Here we go again

dnrperez

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Long story short on 3rd TB in 4 months. Keep having issues with text msg app crashing. Have replaced the phone per VZW withany success, and now they overing another phone(samsung charge) instead of the TB.

Any insight on either would be great.

Thanks...

mayerjj

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
Sorry to hear you are switching to the charge. I just got the tb a month ago as a replacement after four bad charges. I must say when it comes to android phones htc is far better than samsung.

Effenhimer

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
I would go for the Rezound if they offered... It's the TB2, (the scrapped the name because of all the bad press about the battery life when the TB first came out...) Like another poster said, the Charge is a downgrade. Also, make sure they don't try to renew your upgrade date. They've pulled that on me before because of the "courtesy" of giving me a different phone.

dnrperez

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I don't plan on getting out my TB it is by far the best phone I've have to date just wanted to know if anyone else was having same problems or ,could recommend a good sms app.

I pulled the specs for charge and went HELL no.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Mortiel

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
I would go for the Rezound if they offered... It's the TB2, (the scrapped the name because of all the bad press about the battery life when the TB first came out...) Like another poster said, the Charge is a downgrade. Also, make sure they don't try to renew your upgrade date. They've pulled that on me before because of the "courtesy" of giving me a different phone.

The Rezound was never the Thunderbolt 2. It's code name was the Vigor, and it's production name was Rezound. Almost the entire first half of your post was feeding a long dead rumor that was proven to be just rumor. That is not what I'd consider being helpful to the OP.

Furthermore, the Charge is NOT a downgrade, considering it launched being $50 *more expensive* than the Thunderbolt. It has similar hardware and offers similar features. The three first-gen LTE phones (Thunderbolt, Charge, Revolution) are all comparable. Anything else is just your personal opinion.

To the OP: Here is the skinny... You can try to press for another phone or another SMS app, but truth is that a crashing SMS app is likely NOT a defective phone, *especially* given that you've replaced it already for that same issue. Say what your want about warranty replacements, but they rarely repeat problems unless something else is wrong. Personally I would look at if you are running a custom ROM or if you have any other apps on your phone that kill apps (i.e. Adv Task Killer). There are tons of things that could cause a given app to force close or crash.

defcon999

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Go sms is great. Never had a problem with my tbolt don't downgrade.

+1 on GoSMS.....I haven't had any issues. The only minor one I have had at times is the keyboard will lock up...just have to be patient for a min. or 2 and then it comes back on.

I have Handcent installed and use it on occassion. Never have used or like the SMS program that comes with it.

Effenhimer

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
The Rezound was never the Thunderbolt 2. It's code name was the Vigor, and it's production name was Rezound. Almost the entire first half of your post was feeding a long dead rumor that was proven to be just rumor. That is not what I'd consider being helpful to the OP.

Guess I missed it being "proven to be just a rumor" thing, (not to mention every time I went into a VZW store, they try selling me a rezound, that they of course pitch as "basically the TB2"). It was really just my own opinion because of the specs, body, you know. But who really cares, never gonna be a retail TB2.

Sorry buddy, didn't mean to say VZW has shady contract terms... I've been with them for 10+ years. Don't worry, I still recommend them to everyone, and I'm not going any where, your job is safe.

Mortiel

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Guess I missed it being "proven to be just a rumor" thing, (not to mention every time I went into a VZW store, they try selling me a rezound, that they of course pitch as "basically the TB2"). It was really just my own opinion because of the specs, body, you know. But who really cares, never gonna be a retail TB2.

Sorry buddy, didn't mean to say VZW has shady contract terms... I've been with them for 10+ years. Don't worry, I still recommend them to everyone, and I'm not going any where, your job is safe.

My job has nothing to do with VZW's contract terms... And my point was that post was opinion guised as pseudo-fact. I come off as harsh at times, but I was not disagreeing with what you say about store reps telling you its "basicaly a TB2", but then again, I do not account store reps for being all that knowledgeable on handset development. They are just salesmen.

Fact is, the Thunderbolt was essentially a newer version of the EVO, with a Snapdragon S2 instead of an S1, a better kickstand, and LTE instead of WiMAX. It fixed a few design flaws and created new ones. If it has a sequel, it would comically be more likely to be the EVO 4G LTE on Sprint lol.

xXXNotMVAMXXx

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
Just as a follow up from someone that technically hasnt paid for a phone in 4 years argue with them and get mad but not to mad and they will usually upgrade you free after 3 phones. I startex with a blacmberry storm went through 4 of them was upgraded to a storm 2 went through 6 of them got the droid incredible. Used my new every two and sold the incredibke actually made $50 picking up the thunderbolt went through 3 of them and they just gave me the galaxy nexus last week for free, i bricked it rooting it told them it came defective and they sent me a brand new not refurb one.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
You are the type of customer I would not get along with. It is people like you who cause the carriers to make changes and raise the costs. Shame on you

Sent from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk

Reactions: johnriii and pcbtmr

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Just as a follow up from someone that technically hasnt paid for a phone in 4 years argue with them and get mad but not to mad and they will usually upgrade you free after 3 phones. I startex with a blacmberry storm went through 4 of them was upgraded to a storm 2 went through 6 of them got the droid incredible. Used my new every two and sold the incredibke actually made $50 picking up the thunderbolt went through 3 of them and they just gave me the galaxy nexus last week for free, i bricked it rooting it told them it came defective and they sent me a brand new not refurb one.

That would be fraud.

Effenhimer

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
That would be fraud.

The brick due to rooting, yes, technically... But for the rest, if they all had problems, and he had to go through that many different handsets to get ones that worked, then was finally given another, no. That's customer service.
I can't say what problems he had with the other phones, but if they were legit, then more power to him.
The times I've had problems with handsets, (The Glide? I can't remember if that was the name, it was a touch screen slider that was the first one to have "Google in your pocket" as a selling point, even though I got it day 1, it was recalled and eventually 100% replaced by VZW with the Envy 2...) I had issues getting problematic phones, until they replaced them with a completely different handset, (a downgrade) until my NE2 upgrade date. But they said after I tried to upgrade a few months later to a better phone per my NE2 upgrade for the original sale date, that because I took the replacement, (that they said I HAD to take because they could no longer give me the phone I originally bought because it was recalled), that they restarted my 2 year agreement, and NE2, because of the new phone I received. A year later, I ended up having to let them know I was going to cancel my service (paying the ETF) just to get the 1 year early upgrade to a better phone. Luckily I haven't had any problems with my Droid 1 (DAY 1, replacement for the Envy 2) or my TB (DAY 1), so it hasn't been an issue since. But if I would have, I wouldn't let them slide.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
I don't mean to offend anyone, and I'm sure there are folks out there with legitimate problems that necessitate getting a new phone, but having said that...

If every EVERY smartphone you've had has to be replaced MULTIPLE times, then there may be chance you're the one with the problem.

It seems like with every device there's always folks in forums saying their on their 3rd or 4th (or 5th or 6th...) device and it still doesn't work right. I don't know if some of these folks are abusing the device or just demanding a level of perfection that is beyond absurdity, but frankly I'm surprised Verizon doesn't just "see ya!" and terminate the contract.

(Again, I KNOW there are folks out there who have REAL issues who deserve to have a lemon swapped out for a working device, I know that)

Before my Thunderbolt, I've had the following devices:
BB Storm, BB 9650, BB Storm2, Droid Eris
Every one of them, including my Thunderbolt, I had only 1 device the entire time (and those are some of the devices with the most reported problems!).

Verizon (et al) could probably save TON of money by actually training some techs to diagnose and fix problems rather than just swap devices. I guess it really bothers me though because I have to imagine that all of this is a contributor to what drives prices higher each year; higher prices for phones, higher prices for plans, lengthier contracts terms and lengthier phone upgrade eligibility periods.

Sorry for the rant.

Reactions: FrankXS

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I use the stock text messaging. I never have had a problem. And as mentioned before it could be another app or ROM. The thunderbolt is a solid device. If you do have a task killer remove it. Unnecessary to have and causes issues.

johnriii

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I don't mean to offend anyone, and I'm sure there are folks out there with legitimate problems that necessitate getting a new phone, but having said that...

If every EVERY smartphone you've had has to be replaced MULTIPLE times, then there may be chance you're the one with the problem.

It seems like with every device there's always folks in forums saying their on their 3rd or 4th (or 5th or 6th...) device and it still doesn't work right. I don't know if some of these folks are abusing the device or just demanding a level of perfection that is beyond absurdity, but frankly I'm surprised Verizon doesn't just "see ya!" and terminate the contract.

(Again, I KNOW there are folks out there who have REAL issues who deserve to have a lemon swapped out for a working device, I know that)

Before my Thunderbolt, I've had the following devices:
BB Storm, BB 9650, BB Storm2, Droid Eris
Every one of them, including my Thunderbolt, I had only 1 device the entire time (and those are some of the devices with the most reported problems!).

Verizon (et al) could probably save TON of money by actually training some techs to diagnose and fix problems rather than just swap devices. I guess it really bothers me though because I have to imagine that all of this is a contributor to what drives prices higher each year; higher prices for phones, higher prices for plans, lengthier contracts terms and lengthier phone upgrade eligibility periods.

Sorry for the rant.

amen to that!! I've had to replace my Eris twice, but it was a legitimate issue, no fault of my own. outside of that, I've had the LG voyager, droid razr, and the Tbolt. No replacements on any of those three. My wife had the Razr and another LG phone, no replacement. I DO believe people abuse their phones, drop them, wash them, cracked screen, etc. I've had some minor things that have made me wonder about my Tbolt, but figured out how to repair them myself...(or got help from you guys in the forum!).

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RemusGhostofRome