what was the fix for the TBolt battery issues?

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Hi,

What was the fix that supposedly was found for the TBolt's lousy battery life? I was on the phone with VZW 611 last week and she told me there had been a fix. Because we were discussing battery issues with my new Rezound I didn't question her. But the way the Rezound is going I'm thinking of going back to the TBolt.

Thanks,
Deb

bjboucher

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
There never was a "fix". They claimed in one or two of the updates to give better battery life but there no official "fix" for it. They had some updates to the radios in the OTAs that gave slight improvements.

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
There never was a "fix". They claimed in one or two of the updates to give better battery life but there no official "fix" for it. They had some updates to the radios in the OTAs that gave slight improvements.

Yah, the update from Froyo to Gingerbread did help a bit and may be a couple updates after that as well in that they stabilized the radios. But another big help, ironically enough, is the Rezound 1620mAh battery! :)

bjboucher

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Yah, the update from Froyo to Gingerbread did help a bit and may be a couple updates after that as well in that they stabilized the radios. But another big help, ironically enough, is the Rezound 1620mAh battery! :)

Right, but there was no magical fix that was ever created like she is asking about. Rooting, bigger batteries and managing apps that suck battery life is really all you can do.

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Right, but there was no magical fix that was ever created like she is asking about. Rooting, bigger batteries and managing apps that suck battery life is really all you can do.

My bad, should've worded my original response better as I agree with you. Just wanted to add that it was incremental things that have helped with battery life. :)

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
So, if I factory reset my TBolt and then go for an OTA upgrade will that get me to Gingerbread and all the other updates that have come out?

When you do a factory reset is the sim car in or out of the phone? I have it currently in my Rezound but can switch it over to my TBolt.

Last edited:

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
There is no fix. Never has been. I use the extended battery and that gives me a day of use but I recharge often. The supposed fix is to shut off push for email and weather and stop using 4g,...but what good is a smart phone that you have to make stupid to get good battery life? I'd rather use all the apps I want, use 4g, and make use of the great features in this phone BUT I have a charger upstairs, downstairs, in my car, and one in each office at work. If you want to call chqrging every few hours the fix then that is my fix. I've tried several roms with different kernels and although some have worse battery life than stock none have better imo.

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
So, if I factory reset my TBolt and then go for an OTA upgrade will that get me to Gingerbread and all the other updates that have come out?

When you do a factory reset is the sim car in or out of the phone? I have it currently in my Rezound but can switch it over to my TBolt.

Shouldn't have to factory reset to get an OTA update, although starting from a clean slate of a factory reset wouldn't hurt. SIM card is not needed for a factory reset, although it would be to get a data connection for an OTA update. The last update was 2.11.605.9 (I believe all the Gingerbread updates started with 2.11, Froyo was 1. something). You can check your current version via Menu, Settings, About Phone, Software Information. It will be listed under Software Number.

Mike_is_Mike

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

What was the fix that supposedly was found for the TBolt's lousy battery life? I was on the phone with VZW 611 last week and she told me there had been a fix. Because we were discussing battery issues with my new Rezound I didn't question her. But the way the Rezound is going I'm thinking of going back to the TBolt.

Thanks,

The fix is to buy the rezound battery, bump charging and carry spares......or buy the humpback extended battery.

Deb

dragonsamus

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
Like everyone said there was no fix.

My fix was to purchase the extended battery. I recently went back to the stock battery and by switching 4G off until I use data battery has been good. But this is no way to use a smart phone. Back to the extended I go with 4G on all day and everything syncing. :)

bjboucher

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site

What software version do you have? You might have Gingerbread already and just not know it. It doesn't look any different on the outside.

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
My fix has been to put a Rezound battery in my Thunderbolt. Lasts all day using 3G data with no problem.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

rookie83

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
I had quickly upgraded my TB to a sedio 3200 mah battery after getting the phone because I work 12 hr shifts even though I wasnt in a 4g area (Hint Verizon), the new battery lasted more than a day and half with moderate to heavy use. I did find issues with the bigger battery I'm The but of many jokes cause I carry a brick and I have found that most of my battery drain has been bad APPS. I have found that certian apps even after closing the app seem to cause a sever battery draw. Just the othe day I down loaded 3 new apps and one is kiling battery bad unplug phone at 730 am by 330 pm phone is so dead wont turn on so after recharging and reboting phone was ok but then as soon as I open one of the apps the same battery issue dead before 8hrs unpluged as soon as I find the app doing it it gets taken off my phone then no issue!!!

johnriii

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
It's amazing how many VZW reps give improper information. (I'm sure this goes on with other carriers as well) If you don't know what you're talking about, just shut up. luckily, there are places like android central where we can learn from the real "experts". I've had my Tbolt since late November, and have learned so much through this site than any VZW rep has ever told me since i've been with them (6 years now). I frequent a local VZW store weekly (gamestop is right next door!) and I know more about their phones than they do!!

MY battery fix is to have an extra battery and charge whenever I can. it's a minor annoyance, but it's an even tradeoff for blazing 4G speeds. ;)

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Maybe I'm alone in this, but I bought the extended battery two weeks after I got the phone in August and STILL had trouble getting through a day without worrying about charging. After the final Gingerbread update, I've noticed an impressive increase in battery life. At least a 20-30% increase.

I'm now 1 day, 13 hours, 10 minutes on a charge, and I have 19% battery remaining. This is moderate use (probably 3-4 hours of screen time a day, about 20 pictures taken including a few with flash and location awareness on, plus I have all data set to push at default or maximum rates, three weather apps, Google Reader updating in the background, Touchdown and MobileIron running, Facebook and Google+ pushing status updates, Gmail in push, etc etc). I run Google Maps in the foreground with the screen on for my 40-minute round trip to work.

I'm in a 3G-only coverage area, but I have not turned off 4G or done any battery-saving stuff like that.

Stock, running active wallpaper in the background, and Go Launcher.

Two other Thunderbolters at work (both stock battery users) have mentioned a marked increase in battery life after the last Gingerbread update.

I still loves me my extended battery, don't get me wrong - you can have that when you take it from my cold, dead hands. But the last update DID help with battery life for every Thunderbolt owner I know personally. Yes, there are only three of us, but we all have consistent increases in battery life coincident to the last update.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I'm with you on pushing everything but I don't get leaving 4G on in 3G only area? That's just wasting battery for no possible net gain.