Purchased Thunderbolt during Launch, how to keep unlimited date?

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Re: Purchased Thunderbolt during Launch, how to keep unlimited da

What exactly is a subsidize,or unsubsidized phone? Im lost here

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

Subsidized is when you get a phone on contract at a reduced price (the carrier lowers the price as incentive to keep you on contract). Unsubsidized is when you don't renew your contract, stay month to month, and pay full retail price for the phone.

brandonx1000

rule the air.
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site

What exactly is a subsidize,or unsubsidized phone? Im lost here

subsidized = 2 year contract price (ex. razr maxx $200)

unsubsidized = full retail cost (ex. razr maxx $650)

johnriii

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site

WT*

I might just leave Verizon because of this!

Leaving Verizon may just be a temporary band aid, because eventually, all of the carriers will have similar plans. it doesn't make fiscal sense for One carrier to have unlimited data, and the other three don't. I'm sticking with Verizon, and will either save up to 1400 in the next year for two new phones, or deal with the tiered plans. the network is much more reliable than any of the others, so I'm willing to get what I pay for, so to speak. this sucks, because I easily use over 10GB per month on youtube and Netflix. time to relearn new data habits!!

funguy123us

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

Leaving Verizon may just be a temporary band aid, because eventually, all of the carriers will have similar plans. it doesn't make fiscal sense for One carrier to have unlimited data, and the other three don't. I'm sticking with Verizon, and will either save up to 1400 in the next year for two new phones, or deal with the tiered plans. the network is much more reliable than any of the others, so I'm willing to get what I pay for, so to speak. this sucks, because I easily use over 10GB per month on youtube and Netflix. time to relearn new data habits!!

Honestly i don't use much data most month (2 - 3 GB), but there are months where I will go way over by streaming videos..

The reason I will leave verizon is so far their "shared plan" is the worst of all! I have to spend my resources well! can't just give it verizon just because they are a bit better then others..

May 20, 2011
Visit site

subsidized = 2 year contract price (ex. razr maxx $200)

unsubsidized = full retail cost (ex. razr maxx $650)

Do unsubsidized phones really sell at full MSRP or can you find them cheaper after the initial launch like most other gadgets?

I could see paying $200 more to keep unlimited Data but $400-500?

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site

Do unsubsidized phones really sell at full MSRP or can you find them cheaper after the initial launch like most other gadgets?

Prices generally drop significantly on craigslist, ebay, etc after a few months. That is unless it has an Apple logo on it and that's because they're dumb enough to pay anything.

Reactions: Johnny Postman

the1m.polo

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
My upgrade is not until Nov 17, Is there way to move that date up (by calling CS etc?) so that I can upgrade now and keep the unlimited data?
I am afraid that VZ will start the shared plan soon and then i will be forced into it..

Purchase a new phone now by adding a line family share "talk plan"..$9.99mo.(order the GS3 i recommend )... you will be signed up for a new data plan..on the new line..
go on Craigslist or ebay find a cheap flip phone(non smart phone) for $15-$25 ..move the new Smartphone to your unlimited line and put the cheap phone on the new line dropping the data plan on the new line...this will cost an extra 9.99 a month but u get 3 things
1. Keep unlimited data on your current line with a new phone.. and
2. A new line to use every 2 years to upgrade and switch the phone too your unlimited data line ...
3. A new Number for whatever reason u may need
for me its worth ..vzw lte is the best in my area and i use lots of data

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

It takes a, while for prices to drop. For example, the rezound and razr have been out over 6 months, retail on them is $650 and $ 600,respectively. The bionic is $500. You can buy a. Clnr for less, you would have to call in to get the latest pricing, and selection varies. The advantage of clnr is that it carries a full one year warranty, buying used generally has no warranty,

Whether or not it is worth it depends on your usage. I will save around $800 a month using the current plan over the shared plan for my line alone, and I have 4 lines with Verizon.

adaorange

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site

Purchase a new phone now by adding a line family share "talk plan"..$9.99mo.(order the GS3 i recommend )... you will be signed up for a new data plan..on the new line..
go on Craigslist or ebay find a cheap flip phone(non smart phone) for $15-$25 ..move the new Smartphone to your unlimited line and put the cheap phone on the new line dropping the data plan on the new line...this will cost an extra 9.99 a month but u get 3 things
1. Keep unlimited data on your current line with a new phone.. and
2. A new line to use every 2 years to upgrade and switch the phone too your unlimited data line ...
3. A new Number for whatever reason u may need
for me its worth ..vzw lte is the best in my area and i use lots of data

how do you switch phones around from the 'new data plan' to the 'unlimited data plan'?

the1m.polo

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
how do you switch phones around from the 'new data plan' to the 'unlimited data plan'?

Well with a 4g LTE phone it should be easy as swapping sim cards or turn off the phone on the line you want to Activate then on the phone you want on that line dial *228 then select the prompt to activate a phone and put the number in.....if all else fails go to a store or call VZW

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Prices generally drop significantly on craigslist, ebay, etc after a few months. That is unless it has an Apple logo on it and that's because they're dumb enough to pay anything.

Jealous that iOS devices hold their value better?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Well with a 4g LTE phone it should be easy as swapping sim cards or turn off the phone on the line you want to Activate then on the phone you want on that line dial *228 then select the prompt to activate a phone and put the number in.....if all else fails go to a store or call VZW

I thought *228 wasn't needed for LTE phones.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site

It isn't. It doesn't even work on LTE phones and can possibly cause issues.

Reactions: Ry

zog1977

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
I just bought a rezound off ebay. This phone rocks. I will keep this one for a while. I don't see anything good enough to justify and upgrade right now. I will consider the 3 line upgrade trick. That's a good idea.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2