Purchased Thunderbolt during Launch, how to keep unlimited date?

funguy123us

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
My upgrade is not until Nov 17, Is there way to move that date up (by calling CS etc?) so that I can upgrade now and keep the unlimited data?
I am afraid that VZ will start the shared plan soon and then i will be forced into it..

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Re: Purchased Thunderbolt during Launch, how to keep unlimited da

My upgrade is not until Nov 17, Is there way to move that date up (by calling CS etc?) so that I can upgrade now and keep the unlimited data?
I am afraid that VZ will start the shared plan soon and then i will be forced into it..

No official way to move up your date, that's why I always pick the shortest upgrade date possible, and it was only $30 more to get a 1 year contract anyways over 2 year for me. But you can try to call them and see what they say. they can reset the upgrade date, but typically, they only do so under extraordinary circumstances. still, you can try if you want to, not much to lose.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

As far as we know, Verizon will NOT be forcing anyone off of unlimited data.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site

As it stands now, you'll only be forced off if you use an upgrade after the changes go into effect which is rumored for sometime this summer. Only way to get around that is to either a) not upgrade or b)pay full retail or buy from ebay/craigslist but there's no time frame on how long Verizon will allow that to work.

johnriii

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site

what HE said. either upgrade before the new tiered plans are in place, or you are stuck with the smartphone you have. or you can shell out full retail price for your new device. they kind of have us by the shorthairs, so to speak. I've heard rumors of 10GB for $50.00 is going to be offered on family plans, but I'm assuming that would be per phone, but you know how rumors go. and if thats true, I'm going to have to ramp WAAY back on my netflix and youtube usage. word of advice....Use WiFi everywhere you can.

funguy123us

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

Thanks all..

Sounds like my options are (in order) ..
(1) Call Verizon to see if they will do anything
(2) Hope that shared data plan aren't coming until Nov 18 :)
(3) Stay with Thunderbolt as long as I can and then buy used or full price phone
(4) Switch to T-mobile
(5) Switch to Sprint

dizlmonsta

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site

Check out CREDO mobile. They lease Sprint's network -- so you can get 4G coverage the same as on Sprint -- but they don't give money to ridiculously evil politicians and Super PACs like the others do. They'll also buy out your contract (I think up to $350) and some other interesting perks.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site

Apparently they are now making the changes. I had told my friends in CA about it and they are upgrading to 4G devices. He got his last night at Best Buy and they had to call Verizon to make sure he could keep his unlimited data because BB said they have to give it up. She will be upgrading on Friday and this is ridiculous.

I had to go into a Verizon store today and sure enough, they aren't letting people keep the unlimited if they upgrade so it is already happening. I will just have to pay full retail if my beloved TB doesn't last. I won't give up my unlimited. I use it a lot and am not giving Verizon anymore of my hard earned money. I also played with the new Samsung. It is nice. Just wish Verizon was getting another HTC I love my Thunderbolt but don't want the Rezound. My upgrade time is April 2013

funguy123us

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

Apparently they are now making the changes. I had told my friends in CA about it and they are upgrading to 4G devices. He got his last night at Best Buy and they had to call Verizon to make sure he could keep his unlimited data because BB said they have to give it up. She will be upgrading on Friday and this is ridiculous.

I had to go into a Verizon store today and sure enough, they aren't letting people keep the unlimited if they upgrade so it is already happening. I will just have to pay full retail if my beloved TB doesn't last. I won't give up my unlimited. I use it a lot and am not giving Verizon anymore of my hard earned money. I also played with the new Samsung. It is nice. Just wish Verizon was getting another HTC I love my Thunderbolt but don't want the Rezound. My upgrade time is April 2013

Are you saying if someone is eligible today they won't get to keep their unlimited data?

According to this (http://www.droid-life.com/2012/06/0...erizon-and-you-keep-your-unlimited-data-plan/) you could?

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Getting mixed answers. They get to keep it. I called Verizon again. She said yes. She said for now ....this is nerving. Why can't the company make up their mind. Yes or no....

Sent from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk

dizlmonsta

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site

Also CREDO mobile still offers unlimited data :) I don't work for them just trying to promote a good company.

Reactions: Chris.Inc2

willis936

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
Do they have LTE service?

Also you keep unlimited data on a line as long as you've had that line active and on a smartphone since before they introduced tiered data (last fall).

johnriii

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site

this whole unlimited data issue is becoming a huge pain in the ________. they haven't even laid out the new tiered plans yet, so they should allow people who have unlimited to grandfather it over to their next updgrade. either put out the new plans, or stick to what's out there now. When you really get down to it, Greed is the problem. Verizon has let us enjoy unlimited data for a while, and now they figure (probably correctly so) that the tiered plans won't suffice most of us medium to heavy data users. seriously, how long does it take to burn through 2GB of data? I've backed down from netflix 100% since the announcement, and I'm still over 3GB in less than a month. unlike another poster, I WILL NOT pay full price for my next smartphone, but a single core phone in 2013? I love my Tbolt, but it will be time to move on. so yes, they pretty much have us where they want us. maybe they WILL offer a set fee for those who can afford unlimited data, but I bet it would be some astronomical monthly fee. what is it now, 2GB for $30.00/month, per phone? I'd burn through that in about a week. damn you, corporate america!!!

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Do they have LTE service?

Also you keep unlimited data on a line as long as you've had that line active and on a smartphone since before they introduced tiered data (last fall).

Currently, yes, but verizon will end that this summer. Meaning, if you upgrade after a certain as yet undetermined date and get a subsidized phone, then you will lose unlimited data. You can buy an unsubsidized phone and keep unlimited data.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
The days of unlimited unthrottled 4glte data on subsidized phone are numbered. Your other option is, Sprint's 4glte network, but their service isn't anywhere near as good as verizon for total network coverage. That, and I suspect that sprint will get rid of unlimited data at some time in the future.

In the past, Verizon has given official notice, but maybe just a few days to a few weeks early. I don't think that this will be any different.

this whole unlimited data issue is becoming a huge pain in the ________. they haven't even laid out the new tiered plans yet, so they should allow people who have unlimited to grandfather it over to their next updgrade. either put out the new plans, or stick to what's out there now. When you really get down to it, Greed is the problem. Verizon has let us enjoy unlimited data for a while, and now they figure (probably correctly so) that the tiered plans won't suffice most of us medium to heavy data users. seriously, how long does it take to burn through 2GB of data? I've backed down from netflix 100% since the announcement, and I'm still over 3GB in less than a month. unlike another poster, I WILL NOT pay full price for my next smartphone, but a single core phone in 2013? I love my Tbolt, but it will be time to move on. so yes, they pretty much have us where they want us. maybe they WILL offer a set fee for those who can afford unlimited data, but I bet it would be some astronomical monthly fee. what is it now, 2GB for $30.00/month, per phone? I'd burn through that in about a week. damn you, corporate america!!!

AZSALUKI

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Its still in place, but I've seen people lose it when upgrading and then have to call immediately and get it back.

sent from my bolt using tapatalk

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Apparently you were being lied to.

Or the rep was trying to move people out of unlimited early.

Verizon has made no further announcements about their change in policy with regards to grandfather unlimited data plans and contract renewals/device upgrades.

Until they announce the changes officially, it's business as usual.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Verizon has officially announced that they will axe unlimited data for those getting subsidized phones. You can keep unlimited data if you get an unsubsidized phone. They have not however given a date when this will take place. However, if I were a betting man, I would say it would happen before the lte capable iPhone comes out. But you are right, it has not started yet.

Apparently you were being lied to.

Or the rep was trying to move people out of unlimited early.

Verizon has made no further announcements about their change in policy with regards to grandfather unlimited data plans and contract renewals/device upgrades.

Until they announce the changes officially, it's business as usual.

robrecht

Pretty good member
Feb 13, 2011
Visit site

I suspect they are planning for the influx of so many new iPhone 4G users; it makes sense that they will stop the unlimited data plans on subsidized phones sometime before the new Verizon iPhone 4G comes out. Anybody know when that will be?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

I suspect they are planning for the influx of so many new iPhone 4G users; it makes sense that they will stop the unlimited data plans on subsidized phones sometime before the new Verizon iPhone 4G comes out. Anybody know when that will be?

no one knows, but, my guess would be it would be in October, given that all other iPhones have followed a 1year or more interval.

i am hoping that the razr hd or a similar htc would come out before this change.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Agentirish