T-Bolt battery won't charge, now dead

colebrianj

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
Ok, so today I got a brand new extended life battery and wall charge to make sure it wasn't the problem, and turns out it wont. My phone won't charge when it's plugged in, even though the indicator on top says it is, but now my battery is dead and my Thunderbolt won't boot as a result. My phone is rooted, no ROM, and has been for 2 months now with no issues. Is there a fix to this somewhere, tried searching around for answers but this seems a little odd? Help please, thanks. Brian

colebrianj

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
yeah new power cable and battery, nothing changed. While I'm at it... can someone give me the link to download the latest stable version of CM7 for the Thunderbolt? Don't see it on their site, gotta be somewhere I've seen it around. Thanks.

jl1252

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I have a similar problem. My bolt will charge just fine via the wall charger and plugged into my computer's usb port. However, it has stopped charging from my various car chargers. At first I thought my car charger just died, then I realized all the indicator lights and the widget were indicating it was charging but the batt% never increased, and after letting it sit plugged in on my commute to work (one hour), the % actually went down as it normally would if it wasnt plugged in at all. Weird. I even bought a new battery and it still won't charge via the car charger. I guess I'll get it replaced under warranty unless someone has any idea how to resolve this.

jl1252

Last edited:

roxy surf

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
I was watching a YouTube video while my phone was connected to the wall charger and the phone died right in the middle of it..about a half hour ago I had it charging and the indicator light went off and I couldn't get the screen on til I did a battery pull

worwig

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
At first I thought my car charger just died, then I realized all the indicator lights and the widget were indicating it was charging but the batt% never increased, and after letting it sit plugged in on my commute to work (one hour), the % actually went down as it normally would if it wasnt plugged in at all. Weird.

This isn't related to the OP problem, but just an FYI.

Short version. If you get a charge light and it is not charging, try a new cable first.

Long version. I made a charger to use my T'Bolt as a GPS on my motorcycle. I actually made this years ago for my WinMo phones. Occasionally, my T'Bolt will do this, everything connected, charge indicator on and all. I'm using the GPS, and not noticing that the battery is dieing. A few tests and I found the cable connector was bad. I replaced the cable and all is well again. I leave the charger on the bike all of the time and I believe rain water is getting into the cable connector and corroding it. When it goes bad, you can wiggle it around and get it to work again. I've replaced the cable three or four times now ( I bought a bag of cheap ones on Ebay) and it always corrects it. I have designed a waterproof boot for storing the connector and hopefully that fixes it. So if you see this, try a new cable.

BTW, the charge currrent is easy to monitor with the Battery Monitor Widget.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
However, it has stopped charging from my various car chargers. At first I thought my car charger just died, then I realized all the indicator lights and the widget were indicating it was charging but the batt% never increased, and after letting it sit plugged in on my commute to work (one hour), the % actually went down as it normally would if it wasnt plugged in at all.
jl1252
I'd suggest taking the car charger in to your local Verizon store and get it checked there - I had a similar problem; it would even charge other phones, but not my Thunderbolt. Turns out the charger was just bad; I bought a new one and it's been fine since.

Sent from my Sinclair ZX-80 using Tapatalk

ggrr8t

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
Maybe ck battery contacts inside phone. Nothing touching? Then with pencil eraser lightly wipe contacts making sure no eraser residue stays behind, then try charging. Also do same with actual battery

Last edited:

jldad

May 23, 2011
Visit site
My TB is having the same issues. I plug it up at night and make sure the red indicator light is on, but several times in the past 2 weeks I wake up and the phone is dead and turned off. This is a problem because I use it as my alarm. I called Verizon and they sent me a new battery. Worked good for two days and I woke up this morning with a dead phone again. Called Verizon and they said they are researching for any know issues. This is m y 4th TB. I would rather have the problem fixed then just sending me another THUNDERDUD.

Last edited:

xm202afro#AC

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
Just curious, I pulled down the "battery monitor widget" and fired it up.
The results I'm getting for charging current is all over the place to say the
least. What should a standard charging voltage/current be for a working
TB? as of now, I've had 12mA up to 88mA. I've seen this with various
cables, chargers (including car)), even had a few say "Discharging" while
in the "AC Plugged" status.

Very odd, as I'm sure most USB ports are limited to 500mA, the wall chargers
I have are 500mA and 1A. Charging with the low amps that I'm getting,
the estimates for full charge are 15 ~ 20 hours or more this is on the stock
battery as well. I wonder if my contacts are dirty on the TB itself, which posses
an issue, as clearances are very tight.

Last thing I was going to do, was see if my charger supports 208-220V, and
if so, will run into the server room and drop it into one of my server racks
and see if outputs any more current to charge.

alex hubby

Dec 22, 2012
Visit site
mines doin it now ive tried havin the battery out but its not working should i keep it out for an hour or any certain time i really need my phone long distance doesnt work well without it :',:)':)':)':)':)':)':)'(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeneral2