Front Facing Camera Not Working

tonybusko

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Hi everyone! Need some help here. Recently my front facing camera doesn't work. I already went into apps, and cleared the camera settings. Tried the camera, clicked on the switch and it took me back to the home screen. I tried to find other help on this board but the clearing sounded like it would work, but it doesn't for me. Any suggestions what else I could do? Do you suggest factory reset? If I do, do I need to go into a VZW store?

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I don't have any ideas about the root problem (mine just works as it should), but you should try a few things before resorting to a factory reset:
1. Reboot the phone
2. Shutdown completely and do a battery pull
3. If that doesn't work then the dreaded factory reset may be your last alternative. You don't need to go to a Verizon store to do that, although I'm sure they'd be glad to help you. Before you attempt that on your own be sure to search the forum for other threads on stuff you should do before you pull the yellow handle.
You haven't installed any apps lately that may be interfering with camera behavior, have you?

Sent from my Sinclair ZX-80 using Tapatalk

defcon999

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Hi everyone! Need some help here. Recently my front facing camera doesn't work. I already went into apps, and cleared the camera settings. Tried the camera, clicked on the switch and it took me back to the home screen. I tried to find other help on this board but the clearing sounded like it would work, but it doesn't for me. Any suggestions what else I could do? Do you suggest factory reset? If I do, do I need to go into a VZW store?

Are you rooted?...if so, what ROM are you using?. I know Team BAMF has a CAMERA Fix. I don't know if that would help you.

If you need to do a factory reset, you can do it yourself.

1. Menu
2. Setting
3. Storage
4. Scroll down to "Factory Reset"

but, before you do that, download Titanium or MyBackUp and backup your information. You don't need to back up your photos since they are on your SD card and the Factory Reset won't touch your SD card.

After you do a factory reset and log back in, all your apps will/should automcatically download and reinstall. THen after that is complete, go back into your backup program (Titanium or MyBackup), and restore all yoru infomation (other than SYSTEM SETTINGS).

Reactions: tonybusko

tonybusko

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
@GSDer The apps I had installed was the go launcher, when I uninstalled that it still didnt work, but then had verizon tech on phone and when we restarted it it was fine. Then today, I installed that damn instagram and check the front facing and guess what, stopped working again. so frustrated. :)

tonybusko

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Are you rooted?...if so, what ROM are you using?. I know Team BAMF has a CAMERA Fix. I don't know if that would help you.

If you need to do a factory reset, you can do it yourself.

1. Menu
2. Setting
3. Storage
4. Scroll down to "Factory Reset"

but, before you do that, download Titanium or MyBackUp and backup your information. You don't need to back up your photos since they are on your SD card and the Factory Reset won't touch your SD card.

After you do a factory reset and log back in, all your apps will/should automcatically download and reinstall. THen after that is complete, go back into your backup program (Titanium or MyBackup), and restore all yoru infomation (other than SYSTEM SETTINGS).

I'm not rooted...thinking about doing that factory reset right now cuz it happened again today after I installed the instagram. streamzoo here I come after this process.

Regarding the Titanium or MyBackUp, it seems it works for rooted phones. What should I be worried about backing up anyhow, since all the apps should download. all my contacts are from google...and my work exchange, I can just have them reset it, right?

tonybusko

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
:( well, that didnt fix anything at all. Did the factory reset and started the camera, same thing, front facing camera is not working. WTF. Any ideas as to what else it could be?!?

defcon999

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I'm not rooted...thinking about doing that factory reset right now cuz it happened again today after I installed the instagram. streamzoo here I come after this process.

Regarding the Titanium or MyBackUp, it seems it works for rooted phones. What should I be worried about backing up anyhow, since all the apps should download. all my contacts are from google...and my work exchange, I can just have them reset it, right?

It isn't only for ROOTED phones...well MyBackUp isn't.

Yes, you are right, apps download for you...but, with MyBackup, you can backup your SMS, MMS, Calendar and Contacts (even though they are on gmail if you use that). Can backup your HOMESCREEN and restore it to looking like it use to be.

It is always good to have a backup of your data....first rule of computers!

tonybusko

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
It was fine setting it back up. The SMS is all on google voice.

It was fine w/o the backup for me for now...maybe not later but now it was fine. Just very frustrated that this issue isnt resolved. so pissed.

yodatom10

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
It might be a hardware issue. It might be time to take a trip to your local Verizon street and see what they can do for u and replace it if they can't fix it

urmuther17

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
my camera on my verizon thunderbolt is also not working grrrr.. I've tried everything and it don't work i even called tech support and reset the whole thing and nothing..

yodatom10

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
If you not rooted and you did a factory reset your going to need to get verizon to send a replacement as its probably hardware related.

Sent from my jellybean powered Nexus

Last edited:

bigberries

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Mine stopped working too a few weeks ago... Did all the recommended things.

My software version says: 2.11.605.19 on 05/11/2012

defcon999

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Mine stopped working too a few weeks ago... Did all the recommended things.

My software version says: 2.11.605.19 on 05/11/2012

Are you rooted?.

If you are and depending on what ROM you are using, the Developers might have a camera FIX for it. I know for a fact that the BAMF ROMS have camera fixes.

bigberries

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Are you rooted?.

If you are and depending on what ROM you are using, the Developers might have a camera FIX for it. I know for a fact that the BAMF ROMS have camera fixes.

I'm not rooted - but would be willing to do it if there were confidence that it would get the camera going again. Mabye ICS will fix it? (I don't believe it's a hardware problem - but what do I know)

defcon999

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I'm not rooted - but would be willing to do it if there were confidence that it would get the camera going again. Mabye ICS will fix it? (I don't believe it's a hardware problem - but what do I know)

I know this is a dumb dumb stupid stupid questions, but does the CAMERA app (when you are in the camera app) have the ICON to flip the camera from front to back?.

I know when the GB update came out, it moved the icon and I was all panic'd. Someone pointed out the icon moved.

You probably already knew all this, but in the slim chance you didn't, you can check that.

What you can do is ROOT, install a new ROM. If that doesn't solve the problem, UNROOT, and put an insurance claim in.

bigberries

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I know this is a dumb dumb stupid stupid questions, but does the CAMERA app (when you are in the camera app) have the ICON to flip the camera from front to back?.

I know when the GB update came out, it moved the icon and I was all panic'd. Someone pointed out the icon moved.

You probably already knew all this, but in the slim chance you didn't, you can check that.

What you can do is ROOT, install a new ROM. If that doesn't solve the problem, UNROOT, and put an insurance claim in.

No question is too stupid - I appreciate the inquiry. Yes, both in Camera or Video Camera mode the icon is in the upper left of the screen. When I click on it, the application closes and takes me back to my home screen. I've done the clear cache and other stuff too.

defcon999

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site

There is no gurantee that will help your issue, but the good thing is, is that you can unroot just as easy with the "All in one tool".

I would suggest after you root, is to flash either a generic ASOP ROM (i.e. CM7, Thundershed, Thunderstick, SFK). If you want a Sense type ROM, then there are a bunch of good ones out there...Eternity, i-Kream, BAMF, Gingeritis, Liquid Smooth, Zeus and many many more.

cyborg03

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
Mine didn't work either....I ended up pressing the place where the lenses is at and it came back on...its either sticking or something but It works after I play around with it....don't know if it has a motion sensor or somethin

sent from my rooted thunderbolt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith