.

JerseyDubbin

Open Source For Life!
Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
My tbolt with stock battery lasts 8-10 hours. Which is more than enough for me. The only days it dies is if i'm skiing and forget to turn data off. Other than that I can always charge it at some point 99% of the time. If it dies then that just means i'm disconnected from social network...o noess

I have an iPhone 4 for work and that battery lasts 5 days. There are days I don't even unlock the phone because I get my email other places. I'm sure I could get my tbolt to last more than a day with everything turned off (facebook, twitter, gmail, etc).

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I just bought my TB 3 weeks ago and I am extremely happy with it. The best $50 I've spent in years.

I bought the Rezound for $ 50 on upgrade back in November, IMO, at the same price point, I think that the rezound is a better phone in just about every aspect, stock for stock.

Though, i can see why the rezound didn't sell well, they should have focused on making a better phone rather than the beats gimmick.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12