Unlimited Data

chuckawd

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Like a lot of us, I got a launch day TBOLT and was grandfathered in with the unlimited data plan. I use, on average, 11gb per month of data. I wonder though, when I am up for upgrade this November, if I use an upgrade to get a new phone, will my unlimited data carry over to that new phone with a new 2 year contract?

isaacdibb1095

Mar 7, 2012
Visit site
Like a lot of us, I got a launch day TBOLT and was grandfathered in with the unlimited data plan. I use, on average, 11gb per month of data. I wonder though, when I am up for upgrade this November, if I use an upgrade to get a new phone, will my unlimited data carry over to that new phone with a new 2 year contract?

Verizon has told me to just wait for my upgrade so they can Godfather my Unlimited Data to my new contract... I use about 15 Gb a month during School, and about 25-30 GB and if I didn't have Unlimited Data, I'd be broke. If you get an upgrade before you have the 2 year discounted price to resign a contract, they are not supposed to Godfather it over, but most likely will. Anyways, to answer your question, Yes. They should Godfather it over, but before you leave with your new phone, make sure you have them transfer it over, and keep checking, just to be sure. Some Verizon people will tell you that you can't Godfather it over, just walk out and come back in a couple of minutes or just ask someone else for help, because that person is probably just going to try to sell you the most expensive and screw you over so they get more money from commission. Anyways, Have fun with your upgrade!

-Isaac-

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Many people have upgraded including myself after unlimited data was ended and still able to keep unlimited. Of course, Verizon may change their policy at any time.

jgostained

Sep 21, 2011
Visit site
If they change policy about upgrade simply pay full price for the phone pop the 4g Sim in and enjoy unlimited data

Sent from my XT875 using Tapatalk 2

chuckawd

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
I assume now that, to KEEP my unlimited data, I will have to buy off contract phones correct? I'm ok with that since doing so will be less costly in the long run.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I assume now that, to KEEP my unlimited data, I will have to buy off contract phones correct? I'm ok with that since doing so will be less costly in the long run.

Yes. The only way to keep unlimited data on Verizon is to buy a phone outright with no Verizon subsidy.

You can, of course, buy one used - just make sure it's from a reputable dealer or arrange to meet the seller at a Verizon store and do not give the seller money until the Verizon rep has successfully activated the phone on your account and you've made a call on it - if the phone was previously reported as stolen on the Verizon network or there is an unpaid bill associated with the phone, it's only good for parts.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
You can also buy cpo directly from Verizon with a substantial discount over retail. Selection depends on what is available, but it does carry a full one year warranty. Buying used does not have any warranty.

F350-6

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
First, what the heck are you folks doing to use that much data? Watching movies on your phone or something? How many mb/gb is a movie anyway?

You can also buy cpo directly from Verizon with a substantial discount over retail. Selection depends on what is available, but it does carry a full one year warranty. Buying used does not have any warranty.

What's a CPO? I'm guessing used or rebuilt? Can you buy the insurance on it?

bjboucher

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
I was reading in the S3 forum that if you have multiple lines and one without unlimited data is up for an upgrade you can upgrade that line and still keep your unlimited data. I will be trying this theory out next week. My wifes line is due for upgrade, i am going to get an S3 with her upgrade and see if i can keep my unlimited data.

Andy19

May 13, 2011
Visit site
I was reading in the S3 forum that if you have multiple lines and one without unlimited data is up for an upgrade you can upgrade that line and still keep your unlimited data. I will be trying this theory out next week. My wifes line is due for upgrade, i am going to get an S3 with her upgrade and see if i can keep my unlimited data.

Hopefully you have good luck.

I was going to let my friend use my upgrade so he could get the "fancy" iPhone5, but as soon as they told me I would lose my unlimited data, I told him the deal was off.

I use a little over a gig or so. Nothing crazy. I probably would be fine, but I don't want to waste my upgrade either even though the few other lines on the account have upgrades soon.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
If you tether to a computer, a 2 hour movie on netflix at the highest setting would use 4.6gb. I think that you can buy insurance or extended warranty on cpo, I am not 100% sure as i have never bought one. Cpo as said above is certified pre owned. It is similar to the warranty replacement units, but should come with all accessories.

First, what the heck are you folks doing to use that much data? Watching movies on your phone or something? How many mb/gb is a movie anyway?

---------- Post Merged at 09:56 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 09:52 AM ----------

Data on legacy family share plans are tied to the individual line. If you have unlimited data and upgrade your wife's line, then she would be forced to a tiered data plan starting at $30 for 2gb if she wasn't already on a tiered data plan. Your line would maintain unlimited data in this scenario. You can then switch phones with your wife.

chuckawd

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site

I use Google voice a lot and I'm constantly checking emails, tethering, YouTubeing etc. And that consumes a hefty amount if data. I would say that I use 11gb avg per month.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

bjboucher

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
I just talked to the manager at my Verizon store and he said I could activate a new phone on my wife account, then transfer it over to my line which will allow me to keep my unlimited data. Not sure how long this loophole will stay open but I'm probably going to take advantage of it this weekend and upgrade my Tbolt to a SGS3.

redcat22

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
I just talked to the manager at my Verizon store and he said I could activate a new phone on my wife account, then transfer it over to my line which will allow me to keep my unlimited data. Not sure how long this loophole will stay open but I'm probably going to take advantage of it this weekend and upgrade my Tbolt to a SGS3.

So you and your wife have to completely separate accounts (different account #'s) with Verizon? Just want to be sure.:)

bjboucher

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
So you and your wife have to completely separate accounts (different account #'s) with Verizon? Just want to be sure.:)

Nope, we have a family plan. 4 lines. 2 smartphones (both Thunderbolts) and 2 basic text phones for the kids. Guess I should have said "line" not "account," sorry for the confusion.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roshanchoudhary