Thunderbolt randomly drops all service

KJ78

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
Not so fast. I've had the extended battery and door since January. I had no problems at first but have had the same problems everyone else is describing for the last few months.

jackmei2

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
I just called cs today to see what the problem could be and they had me swap out my sim at a vzw store. Swapped it out and flashed back to stock and still having major issues. Called vzw back and they said since I didn't have the replacement plan and its been over a year since I bought the phone I'm SOL. Told me to activate an old phone or buy a certified like new phone. How did you guys get replacement phones if you were past the year for the original warranty? I figure I may threaten to leave and pay etf and see if that gets me anywhere...

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I just called cs today to see what the problem could be and they had me swap out my sim at a vzw store. Swapped it out and flashed back to stock and still having major issues. Called vzw back and they said since I didn't have the replacement plan and its been over a year since I bought the phone I'm SOL. Told me to activate an old phone or buy a certified like new phone. How did you guys get replacement phones if you were past the year for the original warranty? I figure I may threaten to leave and pay etf and see if that gets me anywhere...

Get the extended warranty. I am glad I did
Think of it like a car.....
Threatening to leave won't get you anywhere
So I suggest ebay or Craigslist for a phone or even in the market on this site. When you get a new phone get the extended warranty....it saved me twice. WORTH IT. 1.99 MONTH

sent from my Rezound

Reactions: jackmei2

am4966

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site

Got the extended warranty, which last for 2yrs or got replacement before 1yr and then you get 90 day warranty

However they had me go into settings tonight mobile network<access points<menu<rest to default. I turned my phone off they did some stuff on there end reboot and I had new PRL 15145

Tech said I won't have anymore problems this was a fix. I don't believe them so next call will be my 3Rd time for this phone!

Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Central Forums

Reactions: jackmei2

jackmei2

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
Ah, I didn't even know I could just get the extended warranty alone without getting the phone insurance. Guess it makes sense to get a new phone off of contract anyway to keep unlimited data.

Trentoncc24

Jan 14, 2012
Visit site
So the extended warranty is 1.99 a month? I'm guessing you pay that every month for 2 years then that fee goes away because the warranty expires after 2 years? Or does it continue as long as you keep paying 1.99? Does anyone know?

ToddL

May 7, 2011
Visit site
Got the extended warranty, which last for 2yrs or got replacement before 1yr and then you get 90 day warranty

However they had me go into settings tonight mobile network<access points<menu<rest to default. I turned my phone off they did some stuff on there end reboot and I had new PRL 15145

Tech said I won't have anymore problems this was a fix. I don't believe them so next call will be my 3Rd time for this phone!

They had me do the access points/reset to default thing too, that didn't fix anything for me. However, they didn't do anything beyond that for me, so maybe you'll have better luck with whatever else they did on their end.

I'm just going to tough it out and hope that ICS fixes it.

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site

Hmmm, I'm on PRL 14012, nothing I do seems to change it (ex. power down, SIM card pull). Regardless, I highly doubt it has anything to do with the data drop issue as the PRL is usually only for roaming purposes (to find appropriate towers to connect to when roaming). Let us know how it works out. :)

jackmei2

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
I'm on the same PRL 15145 and I'm dropping the data connection like CRAZY! it's making the process of redownloading my apps a real pain right now.

am4966

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Well it was working, just started having data drops. Gonna call them back again. Maybe they'll give me a Rezound or Maxx not holding my breath though:banghead:

racrx451

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
I have been having the same problems with mine. Extended battery as well but last night I uninstalled Facebook and messenger then reinstalled the actual app from Google play and I haven't had any problems with dropping service at all. It would only drop service when trying to do things on fb. Works great...so far.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I found the Facebook app to be a lot more stable when I remember to shut the GPS off before starting it. I'm wondering, since the GPS and 4G antennae are both (I think) on the back cover, if there's some form of interference there. It doesn't make a lot of sense, though, since I have plenty of apps (mapping, GasBuddy, etc) that use data and GPS simultaneously and they don't seem to have all the problems Facebook does.

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
I don't think GPS or any particular app is the cause, but just a symptom. I rarely ever have GPS enabled/on and I've never had the Facebook app installed and still occasionally experience a bout of data drops regardless of what I'm doing on the phone. Sometimes it happens with an app, other times when just browsing the web, sometimes it happens on its own even if I'm not using the phone at all. In either case it's very random and will usually correct itself at some point. Other times toggling airplane mode helps. But ultimately from my experience the best way to minimize the issue seems to be a battery and SIM card pull about once a day (something I do anyway as I swap out for a fresh battery, never charge them in the phone).

As I posted earlier in the thread, I still think Droidforums.net posted some really good info as to what's going on and options to consider:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...s/218137-why-my-lte-device-dropping-data.html

"Why is my LTE device dropping in data.
1) If the device is not staying connected and constantly dropping data it could be a hardware issue.

Solution: Change out devices. Try doing an exchange and if you still experience constant drops you may need to look at swapping to a different handset all together (ie from Nexus to razr).

2) 4g has been working fine but lately I am getting no connection, mms fails, and sometimes calls will not connect

Solution: Swap out sim cards.

3) My 4g works great but out of no where it drops off for 2 mins.

Solution: It is designed that way. Talked to an engineer and the idea is that if a tower gets congested it switches you to another tower. That momentary swap causes you to momentarily lose data.

But that did not happen before. More and more people are buying lte devices causing more congestion. The idea of switching people from tower to tower is designed so you do not lose data completely or for long periods of time. I am playing with at&t lte and I would rather lose data for 2 mins once or twice a day than 20 mins.

But its happening more than twice a day. Call a tech they may need to reset the provisions in your phone to make sure its locking on to the towers. Also as OEMS learn more about the network they are building better radios and more efficient processors to lessen the time it takes to switch."

Edit: bolded above is probably why newer phones don't appear to be be affected as much. I'd bet they actually are, but are so much better at switching than our first gen LTE Thunderbolts that most don't notice it.

Last edited:

ToddL

May 7, 2011
Visit site
Called VZW last night about this. Of course they acted like they hadn't heard of it, and it was an issue specific to my phone only. But after fighting hard (since I'm way out of warranty), they're sending me a new TB. If that has the data issue, hoping I'll now have leverage to press for a different phone.

Unobtanium

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Called VZW last night about this. Of course they acted like they hadn't heard of it, and it was an issue specific to my phone only. But after fighting hard (since I'm way out of warranty), they're sending me a new TB. If that has the data issue, hoping I'll now have leverage to press for a different phone.

Wow. they still have Thunderbolts in stock?

tag8330

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
I have been through the same problems with my wife's and my thunderbolt, I have already had a replacement for my phone due to a broken screen. So i have had the problem with 3 phones with 3 different SIM cards and 2 different phone numbers. I talked to Verizon they said there is a known issue with no estimated time of repair. So I guess they do not know what is going on either. The store is shipping me 2 news well reconditioned phones we will see how that works then I am talking to Tier 3. This is a great phone but what good is it if I cannot get online?

tag8330

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
I have read that it my be an issue with the antenna causing dropped data has anyone else heard this

Last edited:

johnriii

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
those of you gettting new phones, please keep us updated. I'd be curious to see if it's just a hardware issue, even though I believe its a combination of bad radio and the network. I have personally checked with other people on LTE with Verizon, and they report very little drop off as far as data connection. three people with the Razr maxx stated that they never lose connection. so maybe its the fact that the Tbolt is just OLD.

bpyazel

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrpSrm1_-YE&feature=youtube_gdata_player

This has been happening since June 2012 to both the Thunderbolts on my account. Sim cards have been replaced and one phone was replaced. Nothing has fixed it. There have been times in the past where i thought i fixed the issue, but those turned out to be only temporary. Verizon's network has become complete garbage IMO. I've had an open ticket for this issue for eight weeks now. Everytime I call I'm told I will just have to wait longer for it to be resolved. I'm seriously considering cancelling all six of my lines soon.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals37