HTC hardware /Verizon problems

okarrah@gmail.com

May 23, 2011
Visit site
First time poster, in need of some Thunderbolt and Verizon guidance.

Tonight i plugged my TB in as usual prior to bed, and something felt odd. I checked the USB port to find the plastic support and the pins had broken.
I've done some research and found that apparently its a known issue(?) and that VZW helped some customers get new phones due to it being under warranty.

Upon calling VZW they told me that it is not a known issue and that it will not be covered under warranty, that i would have to file a claim with the insurance company.

I called to file a claim, and upon asking if the deductible was truly $99 for a phone i paid under or about $160 for with a free extended battery, i contacted verizon back, they told me again, nothing they can do, its my fault it broke.
I paid $160 for this phone about 6-8 months ago, no later.

Does anyone have anything they can offer me in the way of support or assistance in what i should do?
I use my phone all the time for work and family, but also for NWS storm spotting and chasing for public safety.

PM or shoot a reply

thanks

bjboucher

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
It's not a known issue. All Micro USB ports should be the same so it could've happened to any device. You're going to have to suck it up and pay the insurance. As far as you paying $160 for the phone, that was at a discount because of upgrade. The phone's full value at release was 2-3 times more than that. I forget the exact amount now.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
you can try to call back to see if you can get another csr to agree.

Other than that, if your port is broken, cheapest option would be to buy an external battery charger and have a spare so you swap the battery every day. Another option would be the wireless charging back and base which would cost more but is still cheaper than paying $100 for insurance claim.

If you are really handy, you could buy the parts and fix it yourself, part

Last edited:

worwig

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
Isn't it under warranty?
Can't you just call and tell them it isn't charging?
Don't they cover that hardware defect?

okarrah@gmail.com

May 23, 2011
Visit site
I told them its less than a year old, they told me that warranty does not cover charging issues, cables or damage to the USB port on the phone.
the email i received back gave no assistance, but generally the same scripted response i got while talking to the two employees via the phone.

the price i paid makes no difference to me but upon reviewing info on a search of the web, i have seen other people having the same issues as i am with help from verizon in replacing their current phone.

I'm going to call again in the morning to see what I can figure out.
Thanks for the responses, just wish i didnt have a year left on contract so i could upgrade to the maxx.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Call Verizon again. Ask if they have a Retention dept. It isn't your fault in my opinion. Tell them the phone isn't charging. See what they can do. They can override what customer care says.

Sent from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk

Jrocker23

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I had the same issue and sent it back to verizon themselves and they replaced it free of charge. Just tell them it doesnt charge and when you went to plug it in it seems the pins are unaligned and you cant plug the charger into it