Got a Rezound as a replacement under warranty

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Well, I bought my TBolt back in April, and always had problems with data drops, random reboots and shut downs throughout all my original and 2 replacement Thunderbolts. I got a Rezound for $50 on upgrade back in November and have been using it ever since. To be honest, I loved the Thunderbolt, but I don't miss the data drops, random reboots, and shut downs of my Thunderbolt. The Rezound isn't perfect(got 2 retail box replacements for it as well, bad luck with phones, i guess), still has some data drops, but only for maybe 20 seconds then data comes back, and not as frequently. On my Tbolt, data would sometimes get "stuck", it would say 4G, but no data for minutes until i hit the "restart connections" app. even that would be marginally acceptable, but shut downs are plain not acceptable for me since i use my phone as an alarm clock and reminder. I do live in an area of weak signal though.

I pulled the sim from my Rezound put it back into my Tbolt and called csr to complain. I never once asked for a different phone, but I kept saying how my Rezound doesn't have the data drop, reboot, and shut down problems of my Tbolt. The CSR offered me other devices, either the Charge or Rezound. Would not let me get a Razr (I kinda wanted a Razr for the laptop dock), but i do hate the non-replaceable battery. I did find it funny that the csr said that the Razr was not in the same class as the Rezound?!?!?!? At first, I was thinking that they didn't want to offer a "Droid", but the Charge is a "Droid".

I will certainly miss you guys, I learned a lot from everyone here, and I will still drop in from time to time. The Thunderbolt was my first smartphone and was very enjoyable, save the issues above.

p.s. my wife isn't happy since i keep getting new phones. just got a high end wp7 (Samsung Focus S) for free without contract by trading in my crappy pixi). oh well, hope she doesn't get too mad, but this phone didn't cost anything either.

btw, for those that got a switched phone, did you get a back cover and battery? the csr i talked to said i'd have to buy it myself. that's okay since i have 2 tb ext batt, 1 rez std bat, and 1 rez ext bat, so i have enough batteries to share.

jldad

May 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm on my 4th Thunderbolt. Verizon had offered me a Charge but not a Rezound. I turned it down. How did you get the Rezound?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm on my 4th Thunderbolt. Verizon had offered me a Charge but not a Rezound. I turned it down. How did you get the Rezound?

I just said that I had the problems with my thunderbolt as i said above, and said that i had several thunderbolts with the same problem. But I bought a rezound and didn't have any of the problems with my Rezound. The csr offered me the rezound, I never asked for it. But of course, it is a ymmv. They are not required to switch phones.

jm013

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
I'm on my second Thunderbolt. The only problem with the first one is I dropped it in a puddle. Some people create their own problems with these phones so they can justify getting a new one.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
And this is why they change their policies because some people take advantage

Sent from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
OP--it sounds to me like you're never satisfied with your phones. Do you expect a phone to be perfect?

no, not perfect, but it must suit my needs. a phone that crashes or locks up is not acceptable. a phone that has a broken speaker is not acceptable. obviously some people may find these things acceptable, i do not.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Verizon originally was 14 day trial. Then they decided to make it 30 days. People were taking advantage and they switched back to 14 days. Now there are no more rebates or one yr options. Only two yr and phones are more expensive. And now a 30.00 fee when upgrading. I hope my beloved Bolt lasts because its getting expensive to upgrade. Mine has been basically trouble free and decent battery life using Rezound battery. I was skeptical on that but caved into getting it since reading how well it does. This has been the best phone for me. Haven't had to replace. Very VERY happy

paulmike3

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Verizon originally was 14 day trial. Then they decided to make it 30 days. People were taking advantage and they switched back to 14 days. Now there are no more rebates or one yr options. Only two yr and phones are more expensive. And now a 30.00 fee when upgrading.

All these changes were due to Verizon carrying the iPh*ne. Apple strongarmed them into a contract that changed their entire customer-focused philosophy into one that is designed to screw the customer over at every possible opportunity. Verizon had to cave, as the fruit was being dangled in front of their faces, and they'd "miss out again" of they didn't succumb to the pressure. Thanks Steve. :mad:

flipbeats

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
I love the thunderbolt the only downfall is that its not a world phone which kind of need because I travel every year , well I try to at least. Its sucks going from a t-bolt to a blackberry .. I don't use the verizon sim but the one from the country I am in and it works great. do any of you guys know if samsung has a world phone.. I know motorola does. Also for the record I haven't broken my tbolt yet.. (Knock on wood) not that its that big of a deal cause I have my insurance .

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I love the thunderbolt the only downfall is that its not a world phone which kind of need because I travel every year , well I try to at least. Its sucks going from a t-bolt to a blackberry .. I don't use the verizon sim but the one from the country I am in and it works great. do any of you guys know if samsung has a world phone.. I know motorola does. Also for the record I haven't broken my tbolt yet.. (Knock on wood) not that its that big of a deal, cause I have my insurance .

Fyi, the rezound on voice works fine as quad band gsm. Data and sms may be a problem though. You can use the rezound on tmo, att, or just about any gsm carrier as it comes sim unlocked.

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
I've been trying for six months to get a new phone. I'm on my fourth Thunderbolt and HTC and Verizon keep pointing fingers at each other as to who's fault it is. I don't care anymore. I'd pay the $50 for a new, reliable phone...aka Rezound.

Anyone have any hints as to how I can persuade one of these two Titans of Turd to relent and give me a new phone?

Thanks...

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Ans because of the iPhone its the FCC making the rift. Can blame losing unlimited due to the freaking iPhone

Mortiel

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Fyi, the rezound on voice works fine as quad band gsm. Data and sms may be a problem though. You can use the rezound on tmo, att, or just about any gsm carrier as it comes sim unlocked.

I should preface this carefully with these questions: You are aware that Verizon Wireless and Sprint both are based on CDMA networks for voice services, which are completely incompatible with the GSM-based networks AT&T and T-Mobile uses, correct? You are also aware the HTC Rezound is a Verizon Wireless non-global LTE Android smartphone, yes?

Now, I had no idea the Rezound had a quad-band GSM radio in it like other Verizon global phone have to in order to be used on any GSM voice services... I just thought it had LTE (700 MHz) and EV-DO/1xRTT CDMA (900 MHz/1.9 GHZ) radios. Maybe I missed a memo, but last I knew LTE is not backward compatible with older GSM tech. Did you personally accomplish this?

Furthermore, you do know that SMS is sent on the same carrier protocol as voice transmission, right? Data and MMS are sent via data transmission.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I should preface this carefully with these questions: You are aware that Verizon Wireless and Sprint both are based on CDMA networks for voice services, which are completely incompatible with the GSM-based networks AT&T and T-Mobile uses, correct? You are also aware the HTC Rezound is a Verizon Wireless non-global LTE Android smartphone, yes?

Now, I had no idea the Rezound had a quad-band GSM radio in it like other Verizon global phone have to in order to be used on any GSM voice services... I just thought it had LTE (700 MHz) and EV-DO/1xRTT CDMA (900 MHz/1.9 GHZ) radios. Maybe I missed a memo, but last I knew LTE is not backward compatible with older GSM tech. Did you personally accomplish this?

Furthermore, you do know that SMS is sent on the same carrier protocol as voice transmission, right? Data and MMS are sent via data transmission.

yes, i am aware that Verizon has not (yet) designated the Rezound as a global phone and that Verizon uses cdma for voice at the moment.

I have personally used my Rezound for voice calls on AT&T and TMO, but have not tested sms or data, only reporting what others have said.

I haven't really kept up with the latest "global" development of the Rezound, but it is my understanding that with the correct rom, that voice, sms, and data should work now via quad band gsm. note that based on what I have read, you may only get edge speeds on certain networks.

just to add that if anyone wants a guaranteed global phone, then get one that Verizon designates as such. I was merely pointing out a perk of the Rezound, but as Verizon has not officially sanctioned GSM use, anyone doing so does it at his or her own risk. Anyone interested in doing so should check out other information readily available on the internet regarding the Rezound's GSM capabilities before taking the plunge.

revinger

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
I licked out last month. My bolt had been mostly trouble free. Stuck it on the charger when I went to bed, and woke up with it totally dead. Went to the local franchise store that I got it from last year thinking I was just completely out of luck.

Did not realize HTC had a one year hardware warranty. I was just 3 weeks shy of the 1 year. Guess if it was going to die on me it chose a most opportune time. It could of picked a better time than a Friday morning. Replacement arrived the following Tuesday, they sent what I presume is a refurbished bolt.

Hoping this one lasts at least a year as I like many others have no desire to turn my head and cough to pick a replacement. I actually like my bolt.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
replacement phones have the remainder of your one year warranty or 90 days warranty, whichever is longer.

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
As it turns out, after sending more than a few letters to the PTB throughout Verizon, I've had multiple calls from customer service reps. I now have a new Rezound. Thank you!:D

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance