hacked mobile email account

mmontel

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
I have a verizon.net email account. According to what others are telling me they are receiving bizarre emails send from my mobile for my verizon.net account. Obviously it has been hacked. Since the email says sent from verizon.net mobile what do I need to do to stop this? Any ideas of how this happened? Will simply changing my password on the account fix the problem?

dragonsamus

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
Changing the password would be the first step. Go through your sent emails and see which friends received them. If your friends opened the email there's a chance their passwords have been compromised.

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Changing the account password would be the first step. Keep in mind that the "From" address can be easily spoofed though. Check for other evidence that the account has been compromised such as: unusual stuff in any other folders (ex. sent items, deleted items, contacts, etc.). Check if there's a way to verify what IP addresses have accessed the account. GMail has this feature when logged into the web interface. If not, contact the e-mail provider and ask them. Also, have you accessed the e-mail account anywhere else such a kiosk in a hotel? Or some other system that may have been compromised or had a keylogger? Also, any new apps on your phone that could be a culprit?

mmontel

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. Based on a screen shot it was sent from my actual email address. I already changed my password but am concerned about how this happened. This is a pop 3 Verizon account . The only new app added to my phone was this tapatalk that I downloaded yesterday.

I will closely inspect my account and watch it closely.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

defcon999

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. Based on a screen shot it was sent from my actual email address. I already changed my password but am concerned about how this happened. This is a pop 3 Verizon account . The only new app added to my phone was this tapatalk that I downloaded yesterday.

I will closely inspect my account and watch it closely.

This happened to me on Facebook. My friends said I was sending bizzare emails for "enhancing" certain parts of the body.

I went in and changed my password to a lowercase, uppercase and a special character combination...basically something very strong (where before it was a more simple password) and I havent' had issues in almost 2 years.

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
...I already changed my password but am concerned about how this happened.
Usualy this happens because you are not using a complex password (i.e. mixed case, numbers and special characters). Like: Passw0rd. If you use a password that spells a real word, LOOKOUT! (i.e Fido, Butch, Kitty, password [don't laugh-- it happens!], Anastaia, Marylou, masochism, etc.). Well, maybe not "etc." :D

Or... you told somebody!

-Frank

Last edited:

mmontel

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
Yes I did need a more complex password and have one now. Just trying to remember the different passwords is a challenge. (Yes I do user a password vault.) I knew better.

Thomasbj

May 8, 2013
Visit site
Pls pls pls.. is there anyway I can't access my personal system @home remotely on my Android phone when am outer my state,, I want to kno what my siblings use my system to do when am not around...... plssssss. I need help.....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xd3dp1gX