ADWLauncher EX vs Rooting/Roms

Raiders Fan 223

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
So I'm literally torn right now. I've had the TB since last March, and am strongly considering rooting and flashing custom roms. I've done a ton of research on rooting... but my phone is working great now, and I don't want to risk screwing it up.

Do any of you use ADWLauncher Ex on a unrooted phone? Will it affect battery life/performance/usability of certain apps like MyVerizon and Nfl Mobile?

The only reason I would want to root is to add the free mobile hotspot feature. Changing up the UI would be nice, but it seems that I can (apparently?) do that with ADWLauncher.

Do you have a recommendation for an android noob? Thanks :)

worwig

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
I rooted mine early on so I could do a good weekly backup. Late last year I started playing with alternate roms because of the stock rom ringtone screw up. I wasn't really that unhappy with the stock rom.
I run Go Launcher EX. IMHO the best of the aftermarket launchers. Use 'Desktop Migrate' and it will place most of the icons from Sense onto Go Launcher automatically saving a lot of setup time.
I suspect my battery life suffers from all of the widgets that I have in the screen though. In fact I am going back to Sense for a while to verify that.

Last edited:

androidguy916

Oct 10, 2010
Visit site
I used ADW EX on a stock TB and love it. I like the customizations and don't have the issue of Sense crashing every time I close an application which got really annoying. I tried a couple of others but always went back to ADW EX. I haven't noticed any battery issues but I run the Rezound battery and I can still get 12 to 24 hours of battery. Try different launchers to see which one you like. I didn't root or install custom ROMs since I'm happy with the stock experience. So far, I can do everything I need to do without rooting. The desktop customizations alone were worth it. I did miss some of the Sense widgets at first but I've lived without them for so long I forgot what they were.

Bill

firepsych

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I know what you mean. I've been looking for a good reason to root. Truth is I hardly use the hot-spot. If I need it I go to My Verizon app and activate it. The next day I go and cancel it so I'm only charged a pro-rated amount. Also Foxfi doesn't work well with the TB.

I'm using Nemus Launcher and Widgetzoid. Both are free in the Play Store. Phone is fast, smooth and reliable. Very few issues.

I think Nemus is a little nicer than Launcher Pro and not as over the top as Go Launcher.

Dialer One gives you landscape dialing also which is missing from Sense.
Go does also but its slow.

Good luck. Enjoy your TB.

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Truth is I hardly use the hot-spot. If I need it I go to My Verizon app and activate it. The next day I go and cancel it so I'm only charged a pro-rated amount.
I don't know how many folks around here will appreciate the "voice of reason" that you have expressed, but I do.

-Frank

Last edited:
Reactions: firepsych

firepsych

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Duuuuude. I think that's the sweetest thing anyone has ever said to me in a phone forum.

That's what I love about Android life; nice, happy people. I was on another platform for 3 years and active on one of AC's sister forums. Not as many happy people.

Vecky

May 12, 2012
Visit site
I used ADW EX on a stock TB and love it. I like the customizations and don't have the issue of Sense crashing every time I close an application which got really annoying. I tried a couple of others but always went back to ADW EX. I haven't noticed any battery issues but I run the Rezound battery and I can still get 12 to 24 hours of battery. Try different launchers to see which one you like. I didn't root or install custom ROMs since I'm happy with the stock experience. So far, I can do everything I need to do without rooting. The desktop customizations alone were worth it. I did miss some of the Sense widgets at first but I've lived without them for so long I forgot what they were.

Bill

Hi, I am new in the Android system and I just installed the ADW launcher EX in my phone. On the home page the Google search bar has been replace white a different search bar (in Chinese).
Is there any way to remove or uninstall this search bar. Any recommendations?

firepsych

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Sure, you would just hold your finger on it until it highlights and then drag it to the garbage container. Should work the same as customizing any other icon/widget on your screen.