Wifi or Bluetooth Tether on HTC?

jschwemmer

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Hello,

I recently upgraded our phones from the ancient Droid Eris and OG Droid to the HTC Thunderbolt and the Droid 4. We have an unlimited data plan (grandfathered in from Verizon) I am able to run FoxFi on my Droid 4 just fine (7.76M Down, 6M UP), but the Thunderbolt will not connect to my laptop no matter what I do. I have tried Bluetooth, but the laptop will not discover the phone for some reason. The USB tether is problematic and spotty and extremely aggravating for my wife. I don't get why the phone would be limited, considering we have the same carrier and I have no issues, but I haven't had any success with the alternatives. I do not want to root the phone, I would just like to get the most from my data plan without an additional $39.95, or Comcast an additional $44.95.

Are there any resources/guides for tethering through FoxFi Bluetooth, or alternative tethering methods through Bluetooth or tether that would work better than tether.com? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

isaacdibb1095

Mar 7, 2012
Visit site
I cant really answer you question... but i know that most Bluetooth capable should work if they came out of the box with some version of Windows 7.

Randomhero180

May 23, 2011
elementdesignllc.com
I have not had any problems tethering my bolt through bluetooth to my windows vista laptop.

Not trying to offend, just trying to help, but did you go to the help files in the foxfi app and follow the step by step instructions for your platform?

Randomhero180

May 23, 2011
elementdesignllc.com
maybe try to install bluetooth drivers from the laptop manufactures Site? If you can't find the option and you know you have bluetooth on your laptop, that sounds like the culprit.

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Yes I did. I upgraded from vista to Windows 7 Home and Student and i can not find the Bluetooth option anywhere on my computer
Loss of Bluetooth drivers is one of the most common Vista/Win7 upgrade snags. Check the vendors sites for Win7 Bluetooth drivers for your PC. Both the Bluetooth stack vendor as well at the PC brand or motherboard vendor.

Google may provide a clue if some sort of "hack" is needed. It was for my Laptop Toshiba Bluetooth.

What happens, and happened in my case, is that Toshiba had licensed its Bluetooth stack to be distributed and used with the Sony Vista VAIO laptop I had, but not a Sony Windows 7 laptop. Therefore, due to licensing, the Bluetooth drivers I was using under Vista would not work when I upgraded to Win7. I found a "hack" on the Internet to correct this issue.

Added note: All the Bluetooth Internet connectivity solutions that I have ever used involved using "DUN" (Dial up Networking). Essentially this is a modem (virtual or not). A true Wireless (802) solution is always preferable to DUN for a number of DUN limiting reasons, if you can accomplish it.

If you want to stick to Bluetooth, there are a number of really low priced Bluetooth USB adapters available now. Prices in the range of $10-20. I put one in my desktop for $10. Works fine. These would come with the necessary drivers.

-Frank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coehlcke