Google Visual Voicemail not working well for me...

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm about to switch back from Google Visual Voicemail to VZW Visual Voicemail. I've spent over a month testing and working with GVV trying to get it to work right but I can't.

Does anyone else have these issues with Google VVM?

1) 8 times out of 10 the transcriptions do not come through (no matter how long I wait). If I reboot, sometimes they do.

2) I added to send a Text message too (I don't like that but I hoped it would fix it) and it did not fix the issue. The text message often has the transcript but the Google Visual Voicemail app does not (until I take those recovery actions).

3) I find when I get a GVVM and tap on the GVVM app, I have a blank transcription. After either listening to the VM or simply taping on the entry and returning back to the list, the text sometimes fills in. Often not.

4) I've tried "Refresh" on the menu, no joy.

Bottom line, it is not consistent for me. I never know what I'm gonna have to do to get the transcript. Differs each time it seems.

At least with VZW I know how to proceed each time so it's not so annoying.

Stock OTA.

Comments? Ideas?

-Frank

Last edited:

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Does VZW even try to transcribe the voice?
No. But I guess I waste so much time trying to get it that it's just annoying. That's all. I do understand your point. I just wish it would work. Looks like the issue is actually in the phone app, not google voice itself. Does your app do this? I'm not talking about occasionally missing a transcription. I'm talking abot 80 percent of the time.

I just uninstalled and reinstalld and it made no change. BTW, this time I paid attention to the manual way of doing it (shown on the instructions) and did it that way. 1) *71google10digitnumber. 2) *90google10digitnumber. 3) *92google10digitnumber.

-Frank

Last edited:

worwig

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
Does your app do this? -Frank

I'm rude enough that I don't get too many people leaving me voice messages. :D

Mine does it sometimes. It appeared to me that if I open the app, before it has transcribed it, it will never transcribe it. But if I let it sit, it will likely do it.
Maybe.
Or maybe not.
Not sure.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
No. But I guess I waste so much time trying to get it that it's just annoying. That's all. I do understand your point. I just wish it would work. Looks like the issue is actually in the phone app, not google voice itself. Does your app do this? I'm not talking about occasionally missing a transcription. I'm talking abot 80 percent of the time.

I just uninstalled and reinstalld and it made no change. BTW, this time I paid attention to the manual way of doing it (shown on the instructions) and did it that way. 1) *71google10digitnumber. 2) *90google10digitnumber. 3) *92google10digitnumber.

-Frank

I find the transcription is about 50-50 however the sound quality is better than vzw vvm for me. I also use the free sms feature because I only get 250 sms a month on my plan.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I have everything Google except Google voice. Tried it. Didn't like it. I prefer Verizon visual. Hate that its not free but I like it just the same. For the most part messages are crystal clear too.

Sent from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
The one reason I could never go back to Verizon's VVM iis because I work in a very "shielded" building all day and get no cell reception (and usually just turn my phone off when I get to my office in the morning)...so the email alerts that GV sends to alert me that I have a new VM are very nice for me. Also, I used to have a lot of issues with my phone not being able to log into the Verizon VVM app, which is what prompted me to switch in the first place.

Having said that, I've noticed what the OP is talking about...sometimes I get a transcript, sometimes I don't. I don't really mind, I kinda just view the transcript as an added "oh that's neat" feature that really doesn't affect my view on the service in general. I'm pretty sure that they list that as a "beta" feature anyway. Also, to be honest, the transcription is almost never accurate enough that I don't have to listen to the actual message anyway (that could be a reflection of those that call me though!).

SofiaBrown12

May 9, 2012
Visit site
First of all try to restore the device by going to the backup & restore option. Take the backup of your data and then restore it.
If it fails to restore the device then simply remove iTunes and Apple Mobile Device support and then reinstall iTunes 7.5 or higher to reset your voice mail and you are good to go.
How to Fix Common iPhone Errors?

firepsych

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I have found VVM to be unreliable. It takes too long to notify me I have a message.
I use GVM primarily because VVM is unreliable and it takes forever to navigate through their menu to hear my new messages.
I also think the Google transcription is a beta, so I cant ding them for that. But the transcriptions sure are fun to read. Like drunk Ad-Libs.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Central Forums

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol